Sea Dream in Mediterranean----rocking motion? "Mal de Debarquement" concern

lindasp62

:confused: HI! Can anyone tell me if a Sea Dream cruise in the Med. is a rocky ride? I have read (on this site!) that the ship can throw you around a bit and bob to and fro. I guess that this might be because it is a smaller ship...but, in general, are the seas in the Med. rough? I am concerned because my Aunt just came back from a SilverSea Caribbean cruise and had vertigo for almost 2 weeks...than another friend leaving on a cruise today told me there is an actual syndrome called "Mal de Debarquement"..which is a type of vertigo, I guess, that can last weeks or even years! It seems to affect women between 40-50 mostly...and guess what? That's me! Anyone, please just let me know....I don't want this syndrome, especially as I plan on doing some land travel in Europe after the cruise of the Med., and I don't want to be tripping all over myself! Thanks

:confused: HI! Can anyone tell me if a Sea Dream cruise in the Med. is a rocky ride? I have read (on this site!) that the ship can throw you around a bit and bob to and fro. I guess that this might be because it is a smaller ship...but, in general, are the seas in the Med. rough? I am concerned because my Aunt just came back from a SilverSea Caribbean cruise and had vertigo for almost 2 weeks...than another friend leaving on a cruise today told me there is an actual syndrome called "Mal de Debarquement"..which is a type of vertigo, I guess, that can last weeks or even years! It seems to affect women between 40-50 mostly...and guess what? That's me! Anyone, please just let me know....I don't want this syndrome, especially as I plan on doing some land travel in Europe after the cruise of the Med., and I don't want to be tripping all over myself! Thanks

I have been on 4 of the SeaDream Med Cruises and I can say that the yachts ride the waters really well. Two years ago, I was in South France and a large storm came up - and we sought refuge in the port of Nice for 2 days. But even sialing from St. Tropez to the port in the storm was not bad. I felt bad for the larger ships that just had to ride out the storm. I tend to feel that the smaller ships have less of a sway because they are too small to sway too much. I have felt the seas much worse on larger ships.

The syndrome that you are talking about can be easily taken care of. I have had it before, and called my doctor desperate for a solution - and he recommeded that I take bonine for a few days after the cruise. Worked like a charm.

I feel badly if anyone is worried about SeaDream's rocking motion due to our experience off the coast of Brazil and Uruguay last month. I have been on SeaDream in the Med and the Caribbean and have never had any problem with motion. The weather in South America was unusal but never rough until that one day. And everyone "weathered" the rocking just fine. On the other hand, you seem to be talking about the weaving some people experience AFTER a cruise. I have to admit, I DO experience that. I alway have . . .even after getting off of megaships . . .for about a week post cruise. That is something totally different from "seasickness" and, I don't think it has anything to do with how rough the cruise was, because I get it no matter what. In my case, it's just a minor annoyance. Thanks, surfklutz, for the tip on bonine.

I feel badly if anyone is worried about SeaDream's rocking motion due to our experience off the coast of Brazil and Uruguay last month. I have been on SeaDream in the Med and the Caribbean and have never had any problem with motion. The weather in South America was unusal but never rough until that one day. And everyone "weathered" the rocking just fine. On the other hand, you seem to be talking about the weaving some people experience AFTER a cruise. I have to admit, I DO experience that. I alway have . . .even after getting off of megaships . . .for about a week post cruise. That is something totally different from "seasickness" and, I don't think it has anything to do with how rough the cruise was, because I get it no matter what. In my case, it's just a minor annoyance. Thanks, surfklutz, for the tip on bonine.

You are right, it is not seasickness, just that feeling that you are still not on steady ground. It is especially pronounced when you lay down and close your eyes. The Bonine works really well. And you are also correct that the mega ships don't prevent that as well. I sometimes feel as though it is worse on the bigger ships as you tend to have a longer "sway". If I had listened closer in geometry I could actually prove that!

Archived