Question for Princess to Alaska

ksuyen

Hello fellow cruisers.

Me and my partner are going to Alaska with Emerald Princess (a first Princess cruise for us, we only cruised with RCL before). We both are in our late 30s. From what we heard, Princess caters for more older generation, especially during longer cruise time (our cruise will be 13 days) and non school holiday period (it will be end April/early May), as well the destination (Alaska). For those who have been Alaska with Princess, what are generally the age demographic? We don't actually mind older peeps, especially when we prefer less children abroad, but at least we know what to expect and plan during the cruise time.

Regards.

I see you are on the 12 day round trip Los Angeles to Alaska.

A cruise of that length not during peak holiday season will draw mostly seasoned cruisers. While certainly many will be quite active and engaged ("seasoned" does not mean "preserved") there will be very few if any of the family groups that I understand commonly take long cruises from Australia--yes, 12 nights is considered a long cruise here in the USA.

And I see the cruise date in your signature is April 28, 2018. While it will be well into the 28th at home you need to be boarding on the Los Angeles date and time of April 27. Remember to set your watches back 18 hours rather than forward six (yes, I know its the exact same result...)

I'll agree and disagree with some of your assertions. Yes, the typical age on Princess is significantly older than on Disney or Royal Caribbean. However, there are kid programs and families who cruise. On all lines, you'll find fewer young families and school age kids when traditional schools are in session. This is even more pronounced at the end of the school year as there are various state mandated proficiency tests being given, etc.

I do not agree that Alaska is a place for fewer kids. There are lots of kids cruising in Alaska each summer, but not in early May. In general, the early and late cruises of the season cost less than the mid season sailings, again because fewer people are free to take those cruises

So, what to expect? You'll see a lot of 60s and older. Each age group below that will have fewer people. There will be some 20s, some 30s, etc. You probably won't even be aware of the kids because the kids on board will be mostly young ones who will either be in the programming or with their parents.

But yes, with all the variables you've built into your cruise, you can pretty much expect an older crowd.

Thanks for the answers. Yes, as I expected it would be older crowd, but it doesn't mean a bad thing at all. It means a total relaxing time, which is what we are looking for in this trip.

My husband and I are in the mid/late 30s range and can attest that you will likely be greatly outnumbered by an older demographic - especially given the time of year and the length of your cruise. We don't have a problem with this when we cruise, but we also come prepared with our own entertainment.

Just know that some/most of the evening activities will not target you (not that you won't enjoy them) - I'm talking themed musical trivia (60s and 70s), name that tune (usually a mix of genres and usually not from the last 25 years), etc. There will be lots of music/dancing in the lounges each evening, likely at least one or two comedians and a couple of production shows. Usually there are 2 shows per evening, though sometimes the shows can be shortened and there are 3 per night. There may also be a could of evening where they will show a movie in one of the lounges or in the Princess Theatre. Movies under the Stars is also a great venue, but it is weather dependent.

We always load up on our own movies/tv series on an ipad/ external hard drive and watch them either in our room or out and about using headphones. We also bring books/games/etc to help keep us entertained in the evenings.

Alaska is amazing and Princess probably does it better than anyone else. There will probably be some families with kids on your ship, but it is doubtful that you will notice them at all.

Happy cruising!

Even on Carnival, a cruise longer than seven days not during school vacations will have an older demographic.

I’m on your cruise in April (which sails April 27th on the Emerald Princess, not April 28th) and expect it to be mostly experienced, older cruisers. Probably few kids. From my observation, the older cruisers will be people still pretty active.

My husband and I are in the mid/late 30s range and can attest that you will likely be greatly outnumbered by an older demographic - especially given the time of year and the length of your cruise. We don't have a problem with this when we cruise, but we also come prepared with our own entertainment.

Just know that some/most of the evening activities will not target you (not that you won't enjoy them) - I'm talking themed musical trivia (60s and 70s), name that tune (usually a mix of genres and usually not from the last 25 years), etc. There will be lots of music/dancing in the lounges each evening, likely at least one or two comedians and a couple of production shows. Usually there are 2 shows per evening, though sometimes the shows can be shortened and there are 3 per night. There may also be a could of evening where they will show a movie in one of the lounges or in the Princess Theatre. Movies under the Stars is also a great venue, but it is weather dependent.

We always load up on our own movies/tv series on an ipad/ external hard drive and watch them either in our room or out and about using headphones. We also bring books/games/etc to help keep us entertained in the evenings.

Alaska is amazing and Princess probably does it better than anyone else. There will probably be some families with kids on your ship, but it is doubtful that you will notice them at all.

Happy cruising!

Thank you for the suggestions on personal entertainment. That's what we are going to do by downloading books and Netflix series into iPad (good thing that we can do that now, they usually retain the movies for a few weeks after downloading) and watch them in lounge.

But we will most likely enjoy the evening shows as well. If weather permits, perhaps a few swimming session in the pool or just sunbathing (probably not around Alaska).

As I said, this is going to be a total relax time. Nothing beats a book (or iBook) and a glass of wine under the sun.

As I said, this is going to be a total relax time. Nothing beats a book (or iBook) and a glass of wine under the sun.
Err... it’s not going to be a warm weather cruise. I expect it to be downright chilly. San Pedro will probably be about 70oF and it’ll be a lot colder at sea and get colder as we sail north. Might be a bit warmer as we return to LA. I’m planning on daytime temps of 40-60oF.

Hello fellow cruisers.

Me and my partner are going to Alaska with Emerald Princess (a first Princess cruise for us, we only cruised with RCL before). We both are in our late 30s. From what we heard, Princess caters for more older generation, especially during longer cruise time (our cruise will be 13 days) and non school holiday period (it will be end April/early May), as well the destination (Alaska). For those who have been Alaska with Princess, what are generally the age demographic? We don't actually mind older peeps, especially when we prefer less children abroad, but at least we know what to expect and plan during the cruise time.

Regards.

Since you are going off holiday for the kids, it will be older, but the Princess tours still have a lot for younger people to do. You can also do many of these same things on your own. Just need to plan well enough ahead of time.

We cruised Alaska on a south bound 20 years ago and we were the youngest on the ship in our 30's........no children at all.....but now many families cruise Alaska, especially with Princess paring with discovery channel on excursions and also many young couples .....I am returning this year and expect a total different demographic on my 7 day cruise.

However, you have decided to take a longer RT out of LA...this is the first sailing of this itinerary, isn't it?

No flying......... so definitely 65+. Scooters and wheel chairs will be prevalent...

I am assuming you have looked at the roll call....if it was started 2 years ago.....and hundreds of posts the crowd will mostly be retired and seasoned cruisers who booked when the cruise opened.

.....but this should not effect your enjoyment of the cruise.....as most seasoned Princess cruisers are very inviting and humorous.....and the staff are all young and appreciate seeing fresh faces.

Edited by land lover

Except for a few exceptions, any cruise that is longer 7 days, starts stops during the week will have pax that do not have to worry about kids. That being said, we have dinner with people in their 40's that we thought would never end and spent the evening with couple in their 70's that was fantastic. The bars have different music that helps separate the pax into groups. We once did a 10 dayer to Mexico out of San Francisco. We were astounded by the number of canes, crutches and wheel chairs at the cruise center. The first thing I saw on boarding was a mountain of oxygen cylinders. That's not to mention the 13 German Shepherd guide dogs. Very pleasent cruise despite the three deaths.

Except for a few exceptions, any cruise that is longer 7 days, starts stops during the week will have pax that do not have to worry about kids. That being said, we have dinner with people in their 40's that we thought would never end and spent the evening with couple in their 70's that was fantastic. The bars have different music that helps separate the pax into groups. We once did a 10 dayer to Mexico out of San Francisco. We were astounded by the number of canes, crutches and wheel chairs at the cruise center. The first thing I saw on boarding was a mountain of oxygen cylinders. That's not to mention the 13 German Shepherd guide dogs. Very pleasent cruise despite the three deaths.

Wow how did you know the number of dogs and deaths...?

A few things to consider regarding this particular cruise. It’s not a longer, warm weather get-away; most of the port tours are fairly active; it’s not a beach or shopping itinerary; there will be older people on the cruise but I don’t think it will be anything like a Hawaiian or 10-day Sea of Cortez cruise. Most older people don’t want to get cold. This cruise is going to probably be downright chilly.

A few things to consider regarding this particular cruise. It’s not a longer, warm weather get-away; most of the port tours are fairly active; it’s not a beach or shopping itinerary; there will be older people on the cruise but I don’t think it will be anything like a Hawaiian or 10-day Sea of Cortez cruise. Most older people don’t want to get cold. This cruise is going to probably be downright chilly.

But being part of the US accessible excursions must be offered at all ports of call in the state. Also many people can enjoy the scenery from their cabin ...you'll have to report back and give us the low down.....PAM from MA, Pam from MA & CA...yes some of us remember;)

Err... it’s not going to be a warm weather cruise. I expect it to be downright chilly. San Pedro will probably be about 70oF and it’ll be a lot colder at sea and get colder as we sail north. Might be a bit warmer as we return to LA. I’m planning on daytime temps of 40-60oF.

Pam, Chilly when you lived in Boston 40-60oF wasn’t it conceded a great day?

Tony

I'm on this cruise and be aware it leaves April 27 Friday. It is 12 days not 13 so be sure you booked your air accordingly. Our weather is very similar to Australia but in reverse, our summer is your winter. Are you arriving a day earlier to acclimate from your jet lag?

If you have a suite then the thermal spa will be a wonderful warm retreat. If you're not in a suite you can buy a daily pass or a cruise long pass. Alaska is a unique experience, this will be our 4th cruise there. One cruise was with RCL the rest with Princess. They are more alike (cruise lines) then different. If comparing a cruisetour I would certainly go with Princess.

I will be 66 on our next cruise to Alaska in June. Take good natured offense on all of ya'll jumping on old people like we are the walking dead. We run half-marathons, drink like fish, travel extensively, have more fun at night:p that all of you do. In jest....by the look of the all the fat young slobs on most cruises, most will never have to worry about getting old. We seniors people have stories to tell and can show you a good time.

But we will most likely enjoy the evening shows as well. If weather permits, perhaps a few swimming session in the pool or just sunbathing (probably not around Alaska).
One of my favorite memories from our first cruise to Alaska was enjoying the hot tub while the ship was docked in Skagway.

But being part of the US accessible excursions must be offered at all ports of call in the state. Also many people can enjoy the scenery from their cabin ...you'll have to report back and give us the low down.....PAM from MA, Pam from MA & CA...yes some of us remember;)
I totally agree that many will either just walk into town or enjoy the scenery from their balcony. And yes, there’ll be accessible excursions. But, I still maintain that the majority of excursions require some walking, climbing in and out of a boat, or onto and off of a train.

I’m 77 and have booked the Chilltook Yukon Adventure to Emerald Lake with the dog sled run in Skagway and Harv & Marv’s whale watch in Juneau. In Ketchikan, I booked the Deadliest Catch crab boat excursion. I’m not as fast or as agile as I used to be but my brain thinks I am. [emoji4] And I’m not alone.

Pam, Chilly when you lived in Boston 40-60oF wasn’t it conceded a great day?

Tony

Oh, yeah. No coat when it reached 50 and it wasn’t unusual for my business partners to wear shorts and t-shirts when it got that warm. (We were very casual.) Amazing what you get used to. I’ll probably freeze when I’m back in Boston in late October for a few days.

Stay warm and dry as the 4th Nor’easter hits you.

Your comment about the oxygen reminded me of the 50th aniverary Beach Boy consert we went to. Never saw so many walkers, wheel chair and oxygen bottles at a concert. Ever. Yhey were everywhere you looked.

I'm on this cruise and be aware it leaves April 27 Friday. It is 12 days not 13 so be sure you booked your air accordingly. Our weather is very similar to Australia but in reverse, our summer is your winter. Are you arriving a day earlier to acclimate from your jet lag?

If you have a suite then the thermal spa will be a wonderful warm retreat. If you're not in a suite you can buy a daily pass or a cruise long pass. Alaska is a unique experience, this will be our 4th cruise there. One cruise was with RCL the rest with Princess. They are more alike (cruise lines) then different. If comparing a cruisetour I would certainly go with Princess.

Oh that’s fine. We will be arriving a week earlier for a trip to to Las Vegas. In our previous cruise we did enjoy the thermal spa, so that’s something to consider for this cruise.

Oh that’s fine. We will be arriving a week earlier for a trip to to Las Vegas. In our previous cruise we did enjoy the thermal spa, so that’s something to consider for this cruise.

We're in Las Vegas every month, second home there. If you need a suggestion about anything maybe I can help. Come on over to the roll call for this sailing.