Galveston

armywifefisher

We are looking at booking a room at Galveston and leaving our car in the hotel parking lot or getting a hotel before getting to Galveston for cheaper and leaving the car in the port parking lot. Which is better? Which hotel did you stay in if you left your car in the hotel parking lot and did it have a covered lot. We can get a hotel before for about $69.00 and at port the cheapest is $130 for Days Inn or something like that or $215 for the larger hotels. We are sailing in July

Thanks

I like the Harbor House. You can walk to the ship from there. They let you leave your car for the week and have a fairly decent continental breakfast. What I usually do is book something else first, (Moody Gardens) since when I try and book a room early they have a 2 night minimum. Then the last week while I can still cancel the other room I start calling every day to see if they have a room for one night. So far it has worked out. This last time we even got the third floor, west facing room and could even hear when the Conquest had last call so we could head over for our cruise.

I called and made reservations for Saturday night in late March (three rooms). Best deal was at the Commodore. The web site said 119 per room, I got 'em for 69 a night. They shuttle you to the cruise and you leave your car there.

Also, the Galvez might be the best, but it is also expensive. I've heard people get in there for 129 a night, but best deal I could get was 179 for ocean view. The parking lot there is security, however. That might be worth your "peace of mind" if you have a nice ride.

The Holiday Inn on the Beach you can negotiate with. Tell 'em what else you got and they'll listen.

The Harbor House is fairly spendy, rooms are small, but you can walk to the dock. However, you also have to drag your suitcases.

The hotel rates for Galveston on weekends in the summer are high. Believe me, most of the rooms are not worth the price and the beaches are horrible, but they've got you over a barrel especially if you are cruising.

Galveston was a terminally ill run down city that got a HUGE break when the cruise ships came to town.

They should thank their lucky stars, instead of ripping people off.

Ok, that's my 2 cents.

armywifefisher.... if you'd like email me and i'll suggest other options. just let me know the dates you'll be in town for your cruise. tkporter@ev1.net

We have stayed at the Fairfield Inn in Texas City. The hotel is very nice with a continental breakfast and is right off the interstate. It takes about 20 minutes to get to the pier and the Johnson Space Center is close. EZCruise offers a discount if you book online. $75.00 for a room the night before and $50.00 for parking makes an inexpensive start to a GREAT time.

Archived