Nice Restaurant & Beach in Playa del Carmen

lisacas1

Can anyone recommend a good restaurant & less crowded beach in Playa del Carmen. Something preferrably close to the shopping section (I think 5th avenue?) We'll be going to Playa del Carmen via the Ecstasy on 9/2/06.

Not looking to do an excursion really but instead do a little shopping and then hit the good restaurant and beach. We'll mostly be depending on cabs and on foot to get around. From what I have read so far, you have to take a cab from the Calica pier to PDC... so what's a good "drop off" point? Not so touristy, yet not too deep in the woods...

Thanks!

You will love Playa..it's a beautiful area with lots to see and a very beautiful beach.

If you want a quieter stretch of beach, ask the taxi driver to take you to the beach in front of the Las Palapas or Shangri La Caribe hotels. I think it was 38 Calle Norte (38th Street North). This is only a few minutes outside the main town area of Playa, which is actually becoming part of town since it's growing so fast. Should be about 15 or so minutes from Calica pier.

Anyhow, I stayed at the Shangri La Caribe last year....and the beach and water there are fabulous. It's not deserted but much quieter than the beach is closer to town. You won't be able to use their chairs or facilities, but the beach is public and open to all. You can walk back into town along the beach to get to Fifth Avenue (La Quinta Avenida) for great dining and lots of shopping.

You can also walk to the left (north) from the beach at Shangri La Caribe and you will find an even quieter stretch of beach up that way. To the right (south) you will find two beach clubs...very nice, but probably not the quiet atmosphere you are looking for.

The beaches south of Calica - in the Tulum area, about 1/2 hour or 45 minutes from the port are very beautiful and pretty quiet. Paraiso Beach club comes highly recommended.

However, I would most likely recommend going to the beaches in Playa itself, especially for a first visit on a limited time frame, and you will love the shops and restaurants they have to offer there. Only about a 10 minute cab ride from the pier in Calica.

Restaurant wise, I love a lot of the ones on the main street (Fifth Avenue) or slightly off Fifth in town - El Oasis (awesome fish tacos), Palapa Hemingway's, Mandarina's (great crepes), Babe's (if you want some great Thai food), Karen's, Don Emilione's, etc. There are lots of great places to eat there.

However, my absolute favorite dining experience was a cute little restaurant not far from where the taxi driver would drop you off at the public access point to the Shangri La Caribe area beach(38th Street)..it's called La Cueva del Chango....it's a sweet little place with some of the best seafood I have ever had and amazing service. Best of all, if you sit outside on the patio area, chances are you may see the monkeys that live in the area...swinging from tree to tree to get a closer look at you! Last year, we saw a mama and her newborn baby! Don't miss this place.......

Cabs are plentiful and not very expensive, you should have plenty of time to shop, eat, and enjoy the beach. Have fun!

Archived