Has anyone purposefully taken a cruise and flown home from one port?

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 11:30 AM.
Charlotte, NC
11,115 Posts
Joined Nov 2004
Originally posted by coevan
and...... if you took your baggage and passport and went to the airport? Do you really think you broke any laws? You are not writing in advance if you just do not like the experience, someone at home fell ill, you got injured on the ship, you think you have to write in for a request?
Exactly why the guests should not entertain the thought of pre-approval. Better to beg forgiveness later than ask permission before, if there is any chance the answer is no.

What are they going to do, stop you from leaving and hold you prisoner? Not unless you have broken any laws. Just tell them there is an urgent family matter and you must leave unexpectedly. No more information is needed and they can't read you mind as to your motivations.

One caution, in the USA it is illegal for a foreign flagged vessel (which all Carnival ships are) to transport a passenger from one port in the USA to another, embark to disembark. The pre-approval could be so they can deny people who would be breaking the law. Since the topic is disembarking outside the USA, the Jones Act will not apply.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
08/18 Carnival Fascination | 04/12 NCL Spirit | 01/11 Carnival Liberty | 08/10 NCL Pride of America | 11/09 Carnival Miracle | 8/08 NCL Pearl | 5/08 NCL Majesty | 3/07 Celebrity Mercury | 9/06 Elation | 3/06 Carnival Valor | 2/05 NCL Majesty | 11/03 Jubilee | 9/01 Holiday
Florida
136 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
I went on the Allure of the Seas last year. Our 2nd to last port was San Juan and there were SEVERAL people that got off here with all of their luggage. So I'm assuming you can do it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Leesha J

"I don't follow trends. I do my own thing. Last time someone told me to 'follow the crowd' I ended up in a Dutch brothel."
- Me, on my Amsterdam trip

Carnival Vista - April 2018
RC Allure of the Seas - May 2017
Carnival Victory - February 2016
NCL Epic - April 2013
Carnival Miracle - January 2012
Carnival Sensation - November 2011
RC Navigator of the Seas - February 2011
Carnival Liberty - May 2009
Carnival Inspiration - October 2008

Coastal GA USA
23,749 Posts
Joined Nov 2007
Originally posted by RedLightVegas
I went on the Allure of the Seas last year. Our 2nd to last port was San Juan and there were SEVERAL people that got off here with all of their luggage. So I'm assuming you can do it.
In many ports you will see people debarking and embarking with luggage. Most often they are entertainers, 'fly-ons' who board and do a few shows, debark and get on another ship in a day or so, or even the same day. EM
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Booked: Celebrity Equinox 08/25/18
Carnival Splendor 1/14/18 13 nites
Carnival Elation 12/11/17 5 nites
Carnival Fascination 10/8/17 4 nites
Carnival Magic 8/26/17 8 nites
Carnival Pride B2B 21 nites 2/19/17 Caribbean
Carnival Glory 8/27/16
MSC Divina 5/7/16
Carnival Fascination 22 Feb 2016 Bahamas
MSC Divina 11/20-23/2013 Bahamas
Coral Princess 17 July 2013 Alaska
Celebrity Silhouette 22 May 2013 Adriatic & Italy
Queen Elizabeth 15 May 2013 4 nights
Celebrity Infinity 16 April 2013 B2B San Diego to Harwich
Nieuw Amsterdam Mediterranean 4/30 - 5/24/2012
Millennium B2B2B 2/6-20/2012 Caribbean
Caribbean Princess 10/29/2011 Caribbean Islander NY to FLL
Celebrity Solstice 5/1/2011 FLL to Barcelona
Carnival Fascination 2/28/11 Bahamas
QM 2 12/8/2010 Caribbean Delights
Celebrity Summit 10/24/10 B2B NY to San Juan
Emerald Princess 8/29/10 Western Caribbean
Diamond Princess 5/29/10 B2B Alaska
Westerdam 2/7/10 Eastern & Southern Caribbean
Carnival Dream 10/27/09 Transatlantic
Carnival Sensation 6/18/09 Bahamas
Carnival Splendor 5/17/09 B2B Mexi-not to Canada
Oosterdam 2/28/09 San Diego to Rome 32 nights
Carnival Fascination 12/13/08 Bahamas
QE 2 7/31/08 Lands of Fire and Ice
Celebration 3/27/08 Bahamas
Celebration 1/26/08 Bahamas
Norwegian Spirit 10/20/07 CTN
Elation 4/23/07 B2B Bahamas
Zenith 8/2006 Bermuda
Calypso 7/2005 Greek Isles
Star Princess Inaugural 2/2002 Pacific Rim Singapore to LA 26 nights
Millennium 8/2000 Baltic
Fantasy 6/1999 Bahamas
Royal Princess 1/1999 Buenos Aires to Manaus
Home Lines Oceanic x 2 1973 NYC to Nassau 7 nights
Homes Lines Homeric x2 Eastern Caribbean 1972 10 nights
Charlotte, NC
11,115 Posts
Joined Nov 2004
On the Fascination, both San Juan and Barbados are embarkation / disembarkation ports. San Juan mostly for Americans and Barbados mostly for Europeans.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
08/18 Carnival Fascination | 04/12 NCL Spirit | 01/11 Carnival Liberty | 08/10 NCL Pride of America | 11/09 Carnival Miracle | 8/08 NCL Pearl | 5/08 NCL Majesty | 3/07 Celebrity Mercury | 9/06 Elation | 3/06 Carnival Valor | 2/05 NCL Majesty | 11/03 Jubilee | 9/01 Holiday
80 Posts
Joined Mar 2017
When we were on our honeymoon we saw a group on people debarked in St. Maarten with all of their luggage. I don’t think there is anyway to actually stop just walking off the ship...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Victory 4/12 Honeymoon Cruise

Carnival Glory 8/13
Mom’s Cancer Victory Cruise

Carnival Splendor 7/14
Babymoon Cruise

Carnival Splendor 8/16
Baby’s 1st Cruise

Carnival Pride 7/17
Family Cruise

Carnival Horizon 6/18
MIL’s Birthday Cruise

Carnival Glory 8/19
Family Cruise
New Hampshire
2,606 Posts
Joined Mar 2015
Why don’t they just fly into Grand Turk for your wedding, and then fly home?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
~~~ Cruising Christine ~~~

My past cruises:

#1: Carnival Dream / 10-25-2015 / 7 days / New Orleans, Montego Bay, Grand Cayman, Cozumel ***Halloween Cruise***
#2: Carnival Conquest / 7-2-2016 / 5 days / Ft Lauderdale, Nassau, Half Moon Cay, Grand Turk ***4th of July Cruise***
#3: Carnival Conquest / 7-7-2016 / 4 days / Ft Lauderdale, Nassau, Freeport ***Carnival LIVE w/ Trace Adkins***
#4: Carnival Fascination / 11-6-16 / 7 days / San Juan, St Thomas, Barbados, St Lucia, St Kitts, St Maarten ***40th Birthday Cruise***
#5: Carnival Legend / 4-30-17 / 8 days / Vancouver, Tracy Arm, Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay, Ketchikan, Seattle ***Cinco de Mayo***
#6: Carnival Magic / 10-28-17 / 7 days / Port Canaveral, Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, Costa Maya ***2nd Halloween Cruise***
#7: Carnival Horizon / 4-22-18 / 7 days / Barcelona, Messina, Naples, Rome, Livorno, Marseilles ***Husband's 50th Birthday Cruise***
#8: Carnival Imagination / 9-2-18 / 4 days / Long Beach, Catalina Island, Ensenada ***Labor Day Cruise***

My future cruises:
#9: Carnival Conquest / 2-24-19 / 6 days / Ft Lauderdale, Nassau, Half Moon Cay, Grand Turk, Amber Cove ***10th Anniversary Cruise***
#10: Carnival Conquest / 3-2-19 / 8 days / Ft Lauderdale, Princess Cays, Grand Turk, Curacao, Aruba ***2nd B2B on Conquest***
#11: Carnival Vista / 11-30-19 / 7 days / Galveston, Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Montego Bay ***After-Thanksgiving Cruise***
#12: TBD ***Platinum Cruise***
322 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
I don't think the issue is if carnival will let you off the ship. The issues might arise at customs and immigration at the airport. I don't think they will jail you like the USA authorities would do, if the roles where reversed, but you might be fined or detained so long you miss your flight. Don't think that just because you hold a US pass port you can go where you please.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Conquest 5/2017 (Grand Cayman,Roatan,Belize,Cozumel)
Carnival Pride 3/2016 (Bermuda)
RCCL Grandeur 5/2014 (Nassau, cococay)
Carnival Pride 9/2013 (Nassau, FreePort Bahamas)
RCCL Liberty 8/2009 (Labadee, San Juan, St.Maarten)
Toronto, Canada
4,494 Posts
Joined May 2006
Most mid voyage departures happen because of emergencies. I was traveling with someone that had to leave in St Thomas due to a medical emergency at home. There was no problem doing so, just took some arranging.

Grand Turk is not a US possession, so there should be no US legal issue disembarking there.

One needs to contact the cruise line and make arrangements to leave the ship mid voyage. There is likely going to be a bit of paperwork. The ship needs to know so it doesn't have to page the passenger(s) and check the cabin safe for passports. It also needs to inform the local authorities of passengers staying behind.

Turks and Caicos may have different requirements for cruise visitors and others. One should check with the appropriate authorities to determine if additional paperwork is needed. This is particularly important since an additional stay is contemplated.

Passports will definitely be needed.
The Big Easy
19,869 Posts
Joined Oct 2006
Originally posted by torcruise
I don't think they will jail you like the USA authorities would do, if the roles where reversed, but you might be fined or detained so long you miss your flight.
Huh? What are you talking about?
Cincinnati
3,886 Posts
Joined Jun 2012
1. Carnival may or may not approve it because I think that if people leave mid-cruise it complicates customs on the return because the passenger manifest has changed.

2. I don’t think carnival can stop them if they choose to do this, however, they may get questioned at the airport for not having been through customs on the way in.

3. Unless this cruise is dirt cheap, I would have to assume that flying to grand Turk and staying at a resort for a few days would be cheaper and more enjoyable with less hassle

4. The downside to this whole plan is that no port is every guaranteed to happen. If weather issues occur, a medical evacuation requires ship to go off course, or any mechanical issues occur; there’s always a chance you will miss the port. I assume the wedding is planned through carnival so if your entire cruise party is on the ship, I would suspect they will reschedule as a wedding at sea in this scenario. But if some of your wedding party is already on grand Turk; then for them it will be a trip for nothing.

Winter Garden, FL
1,045 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Originally posted by salty dingo
I assume you are NOT on the cruise, but are staying in a resort on Grand Turk, since the chance of the ship missing port would be too much risk for a wedding.

However, the crew has no issue with guests leaving early. They just request to be informed so they do not have to look for them at departure.
I and 40 guests are on the cruise, but I hope we don't miss the port since it is not a tender port. That would make things a little messy - although our reception is on board and it is just a 30 minute ceremony. I would work it out - it is not a legal wedding ceremony, more for our kids to make us an official family in their eyes.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Royal Caribbean
Sovereign of the Seas - 9/06
Enchantment of the Seas - 11/07
Monarch of the Seas - 5/09
Monarch of the Seas - 4/10
Enchantment of the Seas - 12/14

Norwegian
NCL Epic 11/12
NCL Getaway 11/22/15 - 40th Birthday Party
NCL Sky 4/15/16
NCL Getaway Take 2 - 11/20/16 First Blended Family 7 night Cruise

Carnival
Carnival Liberty 4/14
Carnival Valor - 6/12/16 Graduation Cruise
Carnival Sunshine - 4/28/17 - Southern Caribbean!

Upcoming:

Carnival Conquest - Thanksgiving 2018 - Wedding Cruise!
Crown Princess - Honeymoon - Southern Caribbean Cruise 12/7
Carnival Breeze - April 2019
NCL Epic - December 2019
NCL Encore - April 2020
Winter Garden, FL
1,045 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Originally posted by bakersdozen12
Why don’t they just fly into Grand Turk for your wedding, and then fly home?

That is what I am thinking they will do, but the reception is on the ship. I am just trying to convince them to take the entire cruise and invite the rest of their family to come along too.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Royal Caribbean
Sovereign of the Seas - 9/06
Enchantment of the Seas - 11/07
Monarch of the Seas - 5/09
Monarch of the Seas - 4/10
Enchantment of the Seas - 12/14

Norwegian
NCL Epic 11/12
NCL Getaway 11/22/15 - 40th Birthday Party
NCL Sky 4/15/16
NCL Getaway Take 2 - 11/20/16 First Blended Family 7 night Cruise

Carnival
Carnival Liberty 4/14
Carnival Valor - 6/12/16 Graduation Cruise
Carnival Sunshine - 4/28/17 - Southern Caribbean!

Upcoming:

Carnival Conquest - Thanksgiving 2018 - Wedding Cruise!
Crown Princess - Honeymoon - Southern Caribbean Cruise 12/7
Carnival Breeze - April 2019
NCL Epic - December 2019
NCL Encore - April 2020
California
1,532 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
Originally posted by escentialssoycandles
I and 40 guests are on the cruise, but I hope we don't miss the port since it is not a tender port. That would make things a little messy - although our reception is on board and it is just a 30 minute ceremony. I would work it out - it is not a legal wedding ceremony, more for our kids to make us an official family in their eyes.
Not to make you stress but you'd be surprised how many times a ship couldn't dock in Grand Turk because of weather,

Couldn't dock December 2016 on the Vista.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
SAILED:
Carnival: 13 (90 Days)
Celebrity: 4 (28 Days)
Holland America: 1 (22 Days)
Norwegian: 2 (17 Days)
Princess: 2 (15 Days)

UPCOMING:

Colorado
5,896 Posts
Joined Jun 2001
has Carnival told you they will allow non cruising guests aboard the ship? I don't think so.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnivale 82
Carla C 84
Big Red Boat 94
Imagination 96
Holiday 98
Elation 99
Victory 12/01
Destiny 12/15/02
Valor 12/19/04
Miracle 12/31/06
Victory 12/30/07
NCL Star 9/10/2011
Dream 01/03/2016 B2B 21 days
Magic 01/07/2017 B2B 14 days
Miracle 01/13/2018 Transcanal 14 days
Conquest 2/25/2018 B2B 14 days
Michigan
343 Posts
Joined Jun 2014
Originally posted by coevan
and...... if you took your baggage and passport and went to the airport? Do you really think you broke any laws? You are not writing in advance if you just do not like the experience, someone at home fell ill, you got injured on the ship, you think you have to write in for a request?
Just an interesting side note. I met an expat cruiser last fall from Cozumel. The cruise wasn't originally scheduled to stop in Cozumel, but due to the hurricanes, it did. She tried to drop off her laundry at her house, but they wouldn't let her leave with the suitcase of dirty clothes. We were laughing about it by the pool, how she had to go back to FLL and fly back home with them.
Toronto, Canada
4,494 Posts
Joined May 2006
Grand Turk has been missed due to high winds. The island is not very high above sea level and there is no harbour, so there is nothing protecting ships from the wind.
Charlotte, NC
11,115 Posts
Joined Nov 2004
Originally posted by torcruise
I don't think the issue is if carnival will let you off the ship. The issues might arise at customs and immigration at the airport. I don't think they will jail you like the USA authorities would do, if the roles where reversed, but you might be fined or detained so long you miss your flight. Don't think that just because you hold a US pass port you can go where you please.
That raises a good point... sometimes there are special rules for cruise passengers, who are only there for a short time. When someone exits a cruise unexpectedly, they assume responsibility for presenting themselves to the immigration authorities. Carnival does not want that hassle, and I don't blame them.

However, if the passenger leaves the cruise, then checks in with the local port agent, they should be directed to the proper authorities to clear the immigration hurdle.

One last point: although the cruise line will let you cruise with a birth certificate only, it's a bad idea to not have a passport, because if you need to leave the ship you will need one. The immigration in other countries will not accept a birth certificate like the cruise line will. If you miss the ship with a birth certificate, you will be in a world of hurt.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Maryland
1,457 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
We had to leave the ship in Nassau in December due to a medical emergency. To accomplish this, Carnival completed all of our immigration paperwork and took us and our luggage to be inspected. We had passports, so there were no issues there. When we left Nassau to fly home, we had to present this paperwork to check in for the flight. So, just jumping off the ship without completing a proper entry could put you into the country illegally, which could certainly cause issues when trying to depart.

And we too have missed a port call in Grand Turk due to high winds. We had a private snorkeling excursion booked and lost a $10 deposit. We could have claimed it on our travel insurance, but it just wasn't worth the time to gather the paperwork.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cindy

My cruise blog. Links to photos, Cruise Critic Member Reviews and Cruise Critic photo reviews
322 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
Originally posted by Aquahound
Huh? What are you talking about?
Just saying hypothetically if a non American got off a cruise in an American port, to later show up at the airport to fly home, with no visa or entry stamp, there might be a lot of issues! With customs, immigration, DEA, and maybe homeland security
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Conquest 5/2017 (Grand Cayman,Roatan,Belize,Cozumel)
Carnival Pride 3/2016 (Bermuda)
RCCL Grandeur 5/2014 (Nassau, cococay)
Carnival Pride 9/2013 (Nassau, FreePort Bahamas)
RCCL Liberty 8/2009 (Labadee, San Juan, St.Maarten)
New Hampshire
2,606 Posts
Joined Mar 2015

While I hope everything goes as planned, make sure your have a backup plan that you can live with if your ship can’t dock that day. It does happen with Grand Turk, due to high winds. Best of luck.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
~~~ Cruising Christine ~~~

My past cruises:

#1: Carnival Dream / 10-25-2015 / 7 days / New Orleans, Montego Bay, Grand Cayman, Cozumel ***Halloween Cruise***
#2: Carnival Conquest / 7-2-2016 / 5 days / Ft Lauderdale, Nassau, Half Moon Cay, Grand Turk ***4th of July Cruise***
#3: Carnival Conquest / 7-7-2016 / 4 days / Ft Lauderdale, Nassau, Freeport ***Carnival LIVE w/ Trace Adkins***
#4: Carnival Fascination / 11-6-16 / 7 days / San Juan, St Thomas, Barbados, St Lucia, St Kitts, St Maarten ***40th Birthday Cruise***
#5: Carnival Legend / 4-30-17 / 8 days / Vancouver, Tracy Arm, Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay, Ketchikan, Seattle ***Cinco de Mayo***
#6: Carnival Magic / 10-28-17 / 7 days / Port Canaveral, Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, Costa Maya ***2nd Halloween Cruise***
#7: Carnival Horizon / 4-22-18 / 7 days / Barcelona, Messina, Naples, Rome, Livorno, Marseilles ***Husband's 50th Birthday Cruise***
#8: Carnival Imagination / 9-2-18 / 4 days / Long Beach, Catalina Island, Ensenada ***Labor Day Cruise***

My future cruises:
#9: Carnival Conquest / 2-24-19 / 6 days / Ft Lauderdale, Nassau, Half Moon Cay, Grand Turk, Amber Cove ***10th Anniversary Cruise***
#10: Carnival Conquest / 3-2-19 / 8 days / Ft Lauderdale, Princess Cays, Grand Turk, Curacao, Aruba ***2nd B2B on Conquest***
#11: Carnival Vista / 11-30-19 / 7 days / Galveston, Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Montego Bay ***After-Thanksgiving Cruise***
#12: TBD ***Platinum Cruise***