Acapulco - hiring a taxi info PLEASE

offwego

We are going to be in Acapulco in less than 2 weeks (yea) and we are still trying to agree where to go! LOL

Since we will be there from 11 AM to 12:30 AM the next day, we will have a lot of time. I have read where a lot of people have hired taxis to take them around to their own schedule. Just how does that work? Do we may an agreement up front on the cost? What if we go back to the ship to eat how can we be sure they will come back?

And lastly, what place would be a have to see? Not real hot on the divers so we cold miss that :-) Oh it is two adults and our 16 year old son.

Thanks so much for any help!

Try this link. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=103695

I know it is pages and pages of info, but this is the best info you will find in one place on these boards about Acapulco. I think sometime last week there was an explanation about getting a cab. There are cab drivers up close to the ship area ( You will leave ship and walk through a shopping area inside a building and then outside. They will be there) Everyone will want to take you on a tour. There will also be cabs lined up along the street. These will be cheaper, but look at the post listed below because there is someting about the color of uniform the drivers wear that tells you which ones are the "approved" taxis. You will definitely want to agree on a price before you even get in the cab. This post below will also give you ideas of where you might want to go. There is also a reference to someone named Rosie and her husband who do tours. We haven't used them, but she has great reviews. I know there is a link to her contact info on one of the last pages in this post. Good luck and enjoy your trip. There is also a big Fort directly across the street from the ship that you can walk to and tour. I wouldn't want to go much further on my own though.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=103695

One place I think is a must is the Chapel on top of the hill at Las Brisas hotel. The view from there is magnificent. There are also several restaurants on the way to that hotel that offer a great view. I could name a few but is has been over 10 years since the last time I was there and things may have changed. Regarding getting a cab for the day, yes you can do this but as stated before, make sure you agree on the price before getting in the cab.

The other option is renting a vehicle. Unfortunately, if you are not familiar with Acapulco, then this is futile as this port is very big (over a million residents) and there are areas where you definitely do not want to wander. Getting a cab for a day or 1/2 a day is probably a wise move. You do not have to worry about insurance or spending time downtown at a police station if you get in a wreck. In Mexico (as with most countries with the exception of the US) you are considered guilty until proven innocent. Also, in Mexico, if you are involved in a wreck, the one that hits the other vehicle (regardless of circumstances) is usually at fault.

Here's some information about drivers with vans/cars in Acapulco:

Bi-lingual Drivers with Vehicles in Acapulco

Ismael Silva

Cellular telephone in Acapulco : 044-744-101-3550

Calling from the USA : 011-515-744-101-3550

email: ismael_silva1772@yahoo.com

Hector

email: angel_herrera77@hotmail.com

Larry, Jr.(Hilario Silva)

email: aca_larry@hotmail.com

Edel Genchi

Email: edel_genchi@yahoo.com

Rosie

email: dew_days@hotmail.com

Arturo

email: artpros@prodigy.net.mx

[note: Rosie and Arturo are wife and husband]

Jimmy

email: jdrbso119@hotmail.com

Pepe Pipa

Acapulco telephone: (744) 457-4901

Cesar

email: c_olea_santos@yahoo.com

Estaban

email: eskp_rsh@hotmail.com

Benjamin Alcaron

email: benjamin_alcaron@hotmail.com

Roman F. Zarate

Cellular telephone in Acapulco: 044-744-439-7176

From U.S.A. 011-52- 744- 439 -7176

www.acaguide.com.mx

NOTE: Be patient when emailing these drivers, it make a day or two, or several for them to respond to you.

Some of the other drivers have autos and not vans. Email Pepe Pipa and Hector to see what they say . . . or the other drivers listed. Rosie and her husband, Arturo, specialize in larger groups . . . from what I read in their reviews.

About websites: these drivers are independent contractors working for themselves. The prevelence of the internet and www in the home is far less in Acapulco than in the cities/towns most of us live in in the USA, Canada, etc. The drivers, for the most part, probably can't afford to have something like that developed.

• 4 months later...
Some of the other drivers have autos and not vans. Email Pepe Pipa and Hector to see what they say . . . or the other drivers listed. Rosie and her husband, Arturo, specialize in larger groups . . . from what I read in their reviews.

About websites: these drivers are independent contractors working for themselves. The prevelence of the internet and www in the home is far less in Acapulco than in the cities/towns most of us live in in the USA, Canada, etc. The drivers, for the most part, probably can't afford to have something like that developed.

I emailed Hector and he was prompt and accomodating...any comments about him ...thanks

Here are some suggestions:

Bi-lingual Drivers with Vehicles

Jose Carlos J.R.

Cellular telephone in Acapulco: 044 744 153 9572

Pink Ladies

aca_pink_ladies_group@hotmail.com

Ismael Silva

Hector

Larry, Jr. (Hilario Silva)

Edel Genchi

Rosie

Arturo

Jimmy

Pepe Pipa (formal name is Jose Luis Peralta)

Acapulco (cell) telephone from U.S.: 011 52 (744) 133-5283

In Acapulco (cell): 044 (744) 133-5283

Cesar

Estaban

Benjamin Alcaron

Roberto Alarcon (brother of Benjamin)

email: robertoalrey@yahoo.com.mx

from USA: 011-521-744-421-96-08

from ACA: 044-744 -421-96-08

Roman F. Zarate (American tour guide)

044-744-151-1653

From U.S.A. 011-52-1- 744- 406-0693

Home:406-0693

roman@acaguide.com.mx

www.acaguide.com.mx

Arturo Solis and Family

Telephone in Acapulco (from the USA): 011-52-744-485-2367

Cellular telephone in Acapulco: 044-744-449-4790

email: zx3_14@hotmail.com

Oscar Andres Gomex Perez

margo_gope@hotmail.com

margoorganizacion@prodigy.net.mx

telephone: (744) 4 663715.

cellular phone: 044 7141 853531.

web: margoacapulcoadventure.net.mx

nextel : 62*15*53705.

NOTE: Be patient when emailing these drivers, it make a day or two, or several for them to respond to you.

Just got back from Riviera. We took a tour in Acapulco with Rosie (we had emailed her to make a reservation prior to cruising). This was the best $30pp we spent the whole cruise! Rosie took 10 of us in her van (AC and cold drinks included) and hit all the highlights of Acapulco. We saw views from the Casa Blanca Hotel, went by the cliff divers but missed the first show (ship was late), went back later for the evening show (awesome!), drove through old, downtown, and Acapulco of the future, stopped to shop twice, ate a meal at VIPS (owned by Walmart, but food was good), visited Los Flamingos Hotel (the hideaway where Johnny Weismuller and gang hung out), and went to the chapel of Peace on the hill. The best stop was at Rosie's family's "plantation" - her mom and dad's home, complete with bananas growing in the backyard. We were with Rosie about 7 hours total and it was great. I wouldn't recommend anyone not familiar with the area attempting to drive there...Rosie's rule: "if someone is bigger than me, I stop!" The city is huge and very crowded, and the streets are old and narrow. Scary!

I think we got a better tour than those available through the ship and it cost way less! Thanks, Rosie!

Diane and Gene

Here are some suggestions:

Bi-lingual Drivers with Vehicles

Jose Carlos J.R.

Cellular telephone in Acapulco: 044 744 153 9572

Pink Ladies

aca_pink_ladies_group@hotmail.com

Ismael Silva

Hector

Larry, Jr. (Hilario Silva)

Edel Genchi

Rosie

Arturo

Jimmy

Pepe Pipa (formal name is Jose Luis Peralta)

Acapulco (cell) telephone from U.S.: 011 52 (744) 133-5283

In Acapulco (cell): 044 (744) 133-5283

Cesar

Estaban

Benjamin Alcaron

Roberto Alarcon (brother of Benjamin)

email: robertoalrey@yahoo.com.mx

from USA: 011-521-744-421-96-08

from ACA: 044-744 -421-96-08

Roman F. Zarate (American tour guide)

044-744-151-1653

From U.S.A. 011-52-1- 744- 406-0693

Home:406-0693

roman@acaguide.com.mx

www.acaguide.com.mx

Arturo Solis and Family

Telephone in Acapulco (from the USA): 011-52-744-485-2367

Cellular telephone in Acapulco: 044-744-449-4790

email: zx3_14@hotmail.com

Oscar Andres Gomex Perez

margo_gope@hotmail.com

margoorganizacion@prodigy.net.mx

telephone: (744) 4 663715.

cellular phone: 044 7141 853531.

web: margoacapulcoadventure.net.mx

nextel : 62*15*53705.

Thanks for the above information. I have been trying to secure a guide for the day, and I have contacted some of the above names. I was wondering if you (or anyone else reading) has any personal experience with the above names. Aside from Rosie and Arturo, I haven't seen any specifics.

Specifically, Roberto Alarcon was the first person to respond, and he is trying to arrange a driver named Joe for the day. Finally, we have a group of five (4 adults, 1 toddler) --- I have seen $30/person elsewhere, so would this be a good benchmark for daily charges?

Thanks again for all the help!

BL

Hi All,

I have a group of 8 adults and 2 children that will be in this city on March 26th. We have contacted Rosie but I fear she is already booked. I would love to hear any personal experiences with the other guides provided above. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

B&B

Update: I have heard back from several of the above, and I think that I have narrowed things down to Roberto Alarcon (driver's name is Joe) and Ismael Silva (or his brother, Fernando).

gomexico, I understand that people are cautioned against posting opinions on specific guides, so please contact me directly (sacleonard1@mac.com) if you would have any preference between these two guides. We leave next week, so we are trying to make a final decision by tomorrow night. Thanks!

BL

The list of drivers I posted was compiled (originally by me), in large part, from personal recommendations of visitors who'd used their services. Those reviews have appeared, primarily, on the tripadvisor.com website - the Acapulco Forum. I have not used any of the drivers. However, each of the drivers listed has been positively reviewed multiple times over the course of the past couple of years and I feel comfortable passing along the information. I've heard nothing about any one of these people that would cause me to warn you off using them. It's not uncommon for one of the drivers to work with another and to refer business to another person (when the first choice is busy), and I don't think you need worry about that. The drivers mostly earn their money because of recommendations and repeat business and I think it's unlikely they'd match you with someone who could not satisfy your needs.

The list of drivers I posted was compiled (originally by me), in large part, from personal recommendations of visitors who'd used their services. Those reviews have appeared, primarily, on the tripadvisor.com website - the Acapulco Forum. I have not used any of the drivers. However, each of the drivers listed has been positively reviewed multiple times over the course of the past couple of years and I feel comfortable passing along the information. I've heard nothing about any one of these people that would cause me to warn you off using them. It's not uncommon for one of the drivers to work with another and to refer business to another person (when the first choice is busy), and I don't think you need worry about that. The drivers mostly earn their money because of recommendations and repeat business and I think it's unlikely they'd match you with someone who could not satisfy your needs.

Thank you very much for the explanation (and the quick response).

BL

Archived