2 way radios on ships

ncpalehorse

Going on my first cruise this August and was told that a pair of 2 way radios could come in handy for me and my wife. Makes sense. I've done some shopping for a pair and was wondering how well they really work on a cruise ship. Do the FRS radios work as good as the GMRS radios (require FCC license) in this environment. Also if anyone has a particular brand/model they would recommend.

Sorry if this has been asked recently in another thread, but the search feature isn't working.

Thanks for you input.

You dont need nothing fancy. A 2 mile radius with sub channels. (that way when one station is busy-which it will be)you can always change channels. I suggest getting one with batteries that are recharable as they do eat through batteries.

and turn them off when in the shows, lounges or dining places. and please watch the shouting into them Remeber people around you are on vacation too.

Going NOWHERE
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;10;22;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

Miracle, February 13, 2005
Legend, October 22,2004
Voyager August 31,2003
Victory September 22,2002
Regal Empress,June 2001
Sensation,August 2000

I haven't been on a cruise in the modern era (last time was 1971 when I was a kid). We are having a family cruise on the Carnival Miracle on 8/21 and I have been reading about using 2-way radios. I am a licensed ham radio operator but most of our party are not licensed so simple radios are in order.

Most of the license free radios are FRS (family radio service) which is a low power, 14 channel UHF service. Radios are cheap, some as low as $10 each, and the range is about a mile or so. The problem will be the number of groups using them. On a cruise with 2000+ people, a fair percentage will be relying on these radios. I would recommend getting a model that has CTCSS, "Interference Eliminator Codes" or whatever each manufacturer chooses to call this feature. Essentially this feature uses a filter to block transmissions from other radios not set to the same code (a sub audible tone). Most models with this feature have 38 codes to choose from. Advanced models have as many as 99 codes.

This feature does not eliminate all the traffic sharing 14 channels. Occasionally you will not be able to get through when others are transmitting on the same channel. What is does do is prevent strangers triggering your speaker every time they transmit. That might be every 10 minutes! By choosing both a channel and code, the odds of being interrupted by others will be greatly reduced. When your friend/family calls using the correct, previously set code, their voice will come through.

Another type of radio is the GMRS. GMRS is a higher powered UHF service that shares some FRS channels and has a few frequencies of its own. Range is greater (up to 5 miles) and you have 22 channels to choose from. The downside is that an FCC license is required (no test, just $75 to Uncle Sam) if you use the GMRS channels and/or higher power. Also, these radios are a bit more expensive ($30 and up) and will eat batteries faster if you always use the high power settings. They also should be chosen to use Interference Eliminator Codes. Be aware that GMRS operation in non-USA territorial waters is illegal, even with an FCC license. I read about a couple that had their radios confiscated in Hamilton, Bermuda because they didn't have a local license. Most GMRS radios also have FRS capability as well.

Happy sailing!
Jim

Good brands are Motorola, Cobra and Audiovox. Here is one model that is only $20/pair:

[url="http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.jsp?c=1&b=g&u=c&catoid=-9085&qp=0&oid=77312&m=0"]Circuitcity FRS Radio[/url]

I agree with Serene that getting rechargeable batteries is a good idea. Most models use four AAA batteries and with use, you may need new batteries every two days or so.

Here is a model with rechargeable batteries and a charger base for $50:

[url="http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.jsp?c=1&b=g&u=c&catoid=-9085&qp=0&oid=91791&m=0"]Rechargeable Cobra[/url]

Jim

Carnival Miracle 8/21
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;8;21;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

Appreciate the additional info and links Jim. I had come across those Cobra models just recently and had been strongly considering them. Just found the Mot T5950 at BJ's for $59 along with $15 rebate on top of that so for a net of $44 on the Mot, I couldn't pass it up.

Thanks again for taking the time to provide all of that great info.

Hey Bill,

N2RBJ on my end. My brother is AA2NY and my dad is N2UFR. We like to operate when travelling together. However on this cruise, we will probably leave the rigs in the shack. The Bahamas want $25 each for reciprocal permits. Miracle is registered in Panama so requires an IARP (another $10 each) as well as the permission of the captain. That leaves working a repeater or two in Port Canaveral (HF doesn't seem practical in port). Instead we will just use GMRS. I got a system license good for the whole family.

Jim

Carnival Miracle 8/21/2004
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;8;21;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
NYC-Port Canaveral-Nassau-Freeport-NYC

My wife and I sailed on the Miracle in May...we had a pair of inexpensive two way radios and we found them to be almost usless. Most of the time you could not hear because of the noise around you...and we found that if one of us was inside the ship and another on one of the top decks we could not talk to each other.

And you would be surprized at how many people have them....we went from channel 1 through 14 trying to find a channel. And could not find one that had constant chatter...

Archived