small rennaisance ships V-VIII

Former Ren ships make up 2 of the 3 ship fleet of Oceana Cruise Line which is getting excellent reviews as one might expect since the two former chiefs of Rennaisance run it...

The other Ren ships are with Princess as Pacific Princess and Tahitian Princess and the last Ren ship is slated to join Princess from the Princess/Carnival subsidiery Swan Hellenic that has an interesting "scholar cruise" market niche but presently an uncertain future.

Ren ships were newly built and remain as popular as ever in their present lives with these other lines.

I appreciate your answer but I am looking for the smallest of the original ships. They only held 150 passengers and were fabulous. The cabins were big enough and with burled wood all over and mirrored ceilings. The food was excellent too.

Renaissance Five = SPIRIT OF OCEANUS

Renaissance Six = HEBRIDEAN SPIRIT

Renaissance Seven = CORINTHIAN II

Renaissance Eight = ISLAND SKY

Do they all belong to the same line now or are they separated?

How do I find them

I assume Google is the easiest way...

CORINTHIAN II (RENAISSANCE VII) and ISLAND SKY (RENAISSANCE VIII) --

Please note they were never named by Roman numbers but by English words for numbers all the way from Renaissance Two to Eight.

CORINTHIAN II (RENAISSANCE VII) and ISLAND SKY (RENAISSANCE VIII) are owned by the same people, but have different charterers.

The others are separated.

Thank you Host Doug. I have checked further on my own and Oceanus seems like the only one operating as a regular cruise ship. Are there any good smaller ships that aren't as expensive as Seabourne?

Thank you Host Doug. I have checked further on my own and Oceanus seems like the only one operating as a regular cruise ship. Are there any good smaller ships that aren't as expensive as Seabourne?

Gem,

You have a link you can supply?

My very first cruise was on one the the Renaissance "baby ships" which held 114 passengers. Our room had wood paneling and a walk-in closet!

I LOVED that ship and almost cried when Ren went out of business. Actually we were booked on another one in Oct. 2001 and our TA called us 3 days prior to our cruise to tell us that Ren went out of business. :(

I have been on two Oceania cruises - the old larger Ren ships that hold 600+ passengers. They're terrific, but nothing like the baby ships.....though much nicer than the huge ships that hold 1800+ pax!

Please note they were never named by Roman numbers but by English words for numbers all the way from Renaissance Two to Eight.

Last night I was debating with myself whether it was Roman numerals or words. I finally decided on Roman numerals :o .

Thank you Host Doug. I have checked further on my own and Oceanus seems like the only one operating as a regular cruise ship.

They are all "regular cruise ships".

SPIRIT OF OCEANUS is of course with Cruise West.

HEBRIDEAN SPIRIT is with Hebridean Cruises.

CORINTHIAN II is chartered by Travel Dynamics International.

ISLAND SKY is chartered by Noble Caledonia.

Are there any good smaller ships that aren't as expensive as Seabourne?

Depends on how good, how small, and how much less expensive ;) .

That said, there is nothing in the niche where the small Renaissance ships were. They were actually modeled on the Sea Goddess (now SeaDream) ships and aimed at offering a similar product but much less expensive. It didn't work - these eight ships were huge money-losers. The newer, larger R-class ships were much more profitable (and are now making a lot of money with new owners like Oceania) while the little Renaissance-class ships are mainly now in a much higher-priced market segment than the one Renaissance competed in.

• 1 month later...

Have been on the Oceanus - was grand.

Have been on the Nautica (big Ren) - hated it. TOO many folks! Too bottom-line focused (charging for water for their overpriced shore excursions). Too regimented. Felt like processed cheese!

Small ship choices to consider which are as nice as baby Rens (but in different respects) are limited. The Seadream Yacht Club ships are meant to be nice but don't really appeal to me - not sure why. The Windstar ships are probably my favorite - relaxed but upmarket. Really liked the Monet (60 pax) owned by Elegant Cruise Line for Croatia cruising. Trying to get info on a "new" ship Saga (UK corp.) now operates with 350 pax - it's called the Spirit of Adventure.

Other baby Ren you might want to consider - easycruise! Saw it recently - orange, orange, and more orange!!!!

• 8 months later...

100% agreed. The Baby Rens were the best and nothing has come close to date. Just researching/writing this is actually gut-wrenching for me. So many, many good memories and I only cruised them once:

Renaissance One = ??????

Renaissance Two = easyCruise One (easyCruise.com)

Renaissance Three = Galapagos Explorer II (Canodros)

Renaissance Four = Cleia II (a greek tycoon bought her for his wife who reduced the # of cabins and is now chartered)

Renaissance Five = Spirit of Oceanus (Cruise West)

Renaissance Six = Hebridean Spirit (Hebridean Int'l Cruises)

Renaissance Seven = Island Sky (Bahamian owned but operated by Noble Caledonia)

Renaissance Eight = Corinthian II (Travel Dynamics Int'l)

I got these out of my 2007 Berlitz Guide. Couldn't find the One or the Four. However, since my first cruise was on Four, I had researched her earlier so I know she's now the Cleia II.

Couldn't find the One though. Maybe I missed it in the guide. On the other hand, there was this link on the net which might be the One (if anybody has 11.5 million lying about):

http://cruiseship.homestead.com/world.html

(wish I was a greek tycoon!)

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

RENAISSANCE CRUISES (Ft. Lauderdale, FL) (Out of business - Eight Renaissance ships have been sold to the venture company Cruise Invest Management)

R1 (RClass ship), 684 pax (Chartered to Oceania Cruises and renamed Insignia)

R2 (RClass ship), 684 pax (Chartered to Oceania Cruises and renamed Regatta)

R3 (RClass ship), 684 pax (Chartered to P&O Princess and renamed Pacific Princess)

R4 (RClass ship), 684 pax (Chartered to P&O Princess and renamed Tahitian Princess)

R5 (RClass ship), 684 pax (Sold to Oceania Cruises and renamed Nautica)

R6 (RClass ship), 684 pax (Chartered to Spanish operator Pullmantur)

R7 (RClass ship), 684 pax (She went to Delphin Kreuzfahrten to become Delphin Renaissance. Currently Pullmantur Cruises' Blue Moon)

R8 (RClass ship), 684 pax (Leased for seven years to Swan Hellenic. She was renamed Minerva II)

Renaissance VII, 114 pax (Sold to Mauritius Island Cruises)

Renaissance VIII, 114 pax (Sold to Mauritius Island Cruises)

http://www.cybercruises.com/shiplist.htm

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
Well, with Essiesmon's post we now know where ALL of Rennaisance ships are.

Not really: Celebrity bought two of them, then spun off Azamara Cruises with the Journey and the Quest. We sailed the Quest last October when she was about 3 weeks out of drydock and interior refitting.

Archived