Deep Sea Fishing in Cozumen

shugzie

I will be cruising Oct 15 on the Miracle and wanting to go Deep Sea Fishing in Cozumel. Can anyone tell me what company to book this with? Either through Carnival or directly with a local operator?

Thanks!

We recommend Wahoo and Albatros - and have never had any negative feedback from any clients taking trips with either company. The price is for your group - private charter - not per person.

CozInsider Jacq

I will be cruising Oct 15 on the Miracle and wanting to go Deep Sea Fishing in Cozumel. Can anyone tell me what company to book this with? Either through Carnival or directly with a local operator?

Thanks!

I have fished with Wahoo Tours a few times. If you want to catch fish, they will put you on the fish, if you want to catch big game fish, they will do their best. I dont think big game season is open on that date, but I enjoy catching anything that takes me an hour or more to haul in.

http://www.wahootours.com/fish/index.php

Speak with Jim....

Good Luck:D

Oct. is very slow for deep sea fishing. We just came back and DH switched over to bottom fishing after no luck with the deepsea action....think about bottom fishing...you may see more action...Wahoo and Albatross are great outfits...also look at

Cozumel charters...we always fish on La Graan Cosa...great captain! I think you can also book him through Wahoo.

http://www.fishingcozumel.net/deep-sea-fishing.htm

Thanks for everyones advice. I have emailed wahoo to see if we can arrange something. There will be just the two of us on the cruise and would like to share this fishing trip with another couple. Can anyone tell me where to post this question of sharing a fishing trip here on the board?

Thanks,

Chon

I DO NOT recommend Wahoo. I've been with Wahoo, Albatross and Sand Dollar and my order of preference is ALbatros, SAnd Dollar, and I would skip fishing if Wahoo was my only option. The "rent-a-crew" was good, but dealing with the owner was a different story. With ALbatross and Sand Dollar, everything was as expected, no hidden charges, professional and great crews. We liked the crew and the services with Albatros better which is why they would be my first choice.

Now we had an interesting experience with Albatros. This was 7 or 8 years ago so I doubt it would apply today. We had an ok crew, although it was a temporary crew for just that day. They did not speak English. Fishing was slow but we did finally end up with a couple of good size mahi mahi. The interesting part was the crew forgot to fuel the boat that morning, and suddenly there was concern about getting back, they were doing dip sticks in the tanks etc and we idled all the way back taking a couple of hours fro a trip that should have taken 15-20 minutes. We were doing a land based trip so time wasn't critical, but if i were trying to make it back to a cruise ship i would have been getting pretty nervous.

On December 27, 2005, Damselfish posted on the Cruise Critic forum as follows:

good luck. i've heard the boat is not up to par with other fishing boats on the island though i've never seen it myself.

On March 27, 2006, Fishylips wrote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damselfish

good luck. i've heard the boat is not up to par with other fishing boats on the island though i've never seen it myself.

If you have never seen "it" you self, then maybe you shouldn't respond with 2nd hand info. While I wouldn't call myself a professional fisherman, I have a lot of experience fishing in Cozumel (9 years). I've fished in anything from a little panga boat to the top of the line charter boat. Expensive locators etc. do not empress me, catching fish is what it is about. I have fished with Wahoo tours several times, and can't say anything bad about them. Let them know what you expect and have fun. There are several good operators in Cozumel, but those who like to put down the competition will never get my $.

Today, September 7, 2006, Damselfish wrote:

I DO NOT recommend Wahoo. I've been with Wahoo, Albatross and Sand Dollar and my order of preference is ALbatros, SAnd Dollar, and I would skip fishing if Wahoo was my only option. The "rent-a-crew" was good, but dealing with the owner was a different story. With ALbatross and Sand Dollar, everything was as expected, no hidden charges, professional and great crews. We liked the crew and the services with Albatros better which is why they would be my first choice.

Now…

I would like to ask Damselfish, what date they fished with Wahoo Tours? What boat did they fish on and the name of the crew members if they can remember any of that. It had to have been within the last six months as previous post criticizing Wahoo the poster, Dameslfish admittedly had never even seen the boats.

I am one of the owners of Wahoo Tours and would also like to know what difficulty you had with either myself of my son? Maybe we can help straighten some of this confusion out.

I would like to point out that in this thread and all over the internet on bulletin boards, Wahoo enjoys great reviews. The company has to slip sometimes and fail our client, but we work very hard to see that does not happen.

Thanks for all the info. Unfortunately, we need to share a fishing trip and none of the companies seen to want to coordinate this. I have postings about sharing but don't feel I will be able to find someone on the post here or other boards. I have booked other type of trips outside of the cruise ships and they have all arranged shares before. We may have to do something else.

Thanks again

Thanks for all the info. Unfortunately, we need to share a fishing trip and none of the companies seen to want to coordinate this. I have postings about sharing but don't feel I will be able to find someone on the post here or other boards. I have booked other type of trips outside of the cruise ships and they have all arranged shares before. We may have to do something else.

Thanks again

I understand how difficult it can be. Problem is the fishing operators have only the same avenues as you to fill a share, i.e., these boards. You will have a shot at others you might meet on your cruise that may not have made arrangements. That's where the cruise tour desk has it over the operators, they have a captive audience, so to speak.

Good luck. If I hear of anything I will post it here for you right away.

Archived