Star princess Accessible Cabin Question - Will there be a ramp out to the balcony?

MissAppleBear

Is A 302 an accessible cabin? I have not been in an accessible cabin that did not have a ramp. Sometimes the ramp has been stationary and sometimes it deployed when the door was opened. I prefer the second one as it was easier to move around the room when the ramp was not open all the time.

We were in Caribe 302 on the Star Princess June 2nd SB AK cruise. We did not have a ramp to the balcony. There was something on the balcony that looked like it would be a ramp, but it was not set up, and we did not ask for it to be as Mom was mobile enough to step out onto the balcony.

We also need to book HA cabins. I have noticed when choosing a cabin to book that some of them have a notice that there is not wheelchair access to the balcony. My logic would say that if there is not this notice, there is either a ramp present or one that can be installed. No personal experience on this ship or obviously this cabin.

We also need to book HA cabins. I have noticed when choosing a cabin to book that some of them have a notice that there is not wheelchair access to the balcony. My logic would say that if there is not this notice' date=' there is either a ramp present or one that can be installed. No personal experience on this ship or obviously this cabin.[/quote']

OP, have you contacted Princess? I’m sure they can advise on the specifics.

Our experience is that the older ships do not have automatic ramps, but instead a portable ramp which is often in place outside the balcony door, but sometimes pushed aside but still on the balcony. In those situations where the ramp was not in place, I have sometimes been able to push the ramp in place myself and the other times gone through the room steward. But it has always been put in place upon our request.

There are some designated HA cabins on certain ships such as the Island Princess where the balcony door does not open wide enough to accommodate a wheelchair. These were put in place as a renovation, not original build, but the renovation was not done correctly, at least in regard to full ADA specifications. I don't think that any of these renovations took place on the Star Princess.

We were on the Star, in C304 last year. When the balcony door was opened all the way, a metal piece flipped down to form a continuous ramp up/ramp down condition that allowed me to walk out to the balcony with my cane very easily. We didn't realize at first that you have to be sure the door is ALL the way open to allow the metal piece to flip over and cover the gap. Enjoy!