Lisbon - Barcelona - April 2007

upgrademe

Hoping for some help as we plan our next Windstar cruise

What is the weather like in April in Portugal and Spain?

Any must-do recommendations for excursions?

Is it worth arriving in Lisbon a day or two early?

Can you recommend a good hotel in Lisbon?

THANK YOU!

It looks like the ports are somewhat different between Wind Surf, Wind Spirit and Wind Star - it may help others discuss the ports and excursions if you let us know which ship you're sailing on. We were on a Barcelona to Lisbon cruise last October, so I can't help you on the weather.

By all means, arrive in Lisbon a few days early. We ended our Wind Star cruise there last November, and spent an extra two days -- and could easily have spent many more. We stayed at the Lisboa Plaza, which was acceptable, but didn't make a huge impression. I'm sure you'll find better recommendations. If you do arrive a few days early, I can recommend Tours for You (http://www.toursforyou.pt) as a good group for out-of-town excursions. Book a private tour for the best time.

We only took ship excursions twice on our cruise, once in Malaga (to the Alhambra) and once in Tangiers. I recommend the Alhambra tour, although it is a little rushed (but we still got back into Malaga in time to wander around the downtown shopping area). I personally wouldn't have wanted to tackle Tangiers by myself. I had tried to get a private guide lined up ahead of time, but couldn't get it arranged. We ended up on a ship tour that went to the caves of Hercules and to the Tangiers Kasbah, which was interesting in that it took you outside of the city and into the countryside a little bit. It also was a little rushed, but it was a big tour (I think two thirds of the ship was on the tour), and we also weren't in port very late that day - only until 3 pm.

The rest of the ports we visited (Palma de Mallorca, Ibiza, Portimao) we simply walked around. We also had an extra day or so in Barcelona which we spent at Gaudi's El Templo de la Sagrada Familia and wandering around the Ramblas.

I can't be too much help to you yet as we don't do our Lisbon - Barcelona cruise until September. Definitely plan an additional day or two in Lisbon. Going to Lisbon is what sold me on this cruise. There is plenty to do in and around Lisbon. Many traveler experts are calling it the next major hot spot; so we wanted to go before it changed much more and maybe lost some of its charm. We are staying at the Pestana Palace, which is close but not right in main sightseeing areas. We also looked at the Bairro Alto Hotel, which is a new hotel right in the midst of things and voted by Conde Nast Traveler as a "hot" hotel this year.

Have fun!

The weather in Barcelona was about 60's with a little rain. Lisbon was in the 70's and sunny. We were going west and it got warmer everyday. I have a homepage(link in signature) that has all kinds of information for both, plus a lot of links you can go to for even more info on hotels, things to do, etc... Hope this helps and have a great time! Andros

Archived