Universe Explorer to sail again as cruise ship?

I read where the Universe Explorer has been replaced as the semester at sea ship and was going to be retrofitted and will sail again as a cruise ship. Anyone else heard or read this?

Just got an E-mail from Maria at World Explorer Cruise Line. The UNIVERSE EXPLORER will be sailing for them again in the 2005 season. Right now the ship is in Hong Kong being updated. Keep watching World Explorer's web site for more information. That is http://www.wecruise.com for more information as they have it.

-Journeyman

I am pleased to now be able to confirm that UNIVERSE EXPLORER will be returning to service with World Explorer Cruises for the 2005 Alaska season. They are also planning itineraries for this coming winter ("the end of this year" in their words).

I wish World Explorer Cruises the best of luck in this new and improved incarnation.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone ever sail on the old Universe? Took two 14 day Alaska cruises in the early 90's. favorite stop was Wrangle. Seem to remember hearing that the college students called it the "white whale". Now long gone to the 'breakers" it was hardly luxury with our tiny little inside cabin but we had some of the best tablemates we ever had on any cruise. And what a view while doing our laundry.

• 1 month later...
Got the news from the Moore-Mc Cormack news letter that the SS Universe Explorer is not going to sail again. It looks like it might be scrapped. Any fans of these classic ships can find out more by going to the moore- mack web site.
To add to that - you can visit the excellent Mooremack site in question here.

I have not yet been able to get confirmation of this from World Explorer but as it has showed up from several reliable sources I'm assuming it's true until I hear otherwise.

Very sad news, but unfortunately if, as claimed, the ship does suffer from structural problems, it is pretty much unavoidable.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 11 months later...

I see that the last post here was in 2008, so perhaps no one will see this. I came across your website while doing a search on Google for SS Universe Explorer (formerly Brasil). In 1996, I was a passenger on the ship when it caught fire in Alaska. I've always wondered whether the ship sailed again - it sounds like it did in the 90s and continued to carry passengers up until 2004. Since the ship suffered from pretty significant structural problems (your words, not mine), I'm surprised that it lasted so long after the fire. Does anyone know for sure what has happened to it since then?

Thanks!

I see that the last post here was in 2008, so perhaps no one will see this. I came across your website while doing a search on Google for SS Universe Explorer (formerly Brasil). In 1996, I was a passenger on the ship when it caught fire in Alaska. I've always wondered whether the ship sailed again - it sounds like it did in the 90s and continued to carry passengers up until 2004. Since the ship suffered from pretty significant structural problems (your words, not mine), I'm surprised that it lasted so long after the fire. Does anyone know for sure what has happened to it since then?

Thanks!

The ship has been scraped. http://www.ssmaritime.com/universeexplorer.htm

Sadly, SS Universe Explorer was beached at Alang on December 7, 2004 and was broken up in 2005, thus another fine American Liner has been lost!

• 10 months later...

Hi

I loved this ship and hoped it would sail again. I went to A two week cruise to Alaska. It took me years to save for this trip. My Sister-in law was one of the entertainers on the ship. (Nope no discount) they had Single rooms. I had the best time. I was at table with 8 other women one was a Mom and Daughter. One of the others was a elderly woman who was going to sail with her husband but her husband died. Her sons told her to go anyway. I remember taking her under my wing and if I did a excusion she came along. some of us did the same excusions so she was thrilled to come along. We had a great time at meals. People in dining room thought we were all old friends but we all had just meet. It was a great cruise. I hoped and hoped they would get another ship which they did. But it ran into a very bad storm at semster at sea (if you look back the news reports) a few kids were hurt. I don't remember the ships name but I think it was the last time it sailed.

Mary

Archived