Travel Insurance - Has anyone had to use it before? What was your experience?

Fila

Thinking about buying travel insurance. Has anyone filed a claim before. If so what was your experience? Did you have the chance to call the insurance company ahead of time like they request to get approval for such things as:

Medical Air Evacuation
Trip delay / Missed port
Illness
Lost or Stolen Luggage

Just curious to know how many people had a positive experience.

Which company did you use?

Ecstasy 3/03 Los Angeles
Inspiration 8/04 Tampa

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008080&cdt=2004;8;29;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img] [img]http://home.mminternet.com/~drmccall/scuba.gif[/img]

We used it for an ear infection for our daughter once. Was a little hassle as you had to give them the letter from reg. Health insurance declining to pay but wasn't bad. We ended up happy as the amount reimbursed was about what we paid for the insurance.

We are currently using it on all our trips even short ones as we are going to lose my MIL soon.

Fascination 1997 Destiny 2000
Victory 2000 Sensation 2001
Norway 2002 Legend 2002
NCL Dawn 2003 Inspiration 2003
Victory 2004 Holiday 2004

Approximately 72 hours prior to our cruise, my partner was taken seriously ill (a life-threatening condition which she thankfully survived). After submitting the required documentation (medical certificate) we were reimbursed in full for the cost of the cruise. I never cruise without insurance. Incidentally, depending upon the policy, it can cover virtually any contingency, medical or otherwise (flight cancellation, lost luggage, etc.). Check out this site, and you'll find all the information you need, in addition to a wide selection of coverage packages. Enjoy your cruise - and don't leave without insurance!!

[url="http://www.insuremytrip.com"]http://www.insuremytrip.com[/url]

We once rented a vacation cottage. On the Friday night before we were to leave on Saturday, my mother was involved in a serious auto accident and was hospitalized for 6 weeks. We inadvertently had trip insurance thru CSA. It seems the rental agency automatically added it to all rentals & renters were to decline & deduct the amount if you didn't want it. I never even noticed it until my husband called the rental office to advise we wouldn't be checking in. She forwarded a claim info form to CSA & they sent me all materials needed for a full refund of our rental. Even though my mother was not a traveler, it applies to serious illness or injury to immediate family members. Needless to say, I always make sure to purchase trip insurance now.

I had a 35th Anniversary cruise to Alaska aboard Celebrity. Knowing my husband was ill, I took out the insurance which I normally do not do. Sure enough my husband had brain surgery and became bed-ridden. I did not want to cancel the cruise so kept waiting hoping he would recover. But he never did so I had to cancel a week before we were due to sail. My wonderful TA helped us recover the cost of the cruise with the insurance company. DH has since passed away.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fila:
Thinking about buying travel insurance. Has anyone filed a claim before. If so what was your experience? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My first cruise ... my rotten luck ... I had a claim.

Flew down to Fort Lauderdale from Philadelphia on an 8:30 a.m. flight. Ship was leaving at 5:00 p.m. Never dreamed I wouldn't have enough time.

Airplane lost an engine in flight and had to divert to Baltimore. Long story short, I missed the boat because there were no other flights available and we had to wait for our airplane to be fixed. Five of us were on the flight and we all missed the boat.

I had to fly to San Jose, Costa Rica to wait two days for the ship. That was its first port of call.

Between airfare, hotels, and expenses, that little junket cost me over $1,100. The travel insurance only reimbursed a max of $500. I am now filing a claim with U.S. Air hoping to get the rest ... or at least some vouchers for free tickets.

Lesson learned? Let the cruiseline book the air for you. It might cost about $100 more, but in effect, that can be your travel insurance ... at least for trip delay. If you have air booked through the cruiseline, they are responsible for getting you to your next port of call. In other words, that means they will probably hold the ship for you.

The problem we had was that none of the five of us had booked air through the cruiseline. Hence, we were "on our own."

The thing that annoyed me was that we landed in Fort Lauderdale at around 5:00 p.m. The ship was scheduled to sail at 5:00 p.m. Holland America was aware that there were five of us on that flight, because they had a rep waiting for us at the airport. We had all assumed they would wisk us over to the port, and get us onboard before sailing. In actuality, he was only there to tell us we had missed the boat and to coordinate with our travel agents to get us "squared away" for getting to the first port.

Kinda pissed me off ... but, hey ... I had a blast in Costa Rica, so all is well that ends well.

Blue skies ...

--rita

We always get insurance through our TA (AAA) and a couple cruises ago, Jan ended up in sickbay emergency. Over $1000 in damage and all turned out well, both for her and the insurance payback...Don't leave home without it.

Miracle [img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00FF00&prgb=0000CC&cdt=2004;4;17;07;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

We had to cancel our cruise for May 15 3 weeks before because my wife got 2nd and 3rd degree burns to her foot. We received our full refund already. Go for it.

Fig
Caribbean Princess 9/18

I had to visit the ship's infirmary twice on a recent cruise. I had to have blood and urine tests, a shot and antibiotics. The bill was almost $600; luckily our travel insurance reimbursed us in full with no hassle.

Bill S
-------

What Insurance companies did you have? There are so many different prices and plans and exclusions.

Ecstasy 3/03 Los Angeles
Inspiration 8/04 Tampa

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008080&cdt=2004;8;29;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img] [img]http://home.mminternet.com/~drmccall/scuba.gif[/img]

Here's an interesting quote from the TravelASSIST Magazine: "...less than 3% of the travelers that purchase cruise insurance, ever use it."

Another statistic that I recall is that there are roughly 80,000 cruisers per week around the world. Lets assume that 50% purchase insurance which would put the annual insured total at approximately 2 million. This, then, means that only 60,000 claims are being made per year verses 1,940,000 people who paid for nothing but the highly overated peace of mind.

Peter

It is only a bad deal if you don't needed it. Just like life, auto,etc.....
Your choice.

Miracle [img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00FF00&prgb=0000CC&cdt=2004;4;17;07;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

Which brings me back to my "old faithfull" - you insure your life, health, car and home because if something happened, you couldn't afford to cover the expense (or the loss of income potential in the case of life insurance). But come on, the cost of a cruise? That's not catastrophic.

Now, in fairness, we are fortunately covered for health treatment in foreign companies included the dreaded air lift; others aren't quite as fortunate. Check it out - most big companies are self-insured and will cover those things.

Peter

WE've always paid for cruisei nsurance and have used it twice: my husband is an attorney and had an emergency hearing come up in the US Supreme Court just shy of two weeks before we were due to sail. It was absolutely unavoidable and the insurance company paid out the entire cost of our cancellation (in other words, the full cruise payment).
On another cruise throughout Asia my husband had a massive sinus infection and had to go to the infirmary several times, as well as get a prescription for antibiotics. Cruise insurance paid the entire bill (wasn't much, something like $175) but it covered the cost of the insurance. Kim

We always get the insurance for peace of mind only. Not because it makes sense percentage wise. I'm very glad we did. Who knew? Just go with what makes you feel comfortable. Either way.

Fig
Caribbean Princess 9/18

• 2 weeks later...
Most health insurance [I]does not[/I] cover incidents occurring on cruise ships or shore excursions, especially given the proliferation of HMO's, which seem to make it up as they go along. Given what ship's doctors charge (not to mention the cost of an emergency airlift) $100 or so is a small price to pay (about $7 per person per day on a seven-nighter). If my insurance covered foreign travel, I might reconsider; but it doesn't, so I won't cruise without insurance.

Al [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

My mother and I always took rather nice cruises to Alaska, with trip insurance. She was a peppy, athletic 86, every expectation of living to be 100+. One day, three weeks before our next cruise, she suddenly was no longer with us.

The insurance company could not have been nicer or more helpful. HAL paid a percentage, insurance covered the rest.

You have heard various opinions here and, as fig414 said, "Just go with what makes you feel comfortable." I'm comfortable with insurance and get it every time. I don't care what the odds are re: using the insurance. I have a health condition that 98% of the population does not have -- so tell me about odds.

Put "Cruise Critic" in e-mail subject line: [email]tomcarten@hotmail.com[/email]

I've collected on it once when our ship was delayed getting back into port, so we missed our flight. I called the 800 number from the ship, and they told me if I'd like they would make all the arrangements for me, or if I'd prefer to make them myself, to just go ahead and save my receipts. We incurred expenses involving a $100 airline fee to change our tix to the next day, hotel for the night, and meals and taxi. We received a check within 3 weeks after I submitted the claim.

My friend was booked to go on a cruise last month. About a week and a half before they were due to leave (herself, her husband, their 3 kids, and 2 of their kids friends), her daughter was in an automobile accident. She required lengthy surgery to repair her broken leg, so they had to cancel the cruise. They got every penny refunded that they lost (precruise hotel just cancelled the reservation, so no money lost there). Since they were greater than 8 days out from the cruise, Carnival's penalty was 50% of the cruise fare. That was all refunded to them, plus their airfare.

Both times this was with Travel Guard.

[email="caribbeanqueen3@comcast.net"]caribbeanqueen3@comcast.net[/email]

My dad used it when my grandma (his mom) passed away the day before his cruise. I have a friend who's brother crashed his jet ski in St. Thomas on the cruise. His cruise insurance paid medical and airlift home. It's helpful and not very costly. I know some believe that the cost of a cruise isn't that much - but for us - a family of 5 is very costly - and it will be the only one we can afford to take for years and years. We have too many other financial obligations. So, for us, it paid to take out insurance to protect our cruise savings.

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;06;27;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
Paradise 6/27

Archived