Infinity Vancouver Arrival Delayed 7/16/06

SkyGuy747

Interesting. Infinity was in dry-dock in March, so it is highly unlikely to be a pod-problem. I checked the webcam archive to see if there was a medical evacuation or diversion or something, but couldn't find anything. However... isn't Ininity supposed to be in Sitka on Friday's? The webcam archive shows shots of nothing but ocean for yesterday, Friday July 14.

Floris

The gang has been in contact and the propulsion problems have been confirmed. Passengers are being told ETA Vancouver is 1230 at earliest.

Infinity bypassed Sitka and is operating at reduced speed. Celebrity has provided free internet access to contact relatives and rebook flights if required, as well as a Credit note towards next cruise.

There are also rumours of some gastro illness onboard but the extent is not known. Likely nothing to worry about.

Actually, you provided the best news... that the departure delay would be 8-32 hours. By that I mean that it sounds like they're confident they can have it fixed fairly quickly.

If I were a betting man, I'd say you'll be on your way by midnight with a few bucks to spend in your onboard account and you'll have the trip of a lifetime!

I hope you enjoy your cruise - remember, you can hit curveballs and fastballs too!

I'm glad to hear that bonbon!

I think it was Stephen Covey or someone of that ilk that said two things:

1. Don't sweat the small stuff.

2. It's all small stuff.

It's not easy sometimes, but I try and take it to heart!

I hope you enjoy your cruise next week, and please leave an Almond croissant for me. If there are none left, I know where you guys live!

I am betting we do not get out of their that fast. However... we are in a royal suite so I will have to console myself in the hot tub on the deck looking out over Vancouver Harbor. Gee... anyone want that tough job?:D I am guessing we will also lose a port. I hope it is Ketchikan. (our 15th year to come to Alaska and we just got back from there on the Alaska ferry this week.) Losing Sitka is another story, my favorite port. We will see.....

Thank you for the reassurance....I have been sweating everything about this trip. I've never spent this boat load of money on a vacation before. I'm more accustomed to packing up the car and heading up to the cottage. The embarkation process can be just as challenging, but the formal nights are sweat pants and clean t-shirt.

event.png

I'm glad to hear that bonbon!

I think it was Stephen Covey or someone of that ilk that said two things:

1. Don't sweat the small stuff.

2. It's all small stuff.

It's not easy sometimes, but I try and take it to heart!

I hope you enjoy your cruise next week, and please leave an Almond croissant for me. If there are none left, I know where you guys live!

I'll leave some almond croissants for a fellow Canuck. But, if they're as good as you say, I'm making no promises.

event.png

Excuse my ignorance here, but what does all this mean. Propulsion problems? People getting sick?

I too leave in 8 days, and my first trip on X, and my first to Alaska. I don't want to miss any ports. How will they fix it, if it goes out tomorrow?

I know we have a week yet, but still????

A few years ago, I was booked on Infinity to Hawaii. A week prior to sailing it developed pod problems, had to disembark all the passengers in Mexico and sail back to Freeport for major repair.

If you have made all your arrangements through Celebrity, you are safe but perhaps without a cruise.

If you arranged your own air there might be a problem. My insurance claim for air was denied because the airplane flew. Lack of cruise is not an insurable claim. The good news. I got the money back from my cruise and a free cruise on Summit. I lost the air:mad:. without compensation.

Call Celebrity and find out if the cruise is red-flagged.

My RCL stock is going to get another major hit Monday...

http://www.kroooz-cams.com/celebrityindex.html

Not that I don't feel for all of you the pax boarding today and next Sunday but if they decided to do something major, what are the odds they will have everything done in 2 weeks?? We sail 2 weeks from today!

Excuse my ignorance here, but what does all this mean. Propulsion problems? People getting sick?

I too leave in 8 days, and my first trip on X, and my first to Alaska. I don't want to miss any ports. How will they fix it, if it goes out tomorrow?

I know we have a week yet, but still????

The propulsion problem is a common one with M class ships - there's lots of threads about them , but don't read them - you'll just stress yourself even more. The good news is - they are used to dealing with them so fixing it shouldn't be too big a deal except to the passengers that now have their cruise all messed up !!!!

I feel badly for the people leaving today. In a one week cruise with only 3 ports - who wants to miss one. I feel especially bad for any first time cruisers because as a first time cruiser - planning my cruise - I would be heartbroken. I know, don't sweat the small stuff - and that's true - but, I'd still be heartbroken.

I think I would rather have the cruise cancelled and book another than miss 1 of only 3 ports, but we can do that because my DH will be retired by then - I realize that's not so easy for everyone.

KEEPING MY FINGERS CROSSED FOR THOSE OF YOU GOING TOMORROW AND NEXT WEEK ! and the week after that, and the week after that !!

Actually, you provided the best news... that the departure delay would be 8-32 hours. By that I mean that it sounds like they're confident they can have it fixed fairly quickly.

If I were a betting man, I'd say you'll be on your way by midnight with a few bucks to spend in your onboard account and you'll have the trip of a lifetime!quote]

This is a very helpful perspective for some of us first-timers to hear. Thanks, SkyGuy.

For those of you embarking today, please keep us posted! We'll wish you well, we'll wish the Infinity a speedy recovery, and we'll keep our fingers crossed for the future cruisers.

Let us know what you hear, okay?

quahog8

Remember, even Celebrity doesn't know the scope of the issue at this point (although they've got the best guess, bar none.) So, there's no need to assume the worst!

It could be as simple as a slight vibration and the captain wants to protect it from further deterioration by operating at a reduced speed until they can get someone into the water to check it out. Once they know the type of problem, I'm sure they'll make the arrangements necessary to fix it ASAP. Changing a propeller blade, for example, can be done fairly quickly. Even if a dry dock is required, I know there's a suitable one in Victoria, and there's probably one right in Vancouver.

It's never easy to have plans you've worked hard on put into jeopardy, so my thoughts are with those in limbo (although I hear Limbo is very nice this time of year:p ) You can also bet that there's no one who wants this fixed faster than Celebrity themselves!

Onward!

Remember, even Celebrity doesn't know the scope of the issue at this point (although they've got the best guess, bar none.) So, there's no need to assume the worst!

It could be as simple as a slight vibration and the captain wants to protect it from further deterioration by operating at a reduced speed until they can get someone into the water to check it out. Once they know the type of problem, I'm sure they'll make the arrangements necessary to fix it ASAP. Changing a propeller blade, for example, can be done fairly quickly. Even if a dry dock is required, I know there's a suitable one in Victoria, and there's probably one right in Vancouver.

It's never easy to have plans you've worked hard on put into jeopardy, so my thoughts are with those in limbo (although I hear Limbo is very nice this time of year:p ) You can also bet that there's no one who wants this fixed faster than Celebrity themselves!

Onward!

Thank you for your wonderful perspective! Of course, you're right. They don't need anymore upset pax over missed ports, propulsion problems, etc!!

WE were on the Infinity last week and we did experience a real vibration one night at 2AM. It shook the ship for approximately 30 seconds and the seas were CALM.

Everyone at our dinner table felt it. In hindsight, it might have been the pods...but no way to tell for sure.

I certainly feel sorry for all those impacted.

It's still a nice sea day for passengers on board.

http://www.kroooz-cams.com/celebrityindex.html

I feel sorry for all of them. I know I'd be stressed out about my flights and connections etc.... and for those who will not be at work tomorrow because they are still in transit.

For others sailing any of the M-class ships.... book Celebrity air and be flexible. They are still wonderful cruises.

Archived