Photos of a couple

ladyjbd3155

Hi all -

I'm taking my first cruise with my boyfriend later this year and I am so excited! I have been getting so many ideas for the scrapbook I plan to do afterwards. My question is, though, how do you all who travel as a couple get the photos you want of the two of you together? Do you just request random strangers to take your picture for you? I have no problem at all offering to take photos of others if I see they might be interested, but I always feel weird about asking people to do it for me. Almost all of our pictures are of one of us holding the camera out front and snapping in what we "think" is the right direction :)

Just ask - My sister and I just got back off the Glory - I love some of the pictures that were taken just by asking people.

I don't think she expected me to walk over to a strangers table in a restaurant in Nassau and ask them to take our picture. Came to find out their son lives not to far from us. We ran into them a couple more times in port and he would alway offer to take another picture - nice people.

Just make sure that your camera is ready for them to point and shoot and most people are more than willing to help.

One thing to keep in mind is getting a formal type picture EARLY during the cruise. Why?? After a couple of days in the sun...you will show up bright RED in a picture!!! I have learned that lesson.

The ships phto people take great ones, and considering what you pay for the cruise, one great picture will be kept forever....good luck and welcome tothe cruising community! jim

Check out the Gorillapod at www.joby.com They come in two sizes, a small one for compact cameras and a larger for SLR's. I bought one of the small ones today and it really is amazing. Have you for instance ever taken a photo with your camera 'mounted' on the armrest of a chair? - no problem for this fella ... I had one with (slightly) bendable legs for uneven surfaces but this will wrap around things .... Their website has lots of examples. Can't wait to use it on our upcoming vacation. After all, there is not always someone else (that can be entrusted with your camera) around when you would like a photo of the 2 (or more) of you.

I agree with jpetros about getting formal type pictures from the ships photographers - you may think they are expensive but compare to what you would pay at a photographers studio back home (and this will be such a nice memento as well). - Enjoy your cruise. action-smiley-024.gif

I agree - asking is no big deal, and most people are happy to oblige (judge their body language/demeanor first, of course). My rule of thumb used to be to ask someone with a family or someone that had a nicer camera than I did. I don't know, I just felt "safer" that way, but I'm sure that there's not that worry on a cruise ship. :) The tripod idea is great, too. I'm planning on bringing mine and had seen a few ads for the gorillapod, too, so maybe I'll check that one out instead. A 3rd idea - on my last (only) cruise, the Disney photographers were happy to take a photo with my camera after they took one with theirs, although I never asked when there was a line of other passengers waiting... They were very friendly and generous, though. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have always tried to find another couple that looked like they would also like to have their picture taken together and offered to take it for them in exchange for the same. "Would you like me to take a picture of the two of you together and then you could do the same for us?" I find that this usually works!

we have always asked other couples to take our picture. When we lived in Hawaii we asked a Japanese couple to take our picture and then returned the favor. They took our address and we later recieved a pictur of them and a nice letter telling us about their vacation and celebration of a 20 year wedding. It was obovious that they were writting the letter using a Japanese to English dictonery so that made the letter even more important. Our motto is ask and enjoy meeting new people.

I love the timer function, and I have gotten pretty good at balancing the camera on different surfaces! I have a tripod, too, but I'm considering leaving it at home and buying one of those little gorilla-pods instead.

I agree with everyone else just ask someone to take a picture of your and then offer to take one of them together. After all they are all on vacation too and everyone is usually pretty happy and willing to help for a return favor. And I would also recommend that you have a formal picture taken by the ships photographers in fact have a couple taken and they you can choose which one you want to purchase if any. I usually can't decide and get a few different ones.

Hi all - I'm taking my first cruise with my boyfriend later this year and I am so excited! I have been getting so many ideas for the scrapbook I plan to do afterwards. My question is, though, how do you all who travel as a couple get the photos you want of the two of you together? Do you just request random strangers to take your picture for you? I have no problem at all offering to take photos of others if I see they might be interested, but I always feel weird about asking people to do it for me. Almost all of our pictures are of one of us holding the camera out front and snapping in what we "think" is the right direction :)

The best person to ask is someone else who has their camera. Most of the time you end up returning the favor by taking their / his / her photo. Works all the time. Never had anyone "refuse". Everyone is always glad to oblige. ;)

The best person to ask is someone else who has their camera. Most of the time you end up returning the favor by taking their / his / her photo. Works all the time. Never had anyone "refuse". Everyone is always glad to oblige. ;)

I completely agree! It also works really well if you see that one member of a group is taking a photo of everyone else (but obviously the picture-taker isn't in the photo). You can offer to take one of their whole group and then ask one of them to take a photo of you.

I also usually try to ask someone with a nicer camera than mine... I figure I'll probably end up with a really good picture! (Although I know that not everyone knows how to use their cameras...). I also figure that there is a much lower chance of them running away with my camera if theirs is better! :D

Archived