Sitmar Cruise Lines/Florence & Howard Gellman

Guest debbiejohncruise

Guest debbiejohncruise

Our cruise 25 years ago for our honeymoon was with a line out of Fort Lauderdale called Sitmar Cruise Lines. It was an excellent 2 week cruise in May 81 throughout the Caribbean. We still have contact with a couple who dined with us on board, who retired in Florida by the names of Howard and Florence Gellman. I know they took a lot of cruises in their lifetime but we have not heard from them this year. Anyone ever have the fortune of meeting this couple or cruising this line when it existed???

• 2 months later...

I worked on Sitmar in the Teen and Youth Centers in 1985 and 1986. It was a wonderful cruise line with superb service. I mostly sailed out of San Pedro doing the Mexico route but did a few Alaska, Caribbean and Panama Canal Cruises, too. I would love to hear from any passengers or staffers about your memories. Has anyone ever run into any Sitmar staff on Princess or any other line?

• 1 month later...

We were on the Fairwind in 1985 out of Florida. It was our first cruise and we took our 3 children 1,5,and 12 ages. We had a wonderful time. Our waiter and ass't waiter were called Burt and Ernie( nicknames). Sitmar provided everything for our 1 year old, including diapers. Maybe because it was our first but it was our best after 50 cruises.

I sailed on Sitmar five times. A Mexican Riviera twice, Dec '77 and Dec 81 on the Fairsea. Did the Fairwind twice, a Caribbean Aug '78 and a seven dayer Aug '79. Plus Fairsky Caribbean Dec '87. Love those Xmas and New Year cruises though they are so expensive. Also talked my parent and an aunt and uncle to sail on Sitmar.

We learned on oour Dec '87 sailing that something was going down with Sitmar. Latter learned that it was bought by Princess. Was very sorry to see it dissappear. Wished that they had allowed it to operate indepentdtly, but it wasn't to be.

Ron

Holland America is the new Sitmar connection I guess because when I booked on HAL two years, I got credit for my 15 day Sitmar Cruise.

You'll also get credit for sailing on Princess. They consider me a previous sailer and i've never been on Princess.

Ron

• 1 month later...
You'll also get credit for sailing on Princess. They consider me a previous sailer and i've never been on Princess.

Ron

Ron,

Where do they accummulate? I've sailed on HAL, SITMAR, Carnival, et al...would they all count toward my Captains Circle total? What benefit do you get from grouping them altogether?

Do any of you still have your original Cicolo log books or the glasses? I still have a full set of glasses in the cabinet that I occasionally use. I don't want to break any. I found my log book and looked through the stamps...:) It brought back many fond memories. Remember the pre 911 days when you could visit the ships in port by just showing your log book? That was fun too. Whenever I sailed on a SITMAR ship, it was like visiting family. I miss it...

Cindra

Ron,

Where do they accummulate? I've sailed on HAL, SITMAR, Carnival, et al...would they all count toward my Captains Circle total? What benefit do you get from grouping them altogether?

Do any of you still have your original Cicolo log books or the glasses? I still have a full set of glasses in the cabinet that I occasionally use. I don't want to break any. I found my log book and looked through the stamps...:) It brought back many fond memories. Remember the pre 911 days when you could visit the ships in port by just showing your log book? That was fun too. Whenever I sailed on a SITMAR ship, it was like visiting family. I miss it...

Cindra

Princess considers me a Captain's Circle member, but a beginner's member. I have my glasses too. My parents gave me one, but am missing oen do to breakage. Think I have six total.

Don't know if you can get your HAL and Carnival cruises added or not.

What log book are you referring to? I only remembere the passenger list book. Shame they don't do that anymore either. So many things that they used to do but do to security and costs they no longer do.

Ron

I have my glasses and log book and a bottle of Circulo Asti Spumante! I loved Sitmar. My crusies counted toward my level in the Princess Captains Circle Club. I was on the Fairsea in 1978 to Alaska and the Fairwind (which later become the original Dawn Princess) in 1983 to the Caribbean. I am delighted that I had the opportunity to sail with the line twice. -Paula

Princess considers me a Captain's Circle member, but a beginner's member.

What log book are you referring to? I only remembere the passenger list book.

Ron

Ron,

With 5 Sitmar cruises under your belt, you should now fall into the Platinum or middle Captain's Circle catagory.

The log book I was referring to had a large stamp with the name of the ship, sailing date, ports visited and miles logged printed on it. The captain also signed every one. It was a nice souvenir. I will bring it with me on my next Princess cruise in October.

I wonder how many Sitmar crew members still remain with Princess...?

Cindra

I worked on Sitmar in the Teen and Youth Centers in 1985 and 1986. It was a wonderful cruise line with superb service. I mostly sailed out of San Pedro doing the Mexico route but did a few Alaska, Caribbean and Panama Canal Cruises, too. I would love to hear from any passengers or staffers about your memories. Has anyone ever run into any Sitmar staff on Princess or any other line?

We ran into Captain Rudolfo Potenzoni, whom we first met on the Fairwind in 1980, when we sailed the Sky Princess, the former Fairsky. We cruised with him several more times, but he is now retired.

He was a gracious captain, and always invited us to his VIP parties in his quarters, where we met many interesting people.

We loved Sitmar!

Ginnie

My aunt and uncle introduced my sister and me to cruising on the Sitmar line in 1975. It was the beginning of a love of cruising! I miss the dining room service - tableside cooking, special orders every night and the wonderful Italian crew - they were entertainment along with the show people! We were on the Fairwind in 1978 when she caught fire in the Caribbean. The fire started in the engine room and went up through the center of the ship. We were lined up on deck, prepared to abandon ship when the captain determined that the ship was able to return to Ft. L under her own power. We lost 30 staterooms, one dining room and slept on the deck for 2 nights while they aired out the decks! No one was injured however. Quite an experience.

I have my glasses and passport book. We lived in San Francisco at the time and were welcome to visit the ships each summer when the Alaska run started. I even remember visiting in Acapulco when were vacationed there and a ship was in port. It is too bad that we lost this line - but times have changed!

hello,

My wife and I sailed on the Fairsea, on a seven day cruise to Mexico from Los Angeles shortly before Sitmar was sold to Princess. It really was a wonderful ship. The entertainment was some of the best that I have seen and this is after 15 cruises (there was a harmonica player who played the Marlboro Man theme), and a woman singer from South America who sang "Don't Cry for Me, Argentina" in a manner so thoughtful and emotion filled that you thought that she was Evita Peron.

Take care,

Fred

My aunt and uncle introduced my sister and me to cruising on the Sitmar line in 1975. It was the beginning of a love of cruising! I miss the dining room service - tableside cooking, special orders every night and the wonderful Italian crew - they were entertainment along with the show people! We were on the Fairwind in 1978 when she caught fire in the Caribbean. The fire started in the engine room and went up through the center of the ship. We were lined up on deck, prepared to abandon ship when the captain determined that the ship was able to return to Ft. L under her own power. We lost 30 staterooms, one dining room and slept on the deck for 2 nights while they aired out the decks! No one was injured however. Quite an experience.

I have my glasses and passport book. We lived in San Francisco at the time and were welcome to visit the ships each summer when the Alaska run started. I even remember visiting in Acapulco when were vacationed there and a ship was in port. It is too bad that we lost this line - but times have changed!

When in 1978 did she catch fire? I was on the Fairwind in August of that year and don't recall hearing anything about it. Perhaps it happened after I sailed. Was on the Fairwind one more itme in August of 1979.

Ron

When in 1978 did she catch fire? I was on the Fairwind in August of that year and don't recall hearing anything about it. Perhaps it happened after I sailed. Was on the Fairwind one more itme in August of 1979.

Ron

We were on a two week cruise over Thanksgiving time - the last two weeks of November as I recall. We sailed again on the FW for the New Years cruise Dec. 79 - have never missed a muster drill since!!!

We were on a two week cruise over Thanksgiving time - the last two weeks of November as I recall. We sailed again on the FW for the New Years cruise Dec. 79 - have never missed a muster drill since!!!

Then that's why I missed it. I was on it before and by the time I was on it again in August of '79 it was over and nothing was mentioned about it.

Ron

We ran into Captain Rudolfo Potenzoni, whom we first met on the Fairwind in 1980, when we sailed the Sky Princess, the former Fairsky. We cruised with him several more times, but he is now retired.

He was a gracious captain, and always invited us to his VIP parties in his quarters, where we met many interesting people.

We loved Sitmar!

Ginnie

Thanks Ginnie - It's good to know Captain Potenzoni stayed with Princess for awhile. I wonder if any of the officers went to Silversea since it is owned by the family that owned Sitmar befire it was sold to Princess. It's out of my price range...but it sure seems wonderful!:)

Our cruise 25 years ago for our honeymoon was with a line out of Fort Lauderdale called Sitmar Cruise Lines. It was an excellent 2 week cruise in May 81 throughout the Caribbean. We still have contact with a couple who dined with us on board, who retired in Florida by the names of Howard and Florence Gellman. I know they took a lot of cruises in their lifetime but we have not heard from them this year. Anyone ever have the fortune of meeting this couple or cruising this line when it existed???

I believe this is the couple that "lived" aboard the old Dawn and Royal Princess months on end. We were talking to our CD on the Dawn Princess a few weeks ago and he mentioned this couple and the fact that in all his travels on the various Princess ships he had never met them (this was as I was telling him about him being our CD on the last 5 of 6 cruises).

He added the fact the husband had died and did not know if his wife was still cruising.

I sailed with Sitmar many times in the early to mid 80's. Twice with the "girls" and once for my first honeymoon. Rick Spath was a cruise director on one of the ships. He is now with Crystal - I met him last May on the Serenity.

I had forgotten about the Circolo books. We used them MANY times to get onboard in foreign ports. Most of the crew remembered us anyway and we didn't need any identification.

I remember taking the tender into Grenada in 1985 with one of the Captains and his daughter. The seas were so rough - you should have seen the look on the Captain's face. I seem to remember they stopped tender service shortly after until things settled down.

Many good memories of the excellent food, wonderful ports, italian waiters, Asti Spumante, Captains Cocktail Parties, etc.

Now I'm a devoted Crystal Cruiser but still look back and smile.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest debbiejohncruise
I believe this is the couple that "lived" aboard the old Dawn and Royal Princess months on end. We were talking to our CD on the Dawn Princess a few weeks ago and he mentioned this couple and the fact that in all his travels on the various Princess ships he had never met them (this was as I was telling him about him being our CD on the last 5 of 6 cruises).

He added the fact the husband had died and did not know if his wife was still cruising.

I wonder if it's the same couple. I knew the wife always had health issues. Her husband was a retired civilian from the Pentagon who worked in Naval Procurements. That's sad, if he did pass away. Nice gentleman. Debbie

Guest debbiejohncruise
My first three Sitmar cruises Alan Kent was my cruise director. Anyone remember him? also had Capt Potenzoni on a few times. Capt Lagomarsini was my captain on a few sailings too. Believe that is how you spell his name.

Ron

Was he the guy who was a writer for the "Mork and Mindy Show"? I know when we took the Sitmar cruise (I think it was the Fair Sky) he was the Cruise Director we had. Funny man. Wonder where he is now? Debbie

Was he the guy who was a writer for the "Mork and Mindy Show"? I know when we took the Sitmar cruise (I think it was the Fair Sky) he was the Cruise Director we had. Funny man. Wonder where he is now? Debbie

Yes that's him. He was a former television writer. he was on three of my five Sitmar cruises. Don't remember who the other to cruise directors were.

Ron

Archived