What About Travel Insurance?

Lair Bear

Can any of you recommend travel insurance companies?

We recently dealt with Access America and were disappointed in the treatment when we had to submit a claim.

I realize there are many others and would like some suggestions. Thanks.

Can any of you recommend travel insurance companies?

We recently dealt with Access America and were disappointed in the treatment when we had to submit a claim.

I realize there are many others and would like some suggestions. Thanks.

We did quite alot of research and decided on STA Travel for our insurance. This insurance is advertised for students & Young travelers, we are neither and it didn't matter. We compared coverage with other companies and found that this insurance offered everything that we needed at a very good rate. Our concerns were with emergency evacuation, trip interruption etc.. We are covered under Blue Cross/Blue Shield Federal Empoyee Insurance but felt we needed additonal protection. As I mentioned the rate was very good the rate for two of us was $152.00 for 15 days of coverage. I actually found out about STA here on CC. Hope this is of some help.

We did quite alot of research and decided on STA Travel for our insurance.

Do you know who the actual insurance carrier is?

If you look on "insuremytrip.com" they will provide comparisons of various insurance companies and policies. They even identify what coverage is primary and what is secondary. This has a large bearing on how claims are taken care of.

Do you know who the actual insurance carrier is?

If you look on "insuremytrip.com" they will provide comparisons of various insurance companies and policies. They even identify what coverage is primary and what is secondary. This has a large bearing on how claims are taken care of.

Berkley Care is the underwritter of the insurance and it has a AAA rating, this was one of the reasons that we decided to go with them.

This was on another thread talking about STA Travel Insurance and thought it was interesting.

I too booked out trip insurance with them, I found their web address and there was a 1-800 number which I called, it so happened to be that I was talking to a local office they had in downtown Columbus. I ordered up my policy and went there to pick it up (not a necessity they will mail it but I was going to be in the neighborhood that day) they have been around for a long time. The policy is underwritten by BerkelyCare which other cruiselines use for their insurance. I am happy with the coverage offered, seemed to be the same as many others but the price can't be beat.

I will check this out further.

We were satisfied with Access America, the people were polite and the coverage is what we were looking for, untill we submitted a claim.

I don't suppose you had to do that with STA Travel or know of someone who has had any experience with that?

I will check this out further.

We were satisfied with Access America, the people were polite and the coverage is what we were looking for, untill we submitted a claim.

I don't suppose you had to do that with STA Travel or know of someone who has had any experience with that?

Sorry, this is the first time that we have used this company and our trip isn't until September. When I was researching travel insurance on CC I think I did run across someone that had good experience with the company, if I can located that information again I will post it. Shirley

Sorry' date=' this is the first time that we have used this company and our trip isn't until September. When I was researching travel insurance on CC I think I did run across someone that had good experience with the company, if I can located that information again I will post it. Shirley[/color']

Here is the information that I read on CC:

Hi, this is an older thread now so you may no longer be interested. But just in case: I live in Australia and have used STA insurance and have had to claim on it. They were exceptional - paid up quickly and with no fuss. Of course STA is a broker - e.g. they don't actually own the insurance company, so the one they use in USA might be different. But I was hospitalised in Singapore and claimed through them and they were quick, efficient and no problem.

And yes, you don't have to travel with them to use their insurance, nor do you have to be a student, although if you are a student (at the time I was a 46 year old full time PhD stude) you get it even cheaper.

There are many types of insurance, and it can be hard to compare policies or companies if you aren't sure what you need. I'd suggest using the comparison engine at Insure My Trip, http://www.insuremytrip.com, which displays the features and restrictions of different policies in a chart that makes them easy to compare.

Also, after spending 18 days in a Rome hospital for a "medical event" that wasn't (but could have been) devastating, I went out and bought a medical evacuation policy from MedJetAssist (http://www.medjetassist.com). $325 a year for a family plan that covers trips of up to 90 days at a time is a small price to pay for knowing that we'll be flown home by air ambulance from anywhere in the world if a heart attack, stroke, major accident, etc. makes evacuation desirable or necessary.

Archived