Travel Insurance - CSA or Travel Guard?

elainekay

Has anyone used CSA Insurance? We've used Travel Guard but thankfully never needed it. CSA is more reasonable for better coverage but I don't know much about the company. I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who knows anything about CSA. Thanks

Elaine

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by elainekay:

Has anyone used CSA Insurance? We've used Travel Guard but thankfully never needed it. CSA is more reasonable for better coverage but I don't know much about the company. I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who knows anything about CSA. Thanks

Elaine<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd rate them about equal as far as customer service -- very very good. If both plans meet all of your needs then I'd feel comfortable buying either one.

I still don't get this insurance thing. Do you all insure your week long land trip to Disneyworld or your week's stay at an all-inclusinve where you lose a significan deposit and airfare? If not, why do you feel compelled to insure a $2500 cruise?

P.S. - yes, the cost is pretty cheap; ever wonder why?

Peter

fodorspeter,

The cost of the trip is only one portion of it. A major portion is medical. If you have to have emergency medical treatment and be evacuated that can be very expensive. Also, if there is an emergency in the family I can pay $100 change fee and fly home from DisneyWorld. If I'm on an island somewhere that cost can go up significantly.

BTW, a friend of mine used his recently. His grandmother died unexpectedly while he was on a cruise. They paid his transportation home, cruise fare and immigration fees. You actually have to pay a fine if you leave the ship at any port aside from the disembarkation port.

Hope this clears it up somewhat.

Marc

1/1990 - RCCL Song of America

4/13/2003 - Carnival Inspiration

10/30/2004 - Maasdam

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0924ff&cdt=2004;10;30;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0400

Till sailing on the Maasdam

We never cruise without it. We've had to use it once when our ship was delayed getting back to Tampa and we missed our flight home. Insurance paid for change fee for airline tix ($100 pp), hotel ($200/night) and all meals and transportation. It was well worth it.

My friend just had to cancel her cruise one week before departure, as her 19-year-old daughter (who was also going on the cruise) was in an automobile accident and suffered a severe broken leg that required 3 1/2 hours of surgery to repair. There are 5 in their family plus two friends that were going. This cruise was costing over 10K. They would have had to eat almost all the expense. Good thing (for $47 pp) she had insurance!

caribbeanqueen3@comcast.net

We never leave home without it.... A couple cruises ago, Jan ended up in the ships emergency room and the bill was $1000+. Neither Medicare nor supplement covered as outside US. Service in the ER was outstanding and all covered by AAA insurance.

Miracle countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00FF00&prgb=0000CC&cdt=2004;4;17;07;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Back to elainekay's question. I use CSA although on occasion I have used other travel insurance. My experience with CSA has been excellent and that is the reason (combined with price) why I use it. We had to make a claim on one of our trips and CSA was problem free with prompt payment of claims.

fodorspeter - yes I do buy insurance for a resort out of the country. The key is not the costs of the trip (which is not to be ignored) but the cost of medical coverage. Many, many medical insurance policies do not cover out-of-country services. Of course, you would be covered by your medical insurance for your trip to Disneyland as long as it was one of the parks in the states which is why travel insurance is not nearly as important for domestic trips.

Sailing from Galveston aboard the Grand in

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800000&cdt=2004;11;20;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Cruise/Tour around Cape Horn in

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=8b0000&cdt=2005;1;20;9;00;00&timezone=GMT-0300

Blackrobe: Thanks for your reply re: CSA

I noticed you are sailing aboard the Grand Princess from Galveston. We are sailing the Rhapsody this June and I just booked the Grand for next January (this is the cruise I'm looking for insurance). When will you be sailing the Grand?

Elainekay

We are on the November 20th sailing over Thanksgiving. January, 2005, we are on the Royal sailing around the tip of South America.

Sailing from Galveston aboard the Grand in

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800000&cdt=2004;11;20;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Cruise/Tour around Cape Horn in

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=8b0000&cdt=2005;1;20;9;00;00&timezone=GMT-0300

Archived