Cruise ship comparison

kolie

Hi, my husband and I are giving serious thought to taking our first cruise. We'd like a 4-5 day one which Sovereign of the Seas has. My question is this-our friends tell us that this ship is wayyyyyyyyy too old to go on for our first cruise. How are rooms? food? entertainment? public areas? First Timer

For a first cruise, those shorter ones aren't really the best idea. They tend to attract people who have a huge party and drinking attitude who want to stuff 7 days of partying into a 4 day cruise. The ship you're considering is very old and doesn't have near the great amenities that other ships do. They tend to use the older ships are training sites for the workers so the service might not be as good as they are on other ships. I think there are much better choices out there for ships.

Tracie

We have been on one of Sovereign's sister ships, Majesty of the Seas, twice. We have also done 7 day cruises on newer ships. While the newer ships are better, sometimes budget, schedule or personal choice only allow a shorter cruise. These trips usually are on older ships. Tracie is right that these cruises tend to have more of a party atmosphere with larger groups. However, we have enjoyed these cruises. Majesty was older (late 1980's) but certainly still beautiful. The rooms on these ships are smaller than modern ones. I wouldn't want to be in them for 7 days. They are fine for a short trip. We have felt the food was good, always looked forward to dinner. The public areas are nicely maintained and attractive. The pool area is large, though crowded. Sovereign was one of the first ships to feature a large atrium area. When she was launched she was a marvel and created quite a buzz. I believe it was '87. If you only want to try a shorter cruise and you like this itinerary, go for it. Remember, however, that things on newer ships are bigger and better if you want to step up to a seven day.

Have you looked into the shorter cruises out of New York. Both the Victory and Voyager have 5 days to Canada.

Going NOWHERE

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;10;22;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Miracle, February 13, 2005

Legend, October 22,2004

Voyager August 31,2003

Victory September 22,2002

Regal Empress,June 2001

Sensation,August 2000

What length do you people suggest for a first cruise? People always ask me about cruising and I'm hesitant to have them stuck on a ship for seven days when they realize, three days out, that this isn't the type of vacation they care for. But when I saw Tracie's thoughts about the party attitude, it never dawned on me that telling them to take a four-day might be condemning them to Cruise Hell.

Thoughts?

Put "Cruise Critic" in e-mail subject line: tomcarten@hotmail.com

I think a five day cruise is a pretty good choice for a first cruise, especially if it's not over the weekend. I think there would be fewer people looking to just drink & party if they had to use a lot of vacation days off work.

My first cruise was a 5-day on the Imagination and it was the perfect length. My husband was hesitant to cruise since he thought he'd be bored... so booking a 5-day allowed us to test it out. He wasn't bored, of course, and we're now booked on a 7-day.

Even now, I'd consider doing a 5-day cruise if I was short on time, but I probably would not want to do a 4-day (well, I'd want to do almost any cruise, but I'd have the same concerns about partiers).

We took our 1st cruise on the Majesty. I liked the idea that it was only 3-4 days b/c I was afraid I was going to get sea sick & hate it. Of course I loved it & now can't wait to plan / take my 3rd cruise.

To figure out what works best for you -- keep reading these boards. Surf around for more reviews & read them. Some web sites let you do a side by side price & itinary comparison. Recognize that these are people's personal opinions. You may have a vastly different way of looking at the world.

Trish

Hi Tom. I suggest one out New York on a newer ship. Yes, there may be a bit of a party type thing on shorter trips but they can get a taste of it. Personally, I would recommend a 7 day trip. Less children maybe to on 7 days in summer. Also age may be a factor ie Holland America over Carnival if the couple are older.

Hopfully a Hawiian Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2006;12;5;11;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 Until we sail away on the ocean blue

Navigator of the Seas Western Crib 08/03

Dawn Princess - Eastern Carb

Dawn Princess Panamal Canal

How about a port-intensive Caribbean seven-day for a first cruise? (Look for one with at least four ports, rather than three.) That way, if the cruising isn't working out, the port calls are likely to be interesting and fun, and if absolutely nothing else is appealing, you'll have several days of beach time to enjoy.

If you know you aren't prone to seasickness and you know you wouldn't mind the fact that you won't be able to fully explore any of the places you visit and (biggie!!) if you are careful in researching your cruiseline, ship, ports, etc., the likelihood that you won't enjoy a cruise is pretty low.

"I'm gonna book myself on that Princess Cruise."

-- Fox Mulder, X-Files 'Three Words'

My first cruise as an adult was a 7 day out of NY to Bermuda-left NY-one day at sea-(you get to know the ship) in Bermuda 3 and 1/2 days-two different ports, one day at sea, back to New York. The best of both worlds since the ships in Bermuda act as floating hotels. A perfect introduction!

EMH

I find the comments about the size of the Sovereign of the Seas ironic. My first cruise was with RCCL's Song of America in 1990. At that time they had recently introduced Sovereign, which was the largest cruise ship; it actually had an indoor atrium. At about 74,000 tons it is mid-size by today's standards (the new Queen Mary is 150,000 tons) but the largest ship of her day.

I too remember sailing on the song of america and being amazed at the size of the sovereign of the seas. That was many years ago and ship sizes have really grown.

The sovereign of the seas has aged nicely. We have been on this ship 3 times (close to home). The 4 night cruise is more family friendly while the 3 night weekend cruise is alot more rowdy and alcohol laden. this is not a luxury cruise but a nice first cruise or quick getaway.

Archived