A Carnivalite Cruises the Explorer to Bermuda 8/6/06

MrPete

Cruising RCCL has always been in the back of my mind, especially when the Voyager Class came on the scene, but nothing ever gelled.....till this year. Knowing nothing about RCCL strangely brought me back to my cruising roots, curiously excited about the unknown.

The port of Bayonne was completely foreign for me as well.

The suggestions of arriving there at 11:30 are right on the mark. Not knowing how long it would take to get there, we ended up arriving just after 10:30, and sat in traffic waiting for those still getting off to do so. But we ended up parking the car about 11:00, checked in at about 11:15, and was on the ship at 11:45.

Two disappointments hit me right away. There was no grand atrium upon boarding, and the food in the Windjammers was truly disappointing. But that faded quickly once we made it on to the Lido deck and had our first foo foos. I liked the layout of this pool area. It did not and never did seem congested, except when it was the center of an activity.

We headed to our cabin just after 1:00. They were inaccesible before that, with the doors to the staterooms being closed.

THE ROOM:

My Expectation:

A room similar in size to what I was accustomed to, with a balcony and beds. It was a D1.

What I Found:

The room was narrower than I would have expected, the beds were in fact cots with mattresses that were sagging poorly (I asked for those egg crate things as suggested on these boards and got them. Don't know if they did anything). We were also a little further fore than I would have liked, fearing rocking, but this was one of the smoothest rides I've ever encountered.

I did not like the balcony, as it was like sitting in a cave, and the shower looked like the things the Robinson Family were put in for take off in Lost in Space. There was also very little floor space when the third bed was "opened up". I have more bruises on my legs than I've had in years.

But it also didn't help that my last cruise I had a cat 11 wraparound suite.

From there EVERYTHING WENT UPHILL.

We booked kind of late, so we were assigned late seating. This was not going to fare well with a 7 year old. We made our way down to the dining room, and met with the Maitre d'. I though he was playing Tetris it seemed to take him so long to find something, but he ended up putting us in the off the dining room "room", at a table of 10, right at a window. This was good!

We spent the afternoon at the pool, and headed down when it got close to dinner time.

THE FOOD:

What I Expected:

Based on the boards, sub par cuisine.

What I Found:

The food was very good. Something to chose from here and there. I enjoyed all I ordered, and sometimes ordered more than one meal. My only disappointments were the lobster and the turkey, but they were still paletable. Just prepared different that I was used to. Our waiter even brought us second helpings of the lobster.

What I didn't expect was that off hours, food was not really readily available. I've gotten used to having something available at all hours. We did try Johnny Rockets on night at 11:30. Never had their food before. Never will again. Not my kind of grub. The stuff they had at Cafe Promenade never looked that appealing, and I stayed away from the pizza.

The Windjammers fare was better all the subsequent days of eating there. We only had lunch once in the DR, just so we had more pool time. Never had breakfast there.

THE ENTERTAINMENT:

All excellent. We went to most shows, and enjoyed each and every one of them. They have a talented lineup on this ship.

The Ice show was over the top, although I was surprised at how often the performers fell. Yeah, I know, we are on a moving ship, but we had seas of glass both up and down, and never felt a thing. But still, a very enjoyable show.

THE CRUISE DIRECTOR:

I always enjoy a goo, personable and funny cruise director. We were fortunate to have him on this trip. Name was Allan Brooks, and just left the ship this morning for vacation

THE PORTS:

BERMUDA! Need I say more? And yet, all we did both days was go to Horseshoe bay. On Tuesday and every Tuesday night, they have a street festival next to the clock tower mall. It's some shows, and local flea market stuff, but it was nice. It's like one big block party. Later that night, they have the deck party on board.

THE SHIP:

Stunning! More that lots to do, and we still never came close to seeing everything. Loved the Royal Promenade. Love the lounges up in the round thing. The views are stunning, as is the atmosphere. We never even got up there until the fourth day, and unfortunately, never got back there. The main show lounge is accommodating, although they should do something about the bottle neck. I was used to only two (four) banks of elevators. We did our sneak trick of going up one flight, and then heading down into the masses, just to go back up again. But I was NOT going to walk up 9 flights of stairs!

Everything about this ship was soothing, stunning, and enjoyable.

I was surprised to find the lower decks to be non passible from one end to the other. And was even more fruatrating if I found I was on the wrong end on the ship. Having two atriums really screwed me up.

What I did like was being able to go to the front of the ship. I've been waiting to do that for 18 years!

THE SERVICE:

Fantastic! Loved how they ALWAYS called you by name. Nice touch. All were very friendly.

THE UNEXPECTED:

Carnival has it's hairy chest contest. I guess the equivalent on RCCL is the hairy leg contest. But I did NOT appreciate the guy in the Speedo pulling down his bathing suit to reveal his entire azz. What a jerk. And if you're reading this, buy a dipilatory.

MY REGRET:

Not getting to attend The Quest. It looked like a good idea, and seeing the video afterward, looked like I missed something enjoyable.

THE FUTURE:

Will I sail RCCL again? Most likely. It was truly a rewarding experience.

THE PAINT AT BAYONNE:

Luckily, whatever causes it, did not happen this week. My car was just as dirty as when I left it $75 before.

DEBARKATION:

What I expected:

A nightmare.

What I found:

A speedy departure. We were the fourth group called, and was in our car within 15 minutes, and home in a hour. A nice touch at the end of our trip.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Now to find my next destination......although my little one insists we do the FOS.

Very nice and very fair review..

I'm going on Explorer on 9/3 Bermuda and 10/20 Carib...I was on Voyager last year to Bermuda and your comments for the most part were on the money as far as RCI...

I liked the part about the cabin size and related to it when my sister and I sailed NCL Spirit in March (first time on NCL)...we had a BA on Deck 11 which we thought would be about the same as a D1 on Explorer...WRONG!!

We asked that the beds be separated but they may as well have left them together as there was about 2 inches between them. She also was "bruised" from bumping into things and we took turns sitting on the balcony when the other was trying to get ready for dinner. Don't know if I'd be waiting in line to sail NCL again...It was OK...I'll leave it at that..

Glad that your overall experience as first time RCI was positive...

As a Carnivalite, please tell me why I should try Carnival. I never have but I'm considering another cruise where I don't have to fly. Choices are limited from NJ/NY and I'm looking into Princess or Carnival for early '07.

We're Horseshoe Bay lovers too....might spend a bit more time in Hamilton this time.

Sounds like you had a great time....

Pam

Nice fair review.....I too have found the buffet on the first day to be of poorer quality than the subsequent days. I have cruised 4 people in a D1 and 4 people in a balcony cabin on CCL's Triumph and thought that there was more storage space for our clothes and stuff in the D1 on the explorer. I think RCL is pretty clever with making the most out of small spaces.. How would you rate RCL's service versus CCL????? My one and only CCL cruise the service was horrific...downright surly and that sent me running away from CCL. I have been tempted to give CCL another chance.

Thanks for the review Pete. Sounds like you enjoyed yourself. I keep telling folks that there is nothing like a Voyager class ship. They have to be seen and experienced. I agree about the Viking Crown Lounge. My favorite thing about the ships of RCI and of course the Royal Promenade.

I am glad that RCI changed the balconies on the Navigator and Mariner plus the Freedom class. More open. Bermuda is on my list to try.

Great review and thanks for posting. I'm so glad you enjoyed your first cruise with RC.

When I cruised RC the first time after being on several Carnival cruises, the room size was the biggest shock to me. Of course, we went from 185 sq ft to 119 sq ft on the Majesty. And it was 3 of us in one room. Somehow, we managed. ;)

I have to agree the first day buffet is often a bit of a disappointment, although I'm not sure why.

We'll be doing Bermuda Oct 1 and hope we have seas as smooth as glass too. :D

I just have to comment on your statement that you were surprised at how often the ice skaters fell. I'm an ice skater and a coach. I have skated on that teeny-tiny ice surface before, and it is HARD--especially when you don't have enough ice space to build up the speed that is normally needed to complete these elements. But I would much rather see a show where the skaters try to do difficult moves than a show where they make the routines so easy that no one ever messes up. Do you ever watch ice skating on tv? People are trying such difficult elements these days that even Olympic Champions fall during their programs!

Sorry, I didn't mean to jump down your throat, and I hope you don't take it that way, but I just had to stick up for the skaters because people just don't realize how hard this stuff is anyway, let alone doing it on an ice surface less than 1/6th the size of a normal rink on a moving ship!

MrPete, thank you for the really well balanced review. It's definitely nice to see someone put what their expectations were in their review - it really helps to evaluate what you are saying.

Now, I think you should complain to RCCL because they didn't clean your car for you while you were on your cruise.;)

As a Carnivalite, please tell me why I should try Carnival.

The fun, the rooms, the food, the availabilty of it, the shows (you do see some azz, but it's female:eek: ). But you will see more similarities to RCCL than not.

I hope to try every major line at least once. :)

I just have to comment on your statement that you were surprised at how often the ice skaters fell.

When we saw the ice show back in May- not one skater fell. I was amazed! Some of the things they were doing were down right dangerous (the girl being swung by her feet in circles with her head coming inches from the ice). I was very impressed.

The day after seeing the ice show my DH and I went to an open skate and waddled around the ice for a few minutes. The performers "work" the open skates- checking out the skates- and I had to laugh as they watched us make our way around the rink.

I hope to try every major line at least once. :)

Well that would only be fair. Then after that, some time will have probably passed so you'll probably need to try them all again - also in the interest of fairness.:D

Great review MrPete. I've been curious to see how you would compare the two lines. I have a couple of questions:

1. Do you think it will be closer to "sooner" or closer to "later" that you will cruise RCI again?

2. Did your DD participate in the Adventure Ocean program, and if so, how did she compare it to Camp Carnival?

Thanks.

Hey Mr Pete,

I am taking the Bermuda cruise in Sept. My last three cruises were on Carnival and Princess before that. Can't wait to see how they compare. I am so sure that I will like RCCL that I booked 2. I really liked how you broke down everything in your review. Loved the pictures you posted on a couple others threads.

Sue

Tim,

I find myself answering that it may be sooner than later, and although DD has never been to the camps on any line, we actually checked this one out, visiting with the counselers.

Thanks. We're taking our second cruise on Carnival in November (our 2 DDs first cruise) and then for the first time, get to experience a few on RCI next year. We're looking forward to experiencing both.

Tim, my kids have experienced Camp Carnival, Kids Crew (NCL) and Adventure Ocean and have liked them all. They always ask to go and they hate to leave. I think the lines (at least the ones we've tried) do a great job with the kids' programs. The counselors are all well-trained and have terrific personalities. Have fun on all your upcoming cruises! :)

Tim, my kids have experienced Camp Carnival, Kids Crew (NCL) and Adventure Ocean and have liked them all. They always ask to go and they hate to leave. I think the lines (at least the ones we've tried) do a great job with the kids' programs. The counselors are all well-trained and have terrific personalities. Have fun on all your upcoming cruises! :)

Thanks Shirley. We want to be equal opportunity cruisers (give them all equal opportunity to impress us as we try them all:D )!!!

Wow, that was so weird Mr Pete. Just asked you for a report on another thread. Are you reading my mind?!!!!!

Me too. Didn't you enjoy the food on the LEGEND better Mr. Pete? The buffet anyway. The balconies compared to the LEGEND

were:eek:! BUT the art work on EOS is unbelievable! People miss so much by taking the elevators all the time. Did you know that the floor in the dining room cost over $100,000.?!?! AND that mosaic wall-WOW! They could have spent alittle less on that and bought better couch beds though.

Archived