Andrea Doria

On the 50th anniversary of the loss of the Andrea Doria, I think it is appropriate for us to remember those who lost their lives on both the Andrea Doria and the Stockholm as well as the loss of a lovely ship.

I think it is also appropriate to be thankful for the miracle that so few lives were lost and that the Master of the Ile de France made the right decision to steam towards the Doria and the Stockholm and participate with the other vessels on the scene in saving so many people.

Many lives were changed that night. Please, remember.

Between 1953 and 1956 many of my reLATIVES immigrated to Canada (via New York) on the Doria. Despite sailings made previouysly ad aftere - no ship lives up to the standards of the Andrea Doria - we have been talking about her all day today -and will no doubt continue to discuss it all day tomorrow until we watch the PBS show scheduled for tomorrow night. Those that were blessed to cross the Atlantic on the Doria will never forget her -tonight we spent looking at all of the shipboard pictures taken on the Doria - memories that can truly never be replaced.

Two of our most precious family heirlooms is a seahell ashtray with the words Andrea Doria etched in it, and a little sailor doll that was given to my aunt by a member of the crew. Despite the demise of the Italian and Lloyd Triestino lines this is one family that will never forget. Cheers!

HI RKA...Great minds think alike...I just posted something on the Andrea Doria this AM on the Celebrity thread...and I am stunned at how closely my thread resembles yours. We should remember the Doria and all who sailed in her.

The Andrea Adoria...although small by today's standards...29,000 tons???...was a great ship and much loved on both sides of the Atlantic. Her standards for service and accomodations had more style than any other liner out there at the time. There is nothing sailing today in the Premium Market that would equal the quality and standards of her cuisine and service.

HAPPY SAILING,

ROSS

The PBS show on Wednesday night was the best I have seen about the tragedy. I would like to order a copy of the program, but was too slow in getting the phone number recorded that they showed at the end of the program. If anyone did write it down, I would appreciate your posting it. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Yes my uncle was on that great ship the Doria and he survived, Father John Dolciamore. If you can, pick up the book "Saved"- The story of the Andrea Doria, I think it is called. Great book, my uncle's name is mentioned in it many times, very great reading, I couldn't put it down!

Hello bububr,

What interesting stories your Uncle must have! I do have "Saved" on my book shelves and most certainly agree that it is an interesting book. I will look up the references to him. Many seem to have forgotten that the first book published--to my knowledge--about the Andrea Doria tragedy was Alvin Moscow's "Collision Course".

Of course SCUBA divers of the Long Island - Cape Cod area know of the Doria as one of the most ambitious dives of the region.

But you don't need to be a saturation diver to board one of these ships. Amazingly, the Stockholm remains in service... as a cruise ship!

http://www.greatoceanliners.net/stockholm3.html

Archived