Galveston o Galveston

angelrmt

Can someone tell me if there is alot of waling involved once I get to Galveston port to do my paperwork and board the ship? I am going with my elderly mother and I am also legally blind and also cannot do a lot of standing. I can walk but not a long ways and I hate to use a wheelchair that is why I am asking. Thanks for your help.

May I suggest you complete as much of you paperwork online as your cruise line provides? Then when you arrive at the Galveston pier area, the space inside the pier area does not require a lot of walking. It's laid out very well. However, once you get to a customer service representative, ask him/her if they can provide some assistqnce getting onboard your ship.

It isn't a long walk, but it's round and round, many walking steps to get from the terminal to the gangplank. I don't even think you could use a wheelchair as it's too narrow. I'm sure there must be an eleavator for those who need assistance and can't do all that climbing. It's like walking a long circular staircase, without the stairs.

Thank you so much for the info. I feel a little relief. She can walk but she needs to rest in between the walking. Are saying that it is steep. Is there something to hang on to when walking like a rail? I also walk with a cane and get fatigues very easily as I am also a diabetic. What a pair we make huh? LOL

I would recommend that you ask for 2 wheelchairs to use during embarkation and getting off the ship. The cruise line will provide people to push the wheelchairs onto or off the ship. Also, the other nice thing about getting assistance when you board is that you won't have to wait in as many lines and the crew member knows exactly where to go.

The walkway is a lot like the ramp going onto an airplane, only longer. Not steep. There also is an escalator. If you don't feel comfortable with the escalator, there is an elevator. The space inside the terminal is open and large, easy to get around. I do agree with the above post - take a wheel chair - you'll get there easier and faster.

Archived