Rio here I come!!

alita

A red letter day, I just returned home from 'breakfast at Tiffany's' (new branch opening in Tucson) and I find not only my Sea Dream Yacht Club portfolio with travel documents for Barcelona-Seville SeaDream2 and Tenerife-Rio SeaDream1 but also my passport with a 5 year multiple entries Brazilian Visa awaiting me! I am one happy camper, will now get serious about packing.

I know that Mariner will be on the Tenerife-Rio sailing but is there anyone else out there doing the Barcelona-Seville trip???

alita

Alita,

You've got quite a trip planned. I'm jealous. We'll be on SD2 for the Tenerife-San Juan crossing that departs Tenerife the day after SD1 leaves for South America. Incidentally, our cruise documents arrived today also.

We have a number of good friends among the crew who will be on SD1 for that crossing and know that you'll be in very capable hands for that journey.

Have a great trip and we'd welcome a report from you on the Barcelona-Seville voyage on SD2.

We need a VISA for Brazil, right? Is yellow fever vaccine required? Sailing January 7 form Rio.

Yes, a visa is required for Brazil. I haven't heard that yellow fever vaccine is required. We're on the Jan. 25 Rio-BA sailing so please let me know if you learn otherwise. Thanks.

alita, looking forward to meeting you on Tenerife to Rio section.

ctbjr1309 and emckeeve - If you have a travel clinic in your area, they should be able to provide you with information regarding the Yellow Fever vaccination. The CDC site is also a good resource. The Brazil embassy sites include the current entry requirements for individuals who must have had the shot.

For us, even though it was not mandatory to enter Brazil, it was recommended by our travel clinic to protect not only us (as we are travelling through an endemic area) but also to ensure that, if by some small chance we became infected, we would not spread the disease.

Greetings sea dreamers... I'm madly trying to get my act together so that I can make my 6 AM flight Saturday morning... so hard to know about clothes but I am determined to keep luggage to a minimum so will be making lots of use of the laundry and dry cleaning facilities.

Can't decide whether or not to take my laptop... if I left it at home what could I expect from the ship's internet set-up? Do they charge only for internet time or is the meter ticking over if I'm writing a document offline? I really do want to keep up a journal but quite honestly hate packing my powerbook with me. Ideas?

ctbjr, I will certainly post reports about the Barcelona-Seville cruise... and would ask in return that you pass along the names of two or three special staff members on Sea DreamI so that I won't feel like a total stranger when I board.

Mariners, look forward to meeting you onboard, won't be long now... this time next week I'll be sitting in an outdoor cafe in Barcelona quaffing cava!

alita

Can't decide whether or not to take my laptop... if I left it at home what could I expect from the ship's internet set-up? Do they charge only for internet time or is the meter ticking over if I'm writing a document offline? I really do want to keep up a journal but quite honestly hate packing my powerbook with me. Ideas?

ctbjr, I will certainly post reports about the Barcelona-Seville cruise... and would ask in return that you pass along the names of two or three special staff members on Sea DreamI so that I won't feel like a total stranger when I board.alita

The ship has 2 public computer terminals in the library on Deck 4. Usually, there is no wait. The meter does not tick when writing a document off line. Hope that helps.

We'll look forward to your reports from SD2 curing the Barcelona-Seville cruise. You'll be on the first cruise after the ship is in drydock. Lucky you! We'll be onboard a week after you disembark.

As for special crew members on SD1, there are too many to name them all but I'll mention a few to look for. I know that Tomasz will be onboard for the crossing. He'll either be Maitre 'd or Hotel Manager. Richard Jones will be the Club and Activities Director. Captain Smorwasky will be in charge. Jose and Teddy are waiters who have been with SD for a long time and are likely to be onboard. When we were onboard SD1 in July, Konrad was bartender at the Top of the Yacht. All of the above are among the 100 wonderful crew members you'll meet during your voyage. They're all great. I know you'll feel at home right away.

Thanks, ctbjr, I had no idea that Sea Dream2 would be just out of drydock... any special enhancements planned or is this one of the regularly scheduled 'tuneups'?

Re: Sea Dream I... I'll feel right at home now knowing all the personnel names, will just have to match them up with faces. What a great adventure this southern crossing will be, I've never been on anything like it, keep dreaming of Bali beds under the stars!

Thanks, ctbjr, I had no idea that Sea Dream2 would be just out of drydock... any special enhancements planned or is this one of the regularly scheduled 'tuneups'?

I don't believe that major or structural changes are planned for SD2 in drydock this visit. The last I heard was that the changes would be cosmetic in nature but that's only based on hearsay and innuendo so please don't quote me on that!!!

emckeeve... I think that was mariners who posted the yellow fever info. As I won't be coming from a country on their yellow fever list I'm not getting the shot this time. But interestingly Silverseas insists on it even though Brazil doesn't... I'm sailing on the Wind out of Rio in February and they won't let me on the ship w/o the certificate.

Archived