Need fun & cheap (free or almost) ideas!

knothead

pubic bus to "Public Beach" which is just a part of 7 mile beach. Actually, the whole beach is public, just like all the beached on the Cayman Islands.

Bus is $2.50 USD per person. Find them about 2 blocks in, 1 block left from the tender pier.

If you already have snorkeling gear, Eden Rock is a close enough site you can walk to it from the tender dock. Just get to the shore and turn right. Walk a block or 3 and you are there. No cost.

<font color="FF6600">

if there's a way to construe my post as non-argumentative, please do so.</font>

Cruise photos on my Home page <font color="990066">

Spring Break was on the Grand Princess </font>21, March 2004

So when is the next cruise?

The snorkelling is very good in the Caymans, like Brucejr suggested Eden Rock is close by and there are plenty of other snorkelling stops within a short walk or cab drive away. Cemetary Reef is off the beach and the wreck of the Cali is in the main port area too. My favorite, Smith cove is a few miles south, has great snorkelling and a scenic cozy beach too. If you rent a car, Hell is a tourist spot thats free, its really just a couple of stores that sell Hell stuff and some creepy rock formations which you can take some photos of. Nothing real special there but you can say that you went there. A scenic drive around the island is cool, we went to a place on the southeast side, i think its called blow holes where the water crashes into rock and shoots out in gushes, pretty cool and there used to be a Coconut man who set up a stand across the street. You would buy a Coconut and he'd put in a straw for you, after you drank it up, you brought it back and he sliced up the coconut for you to eat, not too pricey there. If you continue around the island, besides the many places to stop and get some beach, you will eventually hit Rum Point, on the northwest tip. Its a cool little hangout where you can relax in a hammock, maybe get a drink and listen to Barefoot Man (if hes still there?) or some other singer. That is pretty much free too, but you can eat and drink there. If you dont feel like driving much, you can take a ferry to Rum point from just north of the port. The sights are free, snorkelling is free and the beach is free. If youve never been to Grand Cayman before, the sting ray city tour is a must must must! I love the tortuga rum too, last year we brought home 8 bottles, ya hoo, you might like it.. have fun, Ricknlynn

Take a look at the following website-it lists all the "buses"

http://www.caymanvacations.com/indexmenu.htm?general/bus_service.htm&2

(I think they are actually minivans) and their routes and times. It looks like a much cheaper method of transport. (I would make sure I had taxi fare with me just in case I had any problem with the buses though)

Thank you all for the great ideas. We may try some of the beaches & eden rock! I agree the string rays are not to be missed, we were at sting ray city back in Dec 2001.

Are the entrances to the beach/snorkeling areas rocky? Will we need our swim shoes? We have the snorkel & mask but that is all, no vest or fins is this okay?

The entrance to snorkel sites are not rocky, most are accessible by beach. Eden Rock, is a few rock steps. Cemetary Reef is on 7 mile beach and Smith Cove has a cute beach are and soft warm sand all around. Water shoes or snorkel shoes are great to have anyway, but not really needed in the Caymans. Rick

Thanks rick

I noticed you were from vermont! My husband wants to spend Christmas in Vermont one year! He has always talked about how pretty it would be to see in december! Since I know nothing about this great state any suggestions on what towns would be best to see around that time of year?

I live in Vermont now and noticed you said your husband wants to spend Christmas here in VT. Where would he like to go? I live in Burlington, but the best place to go @ Christmas would be Stowe---what do you think mrric747?

Rhapsody of the Seas 6/27-7/4

Well, cgr is right on Stowe and there also is Sugarbush but those are the touristy spots and the skiiers flock there and it can be kind of pricey. Most of Vermont has wonderful snow capped hills and mountains and the all back roads are scenic, cute towns with b@b are almost everywhere. Even Burlington, with Church Street Marketplace and the Lake Champlain shore is a nice stop. You can do Vermont cheap or expensive too , its really up to you.

Rick

Thanks CGR & Rick for your comments on Vermont! I will print these out and do some VT research before our trip! I know it want be in the near Christmas' because we have to talk MIL into letting us go!!! She thinks it would be awful to skip FAMILY christmas!!

If you have Spouses agreement on this ....On June 25th (6 months prior to Christmas) tell MIL that you and spouse decided that this years' "Family Christmas" was being held in VT and that you sure hope that the family will be there with the 2 of you, BUT that is where you will be! If they are Not going to join you in VT, do they wnat to do the "present thing" at Thanksgiving?

Nice but Firm! And plenty of time to get over the sting of something that is not her plan.

Just my unsolicited 2 cents worth....

Archived