Cruise Directors

momofcnb

The last view cruises we took, the Cruise Director and there staff either made it great, or truly stink. I was wondering who your favorite princess cruise director has been and why? Thanks!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;4;10;12;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

UNTIL SPRING BREAK ON THE CARIBBEAN PRINCESS

We like Paul O'Laughlin. He and one of the comedians were friends and did comedy routines together on board and were really funny. He's funny but a very good CD. We also like Graham Seymour who is just plain nuts!

We were somewhat dissapointed with Graham Seymour on the Golden 3/20 cruise. From all I hear/read I was really expecting something special but found him to just be ok. He was hardly even visable, only did a couple of the morning shows and was not at most of the evening shows we went to. The Assistant, Gavin was at all the shows and bingo and on most of the morning shows. I've been on many cruises where the CD is around all the time and outside before and after the shows talking to the pax. I like on past cruises when we see them at the gang ways. In my opinion, Graham was funny the couple of times we saw him but did not live up to my expectation. We were thinking that maybe he was training Gavin to become the CD so he backed off and let Gavin take center stage.

Golden 3/20/2004 Tahitian Princess 11/19/2003

Norwegian Sun 2002; Celebrity Infinity 2002;Sun Princess Alaska 2001;Ocean Princess 2000, Sea Princess 1999,Grand Princess 1999, Carnival Destiny 1998, Carnival Facination 1997, Carnival Celebration 1995

Lest we forget, the Cruise Director's main functions are: managing the cruise staff, scheduling activities, managing and scheduling the entertainers, and dealing with the home office (and, I may have forgotten a few). Being entertaining, or funny, while helpful, really isn't part of his/her job. The best will go FAR out of their way to accomodate passengers, read the type of passengers on any given cruise, and try to perform their tasks in such a way as to make the most passengers happy. THAT IS A TOUGH JOB! So, in my opinion (with 16 cruises), the best of PRINCESS are Gus Sexton, Mark Iannuzzo and Janet Edwards (Gus is retired, Mark now owns a restaurant, and Janet is part-time between filming TV commercials). This opinion is not to knock any of the other active cruise directors (I've never sailed with Paul O'Loughlin or Graham Seymour); just the best of the CD's that I have encountered. But, I would be remiss if I didn't mention Deputy Cruise Director Frankie Verroca (from Hershey, PA); if you've ever met him, you'd know what I mean! He can make ANYBODY's cruise more enjoyable! Just my 2 cents.

Brian Price is absolutely the best. I believe he is on the Coral Princess now, but we cruised with him several times on the Royal Princess, and he is fantastic. I don't think he ever sleeps.. He was always around. Of course the Royal is a smaller ship, so it was easy to get to know other passengers, entertainers and Brian.

We met one of the Cruise Director's staff on our Panama Canal cruise aboard the Dawn Princess in April 2002. We were pleased to see her again on the Golden Princess in March of 2003. We never did catch her last name and only know her as Lisa from Vancouver. She always seemed to have a sincere interest and passion in both her job and, more importantly, the passengers on board. Anyone know where she is now?

My favorite is Tim Donovan, anyone know where he is today?

And I keep running into CD Staff member Jane from Aus. Three cruises, on two different boats, and there she is. Told her I'll next see her on the Island in October. LOL icon_biggrin.gif

----------

Sept/1998 - Grand Princess (Inaugural Year, Eastern Carib)

Apr/2003 - Grand Princess (Married at Sea!, Western Carib)

Sep/2003 - Grand Princess (No inlaws this time, Eastern Carib)

Feb/2004 - Dawn Princess (Something different, Southern Carib)

Alastair Greener, hands down the best! He was on the Island last November. Don't know where he is now. I've been on two cruises where he was CD and he is just great.

KB

NCL NORWAY - 2000

GOLDEN PRINCESS - 2001

GOLDEN PRINCESS - 2002

HAL NOORDAM - 2002

HAL VOLENDAM - 2003

ISLAND PRINCESS - NOV. 2003

HAL VOLENDAM - JAN. 2004

Alistair was the cruise director on the Golden back in April 2002 and was wonderful.

No sure who was director on the Grand last year but he sure didn't impress me. I don't even remember his name.

Sailing on the Caribbean Princess later this month and hope Alistair is on it.

I have to agree with some previous posts. I think Janet Edwards was excellent much energy.

Also, close is Alastair Greener.

Can anyone tell me who is the CD on the Star?Any comments?

KJG

Star Princess,Barcelona-Venice, LV 5/14,Board 5/16

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;05;16;11;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100

I agree with John about Mark Iannuzzo. He was the CD on the Crown Princess some years ago and was so funny. icon_razz.gif He was an absolute riot at Pub Night dressed as a nerd, and even made the horse races fun, which we normally never attend. We went to so many shows and activities just because we enjoyed his humor so much. I would someday love to go to his restaurant -- do you know what/where it is?

See someone above mentioned the now retired Gus Sexton. He was quite a character, and very personable to boot.

Surprised no one mentioned Billy Hygate, who is one of our favorites. A former entertainer himself, he puts on a wonderful London Pub Night. His wife, whose name slips my mind, is or was a choreographer for the production show dance numbers, and is a talented artist in her own right. If memory serves correctly, Billy doesn't cruise as much as he used to - the bulk of his time being spent in the Corporate Offices.

Michael

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> the best of PRINCESS are Gus Sexton, Mark Iannuzzo and Janet Edwards (Gus is retired, Mark now owns a restaurant, and Janet is part-time between filming TV commercials). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> While I've never sailed with Gus, I have with both Mark and Janet and have to agree. I've heard that Mark wanted to get back with Princess but was unable to and is now sailing with Radisson. As for Janet, she was on board my Sun Princess sailing last week - just as good as she ever was!

-------------------------

Sun Princess, 03/2004; Pacific Princess, 07/2003; Star Princess, 05/2003; Grand Princess, 10/2002; Grand Princess, 10/2002; Sun Princess, 05/2001; Sun Princess, 04/2001; Sun Princess, 09/2000; Sun Princess, 09/2000; Regal Princess, 10/1999; Sun Princess, 08/1998; Holiday, 05/1998; Westerdam, 09/1997; Regal Princess, 11/1996; Royal Odyssey, 09/1995; Starward, 11/1993

Here are the cruise directors we have met on our previous cruises:

1995: Peter Coleman (Regal Princess). I have heard that Peter is not with Princess anymore. He was very funny and a great entertainer.

2000: Billy Hygate (Sea Princess). Billy is a very good entertainer. Never saw him outside of the shows. Did you know that he was the "captain" of the Dawn Princess in a Bay Watch film ?

2002: Tim Donovan (Dawn Princess). Tim is great ! If you sail with him, you're in for a blast !

2004: Richard Joseph (Coral Princess). For me, this is THE cruise director. We had the chance to meet him a couple of times during our cruise and he is simply the best. He really cares about passengers and he wants each and everyone to have a great cruise.

This is it... Enjoy your next cruise !

Alain R.

---------- *** ---------- *** ---------- *** ---------- *** ----------

Want to see some pictures from our cruises ?

Just go to:

Alain & Linda cruises pictures

... and enjoy !

---------- *** ---------- *** ---------- *** ---------- *** ----------

1995 - Regal Princess (Eastern Carrib)

2000 - Sea Princess (Western Carrib)

2002 - Dawn Princess (Southern Carrib)

2004 - Coral Princess (Panama canal)

2005 - Dawn Princess (Southern Carrib Meddley)

Time left before our next cruise (2005 Dawn Princess):

<applet code="countdown.class" CODEBASE="http://*************/java-sys" width="203" height="25">

<param name="font" value="lcdb0">

<param name="year" value=2005>

<param name="month" value=3>

<param name="day" value=20>

<param name="hour" value=17>

</applet>

"Stars are brighter when you look at them from sea !"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Originally quoted by Druke I:

Surprised no one mentioned Billy Hygate … If memory serves correctly, Billy doesn't cruise as much as he used to - the bulk of his time being spent in the Corporate Offices.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Billy is still active. He has been the CD on four or our six cruises, missing only Hawaii and Alaska. The only reason he was not on our Alaska cruise is that he was on a short vacation when we sailed. He is currently the CD on the Diamond Princess, or at least he was on the first couple of cruises.

We like him very much, but we can’t really compare him because to the other favorites mentioned here, as we have not sailed with any of them.

Jim.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;10;4;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0400

Dawn Princess to W. Caribbean 10/4/04

Diamond Princess 2-Day Mexican Sampler 3/04

Star Princess to Alaska 7/03

Star Princess 3-Day Coastal 5/03

Sun Princess to Hawaii 1/03

Star Princess to Mexico 11/02

Sea Princess to Mexico 11/01

Archived