Airport/connections in San Juan

Jim Avery

Has anyone sailed SD recently from San Juan? It has been years since I flew into SJU but I dont recall any problems. Have just about had our fill of St. Thomas flying out on the weekend. Are looking at a SD cruise out of San Juan and would appreciate any recent opinions. The SD Sunday to Sunday in the Caribbean does not help much as far as ease of return to work but thats the way it is. Thanks for the info.

Jim.

We flew in and out of San Juan for SeaDream cruises a couple of times several years ago and it was better than St. Thomas. We prefer San Juan for that reason as well as the fact that we can fly nonstop to and from San Juan while STT requires a change of planes either in Miami or in San Juan.

Also, we share your dislike of the Sunday/Sunday itineraries and have repeatedly expressed our feelings to SeaDream management. I would encourage you (and others reading this thread) to let SeaDream know if you prefer the Saturday/Saturday itineraries. You never know, they might change them!

I will let you know next month, Jim. We are taking the January 2nd SeaDream I cruise out of San Juan. It has been many years since we have sailed out of San Juan, but we have flown into San Juan within the last few years for non-cruise vacations, and I do not recall any difficulties with the airport.

I did a sailing on Seadeam last month that ended in San Juan. We docked near the Old Town. From there is was a 10 min easy cab ride to the airport for $16(I think) plus $1 for each piece of luggage. The price is preset and recently increased. Seadream was not updated when I did the transfer, but is by now I'm sure. Overall is was very smooth and inexpensive.

Hi Philip:

The only time we have available next year is in Nov/Dec. Looking at SD II in that time frame. Too long between cruises but Lois won a stay at an all inclusive resort in the Puerto Aventuras area of Mexico. We enjoyed that part of the world on SD II in Dec of 04 so are looking forward to it. Will keep in touch. Merry Christmas to your family.

Jim & Lois.

Having just returned from St. Thomas, I can honestly say I do not care to ever go back there again. Too busy, the natives are rude and just to much craziness. ALL the other islands on our voyage were wonderful.

We will try San Juan next time or certainly avoid embarkation in St. Thomas.

We have embarked and disembarked at STT on our SD cruises ... I agree that the airport is not fun but then again I have a huge aversion to SJU ... just like Jimmy Buffet says "Don't want to go to no San Juan airport..."

Champagne Lady was the craziness because of the taxis and airports?

We found the people at the airport to be very rude and unhelpful, especially the airline. I am going to also send a letter to USAir as to their selection of a partner such as Caribbean Air. Not to say USAir flys high in our book anyway, but then again, what airlines get high marks anymore anyway?

• 2 weeks later...

Jim -

Just returned from San Juan to San Juan New Years cruise

Embarking and disembarking could not have been easier, SD used pier 1 both times with large air conditioned facility.

Getting on board was simple, one person in line ahead of us...getting off we were the first group at 8:30 am and strolled right through. Immigration took place at 7 am in the main salon on sd 1 and we went right outside.

I made the mistake of taking a car service from our hotel to the pier the cost was absurd versus a taxi ($90 versus $25 tip inclusive).

Disembarking the porter that took us through customs got us a clean comfortable (Lincoln Town Car) taxi right away.

Air facilities at San Juan are equivalent to a major us city, in bound our car service met after security and we received checked bags in less than 20 minutes, the airport was 10 minutes to our hotel - Marriott, would not recommend* . The American terminal was clean and had good signage.

Outbound there were plenty of porters, even on busy day like we had yesterday. Agricultural scanning took less than 3 minutes curbside even though there were a gang of people in line. Checking in had over 50 kiosks and the non kiosk first class line had 4 agents working, I have not even seen that many at DFW in years! The admirals club was first rate, even though it seemed weird to see a smoking room. facilities outside the gate sincluded a very nice duty free store as well as a large magazine/ book/tshirt shop and a sit down sports pub.

All flights were on time both ways, maybe luck but everything seemed to be working well. Even though the weather was great yesterday in all major cities; it was a pretty good gauge of the talent at the airport for if they can handle the day after new year with every flight full to get flights out on time they deserve some credit.

Let me know if I missed something or an aspect you were thinking about that I may have missed.

*(if just an overnight stay before cruise the sheraton old san juan is right next door to the pier, you could walk to the ship, if you are looking for beach/luxury it is pretty much just the ritz if you want to stay close by, the embassy suites looked new and clean but not on the beach and the hilton caribe is similar to the marriot, old and functioonal but missing something, a new renaissance is under construction but it looks like at least a year away)

Archived