Intrav-Amadeus Princess

nowornever

• 1 month later...

Nowornever, you may want to repost this thread on the Clipper Cruise Line message board as they are the same company based out of St. Louis Missouri. I have sailed twice with Clipper, a short 4 day cruise around the San Juan Island area and an 11 day cruise along the Inside Passage. I believe that you can tell most about a cruise ship company when something goes wrong.... When our ship was delayed for a day getting into port in Seattle and I was very impressed with the way Intrav responded. Please get back to me if you are still considering taking a cruise this summer with this company.

nowornever,

The MS Amadeus Princess is owned and operated by

http://www.lueftner-cruises.at/

which is an Austrian company. The boat is operated under Romanian flag. It´s a brand new boat with it´s first season in 2006. It´s not yet mentioned on the company´s website but I have a 2006 brochure of Lueftner.

I just can cite from this brochure. The boat has 4 decks, Haydn Deck, Strauss Deck, Mozart Deck and Sun deck. On the Sun Deck you will find deck chairs, a fun pool, lido bar, golf putting green, whirl pool, bow camera, walking track. The Mozart Deck features a panorama bar including an outside deck space, the Amadeus club, hospitality desk, E-Mail station (and cabins starting with "3"). The Strauss Deck is featuring the restaurant, reception, gift shop (and cabins strating with "2"). The Haydn deck is featuring a fitness center, doctor, massage and beauty shop/hairdresser (and cabins starting with "1"). The MS Amadeus Princess has 79 cabins and 2 suites, crew is 40. Cabins are 15 sqm / 160 sqft, suites are 22 sqm / 236 sqft. Cabins are featuring TV, telephone, writing desk, safe, suites additionally do feature a hot tub instead of a shower, a minibar, an additional sofa (convertible to a bed) (of course all cabins have closets, bed and a bathroom :D ).

You might get more informations on the river cruises board (special interest cruising): http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=191

By the way, the Lueftner brochure is mentioning the MS Amadeus Symphony but only in the brochure not in the schedule. The MS Amadeus Symphony is also offered by http://www.amadeuswaterways.com.

steamboats

• 3 months later...

We did 20 days with Intrav aboard the MV Rembrandt in the Netherlands and Belgium....The Intrav people were great in every sense...Knowledge, service and attitude. I would never hesitate to use Intreav again and I say that with 40[Yes 40] cruises under my belt! Have a great time!...

to hear of your great experience. We're getting very excited about it. We've heard excellent things about Intrav. If any of you are going to be on it in the future & have specific questions you'd like a report on, just let me know before we leave 7/14 & I'll check it out for you. It appears to be a lovely new ship (boat?)

• 2 weeks later...
Intrav is a reseller.

You can book directly with Amadeus Waterways.

Pardon sir/madam but it is not possible to book an INTRAV TOUR directly with the boat operator...INTRAV charters the ENTIRE vessel and determines menus,wines ect. as well as providing the tour manager, busses and as many guides as is necessary...INTRAV is very much an up-scale operator....I speak from a great deal of personal experience with Tour companies and cruise lines.

regarding Intrav. It will be our first & we'll be there very soon. Good to see you're from San Juans, our own little slice of NW paradise - we're just down the road (?) in Redmond. You've been with Intrav? Our first & we're hoping for the best since our TA thinks highly of it.

• 1 month later...
regarding Intrav. It will be our first & we'll be there very soon. Good to see you're from San Juans, our own little slice of NW paradise - we're just down the road (?) in Redmond. You've been with Intrav? Our first & we're hoping for the best since our TA thinks highly of it.
..I hope you enjoyed your cruise. What can you tell me about the ship?...Who was your INTRAV tour director?..My email usc@interisland.net

Ship is extremely nice & the crew delightful, mostly Romanian & very very accomodating. We had "the plague" run rampant through the ship. It was like a death watch each morning to see who "got it" during the night. Very nice Dr. on board who gave you a shot of lord only knows what & some pills. My husband got it, I didn't. Who knows what it was, someone probably brought it on with them. I thought the itinerary was a little boring, very inactive. Joannie was the Intrav TD & she's an absolute delightful person. Food started out great & ended up a little suspect. Same fish, different names.......... If you're thinking of doing this, make sure you ask Intrav specific questions about YOUR dates, because ours did not contain many of the things listed on the lovely brochure. Excursion out to the Black Sea a total waste of time because it arrives at 0530, turns around & leaves & only 25 or so people actually saw it. Crazy! It was a very disapppointing trip & did I mention hotter than &*&$, (no one's fault!) If you like to sit on deck or in your cabin & read, it's fine but very short on ports & activities. Think twice.

Cheers.

I appreciate very much that you took the time to report back on your river cruise. Current reports are especially important on lines and ships that are not "the norm", and I am very sorry your trip turned out as it did. You were looking forward to it, and not only did it not live up to your expectations, but your husband became ill.

Doesn't this line, which is Austrian-owned (Lueftner Cruises), to the best of my recollection, tout its "Austrian hospitality" as one of its selling points? I would have expected a crew that was primarily Austrian onboard, including many Austrian food specialties. Maybe they were only referring to the name of the riverboat?

Based on your disappointing river cruise on the Amadeus Princess with Intrav, would you say that you have been soured on river cruising in general, or just Intrav as a company, Lueftner Cruises as a company, Amadeus Waterways as a company, or some combination of all these?

Have you notified Intrav of your experience? How have they responded?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Gilleanrose, you must be a travel professional as you are very knowledgeable on this cruise. I did an extensive comment card as well as a very detailed "after action" to our TA who was to take it up with Intrav at a travel convention earlier this month. I have not heard back from them. Yes, I would say that we are soured on river boat travel. & we'll probably save that for when we are quite a bit older as it is a little too inactive. Their was nothing wrong with the ship in general & the Romanian staff was very warm. I'm hoping anyone who is thinking of a similar trip gets a clear understanding from the company and their TA of the itinerary & what to expect. Thanks for your comments, you seem to be familiar with the company, have you done this particular trip? Happy travels.

Archived