Copy of Ricks Halifax thread from old board

Rick posted this long ago on the old Boards. I have copied the posts from 2004 to this board. Hope this works and doesn't break any rules. (Oops...couldn't post it all; will break it up into smaller pieces.) The info was just too good to pass up. Rick, hope you will keep posting here.

From Rick in Halifax:

If anyone has any questions regarding Halifax, I'd be more than happy to try and answer them.

Maasdam 01/05/03

posted 02-08-04 11:57 AM

It will soon be cruise time here in Halifax so I'm just going to give this thread a bump.

Rick1965

Maasdam 01/05/03

Posts: 113 | From: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: 01-12-02

SEA_LADY

Cool Cruiser

posted 02-17-04 01:25 PM

Hi Rick, I have a strange question...My husband and I were in Halifax last August (on a cruise) and we fell in love with it...There is a small island in the Harbour where our ship docked, it had (if I recall correctly) a lighthouse and a small home on it...do you know anything about this island? Is it privetly owned or do they have tours or what?? I keep telling my Husband THAT'S where I want to live, On that Island...so I would love to find out more about it.

Thanks

Disney Magic '98

Grand Princess '00

Majesty of the Sea '01

Carnival Victory '03

Grand Princess '04

Host Caroline

Administrator

posted 02-17-04 09:10 PM

I think this is Snake Island??? One of the islands in the harbor is known by that name. I know which island you're talking about with the lighthouse... Terrified of snakes but other than "that" island, I agree.. what a beautiful place to live

Join me for Cruise Critic's "Alaska Live in 2005" Adventure!

Days Till Royal Hounds on Mariner of the Seas...

Days till Miracle Partae Pirates Cruise from Tampa...

One can never have too many days at sea...

tiger1938cb

Cool Cruiser

posted 02-18-04 05:26 AM

The island near the Halifax Cruise Dock is George's Island. It is a National Historic Site

and is currently undergoing a major restoration

so that it can be opened for public touring. I am not sure when it will be ready.

George's Island is part of Halifax's Harbour Defences network from a bygone era. The island has the remnants of fortifications on it. What you thought might be a small home, I can only speculate that it may be a temporary fixture, or it may be part of the restoration (possibly a lightkeeper's house from the days when lights were manned).

As for Snake Island, I am unaware that we have one. The harbour islands in the Cruise Dock area are George's Island, MacNab's Island, Lawlor"s Island, and Devil's Island.

tiger1938cb

Posts: 78 | From: Halifax-Nova Scotia- Canada | Registered: 01-13-02

SEA_LADY

Cool Cruiser

posted 02-18-04 01:10 PM

Thanks for the info...I'm going to try to find Geroge's Island on the internet and see If I can find a tour. However, if it turns out to be "snake island" I'm NOT GOING NEAR IT!!!LOL

Disney Magic '98

Grand Princess '00

Majesty of the Sea '01

Carnival Victory '03

Grand Princess '04

marcyjane

Cool Cruiser

posted 02-18-04 08:51 PM

Rick,

This is wonderful of you to do this for the cruise critic message board

We will be in Halifax in September 2004. We have been searching the web trying to decide what to do.

Don't like to be rushed on tours so was trying to find a private cab or taxi tour.

We have found three searching the web. One was Bob's and one was Aberdeen's and the other one was called "your cab tour ca."

All three have different price from $110.00 for a Halifax City Tour/Peggy's Cove combined to $300.00

Was wondering if you had heard of any of these taxi/cab/limo companies and if so which ones.

Also trying to find the peggy's Cover ship tour cost vs a taxi/limo tour. We really don't like the big bus tours.

One other question, can we use US travelers check there and if they give us change in Canadian money do we just go to the bank when we get home and exchange it or what?

Thanks in advance for info you can give us.

Sherry

Carnival Fantasy 1993

Carnvial Sensation 2003

***So Glad To Be Back Cruise Again

Carnival Victory New York to Canada

Posts: 468 | From: Middle, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 01-10-03

Host Caroline

Administrator

posted 02-18-04 10:17 PM

We took a harbor cruise last year with the company that has the "riverboat" style vessel and the guide said that one of the islands (neither of us can remember which one) was called "snake island" because it was infested with garter snakes!! It wasn't a stop on the tour..wonder what he was talking about?????

Join me for Cruise Critic's "Alaska Live in 2005" Adventure!

Days Till Royal Hounds on Mariner of the Seas...

Days till Miracle Partae Pirates Cruise from Tampa...

One can never have too many days at sea...

tiger1938cb

Cool Cruiser

posted 02-19-04 04:33 AM

Host Caroline

"Mystery" solved by Rick1965 (my son). "Snake Island" is a nickname for George"s Island. The link below will explain why. (The snakes are harmless).

http://museum.gov.ns.ca/mnh/nature/snakes/melanist.htm

tiger1938cb

SEA_LADY

Cool Cruiser

posted 02-19-04 01:14 PM

Yuck!! Nevermind I don't do snakes...even the harmless cute ones! I'll just enjoy the island from Boardwalk or the ship! Can't wait We'll be back the end of September.

Disney Magic '98

Grand Princess '00

Majesty of the Sea '01

Carnival Victory '03

Grand Princess '04

jaspora

Cool Cruiser

posted 02-26-04 09:26 PM

Two things that cruisers should be aware of regarding the Harbor Hopper...

~It is actually a former army tank that they stopped using due to environmental concerns

~It is awfully dangerous to other vehicles and pedestrians

...oh yeah, and a lot of the local residents resent it terribly.

May I suggest, as a part-time Hali resident, that you just get some info from the tourist information center, and go for a nice stroll. That way you get to interact with the natives, who happen to be some of the nicest and friendliest people you may ever meet!

bobcan

Cool Cruiser

posted 02-29-04 12:02 PM

Marcyjane

Taxis are available just outside the cruise terminal in Halifax. Prices are posted and all drivers are certified by Tourism Association of Nova Scotia. Would suggest you use credit card to pay for your tour(just make sure driver takes them before you go), since you will get a better rate of exchange for your US dollar.

Hope this is helpful

bob

Posts: 84 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: 09-18-01

Rick1965

Cool Cruiser

posted 03-14-04 08:53 AM

just a bump.....

Maasdam 01/05/03

bobbie0253

Cool Cruiser

posted 04-06-04 04:08 PM

Hello Rick....

Glad to have an expert for this area on the boards I must admit I haven't read all three pages of this post, so sorry if I am repeating a question...

How is the weather in Mid May? Also what would you suggest for us to do while in port?

We are a young active couple who prefers to do anything other than a ship excursion (too many people and too much money). We love exploring and doing anything that is an adventure.

Are there any bars or pubs worth stopping at? We booked this cruise today and have about a month to plan.

Thanks sooo much for taking the time to post on the boards!

Bobbie

Voyager of the Seas in....

Adventure of the Seas 2-03

Enchantment of the Seas 3-03

Majesty of the Seas 5-03

Adventure of the Seas 9-03

Sovereign of the Seas 11-03

Sovereign of the Seas 1-04

Grandeur of the Seas 3-04

My albums can be viewed with this link...

http://public.fotki.com/bobbie0253/

Rick1965

Cool Cruiser

posted 04-07-04 09:06 PM

bobbie0253, The temperature mid May could be anywhere from 15C (59f) to 4c (40f). If its a sunny day it could get warmer.

As for things to do, you could spend a whole day just on the water front alone. There are alot of nice little shops and places to eat, and yes there are some good pubs in the area.I'll give you a link for some more info.

http://www.where.ca/halifax/index.cfm

http://www.murphysonthewater.com/

There's a good brewery tour you can take it's only about half an hour to an hour but alot of fun.

http://www.keiths.ca/index2.html

This should give you a good start on Halifax, if you have any more questions please feel free to ask.

Rick1965

Maasdam 01/05/03

marcyjane

Cool Cruiser

posted 04-08-04 11:58 PM

Going from New York to Canada in Sept 25, 2004.

Do we shop with US cash for small items or try to get Canada $ before we leave. Also not sure we understand the credit card exchange rate if we use our credit cards. I thought I saw somewhere that it was 35%. so if you spend a $100.00 are you all saying that $135.00 charge will appear on your credit card?

Victory Cruise New York to Halifax

Carnvial Sensation 2003

Carnival Fantasy 1993

Here is more:

tiger1938cb

Cool Cruiser

posted 04-10-04 06:29 AM

marcyjane:

Rick1965 asked me if I would reply to your request, so here goes. American money is accepted in the shops here, but your change will likely be in Canadian money. If the exchange rate is $1.35, a shop may only give you a $1.31 value for your U. S. dollar as the Cdn. banks charge us 4 cents per dollar when we deposit American money. When we want to buy some to travel in your country they charge us the full exchange rate. Neat way to make bank profits, wouldn't you say?

At an exchange rate of 35%, as you put it, your dollar is worth a $1.35 except as mentioned above. So, for ease of explanation, $100 U.S. will buy $135 worth of Canadian goods.

As for your credit card question, at the above rate a $100.00 Cdn. dollar purchase would show up on your credit card as a $74.07($100 divided by $1.35:not precise, but close) charge plus whatever taxes are on the item purchased. These taxes are recoverable by U. S. citizens if you want to do the Cdn. paperwork involved. The Tourist Information Kiosk in the Cruise Terminal can probably help you with info on this.

Here is a link from which you can get updated exchange rates as your cruise date get closer:

http://www.xe.com/ucc/

I hope that this has been of some help to you.

Also, an early welcome to our fair city and I hope that you enjoy your visit.

tiger1938cb

marcyjane

Cool Cruiser

posted 04-10-04 10:44 AM

Tiger,

First off thanks for your answer and help.

Ok, from what I read and this old baby boomers mind is that, credit card purchases will be fine and probably if I just use US cash, then I'll try and purchase item that will total close to for example: if I shop close to the pier at the shops there I'll try to make my US dollars purchase close to what I'm spending. Like if I see something that $22.00 then I'll pick up something else to make it closer to $25.00, then with what little change I get back, it's not going to make that much difference for me coming back to US with a little Canada change if I'm understanding your explaination.

Also from what your saying, the shop will and don't mind that we use US dollars.

Thanks again and that's for your welcome to your city and I have read so much about it that I can't wait to visit. It seems so pretty and peaceful there.

Carnvial Sensation 2003

Carnival Fantasy 1993

me@sea

Cool Cruiser

posted 04-11-04 06:53 PM

Is the Fun with Fred bus going to be running this year? It was fabulous when I was in Halifax in 2002! A few bus that goes around Halifax with bus drivers that are more than willing to help you with your sightseeing questions.

Lisa

Rick1965

Cool Cruiser

posted 04-13-04 09:29 PM

me@sea, I called the city this morning and Fred will be running again this year.

Service starts in June.

http://www.region.halifax.ns.ca/metrotransit/fred/fred_info.html

Please note the dates on the web page are old.

Rick1965

Maasdam 01/05/03

me@sea

Cool Cruiser

posted 04-13-04 11:25 PM

Thanks Rick for checking

granghee

Cool Cruiser

posted 04-18-04 02:24 PM

Hi Rick,

Bet you thought this thread would die. No! I have been reading it and it is so informative. We came there on an October 22 sailing on Brilliance of the Seas and it was so cold, that only hubby got off. We are both over 60 (ha ha), and would like to do something very easy and at a leisurely pace. Would the boardwalk be enough, along with perhaps the Harbor Hopper, or should we do the Brewery perhaps. We love it ON the ship as well, and this year it is Sept. 18 sailing, and on the new Jewel of the Seas. Thanks, just wanted you to know what a great thread of info you have too. Carrie and Bo from Texas

Rick1965

Cool Cruiser

posted 04-19-04 04:26 PM

granghee, thank you for your kind words. When I started this thread I had no idea it would take off like it did.

Since you guys are still young, I would suggest the boardwalk, the Harbor Hopper and since the brewery is right across the street and the tour is a short one, I say do them all!

It will give a good feel for our city.

I checked the cruise schedule and you should have lots of time.

Rick1965

ps. Sept. should be warmer for you.

Maasdam 01/05/03

dondiane

Cool Cruiser

posted 04-19-04 09:56 PM

Rick, could you tell me what kind of weather to expect on our mid July cruise to Halifax, St John? thanks

Rick1965

Cool Cruiser

posted 04-21-04 06:29 AM

dondiane,in Halifax you should have some good weather. Average temp. in mid July is 18c(65f)to 22c(72f).It will feel alot warmer downtown.

Here's a link you might find useful

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/stats/north_america.htm

Rick1965

Maasdam 01/05/03

cgc33a

Cool Cruiser

posted 04-23-04 02:58 PM

any ideas for children ages 3 & 9? The 9 year old would like to go fishing, but I am not sure if thatis possible. What else would interst them?

Thanks,

CC

granghee

Cool Cruiser

posted 04-25-04 06:53 PM

Hi Rick,

Was Moosehead Brewery one of your recommendations?? I don't remember now. Guess I need to Google Halifax, huh? Thanks for all the previous info....

Carrie and Bo

Rick1965

Cool Cruiser

posted 04-25-04 08:10 PM

granghee,Not the moosehead brewery (although I heard its good), I was talking about the keiths brewery tour.

http://www.keiths.ca/brewery.html

Try this one.

Rick1965

Maasdam 01/05/03

Rick1965

Cool Cruiser

posted 04-25-04 08:13 PM

cgc33a, I'm still working on your question.

Maasdam 01/05/03

cgc33a

Cool Cruiser

posted 04-26-04 12:36 AM

Thanks Rick1965. Do you know the difference between the 2 double decker bus tour companies & their "product" (Atlantic Tours and Doubledecker?). seems like there is a price difference but I think 1 web site hasn't been kept up to date. Might be an easy way to get around to a few of the sights. My son would love to go fishing in a place know for it, but I don't think that is going to be an option unless there was a big "party boat", but I haven't seen any on my internet searches (lots of charters though. I am open to other ideas.

And more:

PaulaW

Cool Cruiser

posted 04-26-04 02:23 PM

Rick1965,

Thank you so much for all of your helpful posts. My family will be visiting Halifax in May on the Voyager of the Seas' inaugural visit to Nova Scotia. I was disappointed to see that the "FRED" bus will not be operating yet. Do you have any other suggestions for getting around town? Is it possible to walk and see some of the downtown sites?

Thanks again for your help.

Paula W

Voyager of the Seas 5/04

Adventure of the Seas 11/04

Voyager of the Seas 5/04

Celebrity Summit 8/03

Enchantment of the Seas 6/03

Voyager of the Seas 10/02

Celebrity Zenith 11/01

Majesty of the Seas 11/98

NCL Windward (B4 stretch) 8/93

Premier Oceanic 4/88

Posts: 178 | From: Orchard Park, NY USA | Registered: 03-27-02

Rick1965

Cool Cruiser

posted 04-27-04 08:23 AM

cgc33a, after some looking around here are a few links which may help

http://www.doubledeckertours.com/departure.html

http://www.atlantictours.com/tour_81.cfm

The 2 buses appear to very similiar(I think it may be the same company running both. Why the price difference, I really couldn't tell you.)

As for the fisherman in your family there are some options depending on which cruise ship your on, as some offer a fishing tour just off the mouth of the harbour.

As always you could spend the whole day on the boardway and not see everything, I've lived here for almost 40 years and still find new things to see each year.

Hope this helps.

Rick1965

Maasdam 01/05/03

[This message was edited by Rick1965 on 04-27-04 at 08:31 AM.]

Rick1965

Cool Cruiser

posted 04-27-04 08:29 AM

PaulaW, There is the doubledecker bus which you can hop on and off of which will take you around the downtown area.( see the post above for a link).

Or you can quite easily walk around (mind you we have some very steep hills in the down town area).

Check out those links in the post above and please feel free to ask about anything,I'll do my best to find you an answer.

And let me be the first to welcome you to our city.

Rick1965

Maasdam 01/05/03

joandbun

Cool Cruiser

posted 04-27-04 12:29 PM

hi Rick, fountain of all knowledge...

We`re in Halifax for the day end of Sept and

We`re interestd in seeing some whales and Ive looked at Murphys and it seems fine.

Do you know if they are close to where the ship docks, do they pick you up or is it walkable?

Is it the best tour??

Or should we be looking at trying todo something out of Sydney? Stopping there too.

The other thing is - we`d like to have a look round your city - it sounds great & also hopefully meet up with a lcoal family we`ve got to know over the internet & never met before.

Lots to do but what to do eh?

Any advise would be wlecome

Thanks very much

jo

Rick1965

Cool Cruiser

posted 04-27-04 04:31 PM

joandbun, Murphy's is very good company,I'd say that they are as good or better than most.

They are located a short walk from the cruise dock.(about 15 minutes or less)

http://www.halifaxinfo.com/WaterfrontHRMt.pdf?PHPSESSID=5a8ec9296713a550f402c2bd33042347

Murphys is located at the Queens wharf area and the cruise dock is marked by 41 on the right side of the map. The dotted line is the boardwalk.

Rick1965

Maasdam 01/05/03

joandbun

Cool Cruiser

posted 04-28-04 08:41 AM

Many thanks, Rick

jo

joandbun

Cool Cruiser

posted 04-28-04 10:06 AM

Hi Rick, Me again.

Do you know the price (if any) of the Keith Brewery Tour?

Cant see any charge mentioned on their web-site.

could be me just being stupid

thks

jo

tiger1938cb

Cool Cruiser

posted 04-29-04 01:58 PM

joandbun:

Rick asked me if I would look after your question on the Keith's Brewery Tour. Once I got through their automated telephone system, today, to an actual person-a very pleasant young lady gave me the information below.

Price(s) for this season's tours are: for adults, $9.95(Cdn) plus the 15% Provincial Harmonized Sales Tax, per person. That would make the total $11.44pp. For children, the tour is $6,00 plus $0.90 HST for a total of $6.90 per child. If you are over 65 years of age(a senior),the price is $7.00 plus $1.05 in tax for $8.05pp.

Rick has been on the tour and says he found it fun. I have not been on it yet but my wife and I hope to take it this Summer. The Brewery is an easy walk from the Cruise Dock.

May I offer you a traditional(and early) Nova Scotia welcome, 'Ciad Mile Failte,' which is Scottish Gaelic for "One Hundred Thousand Welcomes." I hope you enjoy your visit here, and that you will want to return.

tiger1938cb(also Rick's Dad)

joandbun

Cool Cruiser

posted 04-30-04 07:45 AM

Rick`s DAd,

Thank you so much for going to all this trouble.

Its really helpful.

Really looking forward to this trip..

regards,

jo

Again:

posted 04-30-04 07:24 PM

Rick,

Thanks for your response. We are planning to go to Peggy's Cove in the morning, but perhaps the "doubledecker" bus will be a nice option for the afternoon. I would like the chance to poke around the downtown area and do some shopping. Thank you very much for the link and for your warm welcome. We look forward to visiting your beautiful city!

Paula W

Voyager of the Seas 5/04

Voyager of the Seas 5/04

Celebrity Summit 8/03

Enchantment of the Seas 6/03

Voyager of the Seas 10/02

Celebrity Zenith 11/01

Majesty of the Seas 11/98

NCL Windward (B4 stretch) 8/93

Premier Oceanic 4/88

Posts: 178 | From: Orchard Park, NY USA | Registered: 03-27-02

Jud64

Cool Cruiser

posted 05-11-04 12:44 PM

We will be in Halifax in October. I am interested in visiting the Titanic graves. Can you tell me where I could find them & if there is a way to locate certain graves? Are there & tours that include this stop? Thank you!

Jewel of the Sea, Oct. 18, 2004

dondiane

Cool Cruiser

posted 05-11-04 06:21 PM

will be in Halifax in July. Is Peggy's Cove Whale and Puffin tours easily accessible from the cruise port??? Do they offer pick up at the ships for people booking private(vs. ship tours) through them??? Are there always "whale sightings" or is it hit and mostly miss tours??

Rick1965

Cool Cruiser

posted 05-12-04 08:13 PM

Jud64 and dondiane, give me a few days and I'll get your answers.Sorry for the delay but work seems to get in the way.Should have something for you Friday.

Rick1965

Maasdam 01/05/03

Rick1965

Cool Cruiser

posted 05-14-04 09:32 AM

Jud64, depending on which cruise line you are on, they may have a Titanic tour. I know RCI offers one. Here are a couple of links which may be useful.

http://my.execpc.com/~reva/fv2.htm

http://my.execpc.com/~reva/mto.htm

If your cruise line doesn't offer this tour you could just grab a cab at the dock and they'll be glad to take you there.

Hope this helps

Rick1965

Maasdam 01/05/03

Rick1965

Cool Cruiser

posted 05-14-04 09:37 AM

dondiane, I'm not sure if they will pick you up at the cruise dock for a private tour. The best I can offer you is this link.

http://www.peggyscovewatertours.com/contact.htm

Your best bet is to contact them directly. Peggy's cove is roughly 30 miles from the cruise dock.

Rick1965

Maasdam 01/05/03

Jud64

Cool Cruiser

posted 05-15-04 12:57 PM

Rick, thank you so much for the info on the Titanic graves! We are on the RCI so maybe we can get a tour. We are a little concerned about

how cold it will be in Oct., but looking forward to seeing your country, no matter what the weather is.

Jewel of the Sea, Oct. 18, 2004

Lisa63

Cool Cruiser

posted 05-15-04 01:30 PM

Rick and Tiger, thank you so much for the wonderful information you have shared. We will be returning to Halifax this summer -- it will be our third time. We've been to Peggy's Cove, Citadel, Maritime Museum of the Atlantic, and enjoyed just walking around the area near the pier.

We're always looking for new things to do -- so thank you for the link to the brewery tour. As far as the botanical gardens -- how long a walk would that be from Pier 21?

Many thanks.

Lisa63

Looking forward to Maasdam Canada/New England 2004

Posts: 464 | From: Coastal New England | Registered: 10-21-00

Rick1965

Cool Cruiser

posted 05-16-04 07:30 AM

Lisa63, The gardens would be a 40-60 minute walk from the pier.

http://www.where.ca/halifax/

Here's a link you may find useful.

Rick1965

Maasdam 01/05/03

marcyjane

Cool Cruiser

posted 05-16-04 10:56 AM

Rick,

Can you tell me about Aberdeen Tours (company)???

I have been talking with them about a tour with them to Peggy's Cove and then when back to the city a quick highlights tour of the city.

I know that our cruise is a little over 4mos away, but need to decide and book.

I've also looked at "Bob's" but Aberdeen's is some what less expensive.

Thanks for you time and trouble.

Victory New York to Canada 09/25/2004 Cruise

Carnvial Sensation 2003

Carnival Fantasy 1993

Rick1965

Cool Cruiser

posted 05-16-04 11:39 AM

marcyjane,I haven't heard anything bad about them. The difference between your two choices is van over a car. Bob is running a car tour, Aberdeen appears to be running 14 passenger vans.

Sorry I can't be more helpful on this one.

Rick1965

Maasdam 01/05/03

marcyjane

Cool Cruiser

posted 05-16-04 03:20 PM

Rick,

Thanks, Just wanted to know your thoughts.

I'll call them tomorrow, they seem ok, there have several types of tours, so I feel they will be ok.

They have the London Cab tours of the city and a 14 passenger van to Peggy's Cove. That's a little better that 50 to 70 people on a big bus tour.

Thanks for your help.

Victory New York to Canada 09/25/2004 Cruise

Carnvial Sensation 2003

Carnival Fantasy 1993

Pepper42960

Cool Cruiser

posted 05-16-04 10:58 PM

What an amazing ambassador you are for your country! You have been so patient in answering so many questions for years!!!!!!

I hope you'll indulge me a few of my own. We'll be in Halifax around June 30th on Voyager of the Seas. We have five teenagers and I'm trying to select activites that would appeal to them. I'm sure the brewery tours would top the list of several of them, but that's not an option. They have expressed interest in the Tall Ship (can't remember the name of the ship right now), the younger ones are curious about the Hopper or whale watching tours and two of my sons are interested in the "Soldier for a day" excursion that Royal Caribbean offers which would have to be amazing for the money that charge (I think it was over $250 pp). My apologies for my poor memory, but five teenagers take their toll on your brain cells.

Thanks so much for you help!

Rick1965

Cool Cruiser

posted 05-17-04 08:05 AM

Pepper42960, Thank you for your kind words, I do this for the enjoyment of helping people.

5 teenagers,WOW!,that would keep you busy!

Lets see if I can help, the Harbor Hopper is a great tour for young and old. The tall ship experience I've heard is very good too.I'll provide a few links for you to look over.I contacted the Citadel about the soldier for a day program it is alittle pricey.But if your are interested I would call them myself and see about setting up something on my own( you may get a better price).

http://www.regimental.com/default.asp

http://www.regimental.com/inside.asp?cmPageID=237

[url=http://www.tallshipsilva.com/]http://www.tallshipsilva.com/

I hope this helps, please feel free if you have any other questions. Either myself or Tiger1938cb(my father who is responsible for getting me hooked on cruises) will try and answer them.

Rick1965

Maasdam 01/05/03

And again:

waterford3

Cool Cruiser

posted 05-24-04 08:43 PM

Hi Rick

We will be in Halifax at end of June. Were thinking of booking a driver for 3 or 4 hours. Have you heard of Your Cab? Where would you suggest we head for nice scenery and maybe a good lunch? Then plan to try Harbour Hopper before returning to ship. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Have been enjoying reading your posts

Rick1965

Cool Cruiser

posted 05-25-04 07:12 AM

waterford3,I hadn't heard of Your Cab, but did some checking. I've heard nothing bad.Their website looks very good.

http://www.yourcab.ca/tours.htm

To compare rates have a look at these sites, they're just a few who offer similiar services.

http://www.tourbytaxi.com/home.htm

http://aberdeen-itw.com/Aberdeen/

Now as for what see, thats a hard call. I'd suggest a Peggy's Cove and Halifax city tour. You'll get a good feel for area.Where to eat,there's too many choices. The waterfront is covered in great places, as well as Peggy's Cove.

http://www.where.ca/halifax/

The Harbour Hopper sounds like a great end to your day!As I tell everyone I hope this helps.

Rick1965

Maasdam 01/05/03

waterford3

Cool Cruiser

posted 05-26-04 08:54 PM

Hi

Thanks so much for the info. A quick question do you know if Halifax is on same time as NYC. Will we have to adjust for any time difference. Can't wait to see your city

Rick1965

Cool Cruiser

posted 05-27-04 05:48 AM

waterford3, there's an hours time difference between Halifax and New York city.

7:00 am NYC = 8:00 am Halifax

Rick1965

Maasdam 01/05/03

Keithesaan

Cool Cruiser

posted 05-31-04 12:45 AM

Rick, Do you have any opinion on the whale watching tours and is it possible/advisable to double that up with a stop at Peggy's Cove? Are there other coves similar to Peggy's that are not as crowded? Can you beat the crowds to Peggy's with an early tour via a local taxi driver? I enjoy seeing the "real" local area. Any suggestions? What are the real photographic gems of the area that you consider "dont miss" things. I appreciate all the time you have taken to assist us visitors to your hometown.

Keith

Posts: 52 | From: Brandywine, Delaware USA | Registered: 09-22-02

waterford3

Cool Cruiser

posted 05-31-04 05:48 PM

Rick,

You are really so nice to take the time to assist us visitors. Thanks again. Do you know if the Northern Lights are visible from Halifax? and what time of the year can you see them?

Rick1965

Cool Cruiser

posted 06-02-04 05:02 AM

Keithesaan,yes you can beat the crowds to Peggy's Cove by using a local driver.As for whale watching there is a couple that stop at Peggy's Cove. Here is a link to check out.

http://www.peggyscove.com/

The coast is dotted with small coves, hundreds of them, Peggy's is one the best known.Any tour to Peggy's Cove will take you passed a number of smaller coves along the way. Most bus tours don't stop in these smaller coves. With a local taxi you could ask the driver to stop any time you saw something of interest.

As for photographic gems, thats a hard one I really couldn't say there is one thing more than any others to be missed. The downtown area is full of histroy and parks, all which have there own beauty. Peggy's Cove and the trip there, either by land or sea will give you many wonderful sights.

Here are few links.

If you check some of the passed posts you will some other links which maybe of some help.

I hope I given you some useful information, and have great time here in Halifax.

Rick1965

Maasdam 01/05/03

Rick1965

Cool Cruiser

posted 06-02-04 05:11 AM

waterford3, I've never seen the northern lights here in Halifax as long as I've been here (that would be nearly 40 years).

Normally the northern lights are only visiable farther north and in temperatures of 40 degrees and lower.I have relatives living in Yellowknife NWT, now they get to see them alot.

http://www.northern-lights.no/

Rick1965

Maasdam 01/05/03

Lisa63

Cool Cruiser

posted 06-06-04 01:17 AM

Rick, thank you for the great link -- much appreciated.

One question about taxis. It seems that it will be easy to find one at the pier. If we should take a taxi to, say Fairview Cemetery, how difficult would it be to find one to take us back to the ship? Same for the Public Gardens.

Many thanks,

Lisa

Lisa63

Posts: 464 | From: Coastal New England | Registered: 10-21-00

Rick1965

Cool Cruiser

posted 06-08-04 08:06 PM

Lisa63, finding a cab at the Fairview Cemetery could prove to alittle hard. I checked the area around there tonight and found one taxi stand, you would have to walk up Winsdor street and than down Connaught ave. It might be easier to have the taxi that takes you down send another taxi after a time period you set to pick you up.

As for the Public Gardens , no problem finding a taxi.

Rick1965

Maasdam 01/05/03

CRUIZNUZ

Cool Cruiser

posted 06-20-04 06:26 PM

Hi Rick-

A question, please.

Do you know of a good tattoo parlor

in the Halifax area? We see some listed in Dartmouth, is that near to Halifax?

Thanks for your help.

Wayne

Rick1965

Cool Cruiser

posted 06-20-04 07:26 PM

CRUIZNUZ, yes Dartmouth is very close,just across the bridge.Here's a link to the Dartmouth parlor.

http://www.zip.to/merchant

And here's a list of some others in Halifax

http://yp5.superpages.ca/listings.phtml?&N=&R=N&S=NS&C=tattoo&T=halifax&search=Find+It&SRC=ca&searchButton=Find+It&STYPE=S&PG=L&rtd=yp3.superpages.ca-162422

Hope this helps

Rick1965

Maasdam 01/05/03

And finally. I hope I kept them in order.

Thanks Rick for the info on tattoos. Merchant Maries it is!!!

You have a wonderful city.

Thanks again,

Wayne

Lisa63

Cool Cruiser

posted 06-20-04 08:19 PM

Thanks again, Rick, for the Fairfield Cemetery info. It looks like I'll be on my own -- husband and son aren't into it -- so I'll take the tour offered through HAL. This tour leaves in the afternoon, so we have all morning to walk through the Gardens and see nearby sites, something we are looking forward to.

Thank you again for all of your help. I'll be happy to provide feedback on the tour after we return in late August.

Lisa63

Archived