Missing Princess Ship

Maybe this forum will have my answer. In January or February of 1991 I sailed Princess on a Mexican Riviera route. I thought the ship was the Dream or the Dawnl, but I'm comming up empty. The only reason is that I'm trying to get Princess Captain's Circle credit for that cruise and the name of the ship would sure help, but then my phone number at the time would also help and that has been lost in the fog of time.

I think it was mostly likely DAWN PRINCESS. There was not, and has never been a DREAM PRINCESS.

FYI, the DAWN PRINCESS in 1991 was not the same ship that is currently part of the Princess fleet. She was sold in 1993 to the German cruise line Phoenix Reisen and renamed ALBATROS. She was scrapped in India in 2004.

Found this on the Princess site...

In 1984, the company's newly built Royal Princess, with its all-outside cabins, was a trendsetter for the bigger "superships" to come, and introduced new standards of elegance and innovative concepts in comfort and space. The addition of P&O's Sea Princess in 1986 expanded the Princess fleet to five ships. With the company's desire to maintain its leadership position in the burgeoning worldwide cruise industry, Los Angeles-based Sitmar Cruises was acquired in 1988, which brought the number of ships to nine with the addition of Fair Princess, Sky Princess and Dawn Princess. In 1989 Star Princess, which was originally under construction for Sitmar, joined the Princess fleet. In 1991, the line's Sea Princess was returned to parent company P&O to serve the European cruise market.

ArizonaRalphie

If you thinking of the Dawn it has been refurbished and sent to Australia and it staying here.

Regal Princess will be refurbished and become Pacific Dawn in OZ later this year.(Oct)

Current Dawn Princess is not moving to Australia.

The original Dawn Princess does match the timeline for your "missing" ship.

ArizonaRalphie this gives the fleet listed in 1990.

Britain's Peninsular & Oriental Steam Navigation Company (P&O) acquired Princess Cruise Line in 1974 and their Spirit of London (originally to have been Norwegian Cruise Line's Seaward) was transferred to the Princess fleet, becoming the first Sun Princess.

The two ships that were to be featured heavily in the television series 'Love Boat' were built in 1971 at Nordseewerke for Flagship Cruises and originally named the Sea Venture and Island Venture. In 1974, P&O purchased them for their Princess division, and they served as the Island Princess and Pacific Princess respectively.

A part time addition to the Princess fleet was the former Swedish transatlantic liner Kungsholm, purchased by P&O from Flagship Cruises in 1978, and then restyled and rebuilt in Bremen as the Sea Princess. She was initially based in Australia as a P&O ship until 1981 when her role there was taken over by the ss Oriana. After that, she alternated between P&O and Princess colours as she moved between fleets. The Sea Princess returned to the P&O UK fleet permanently and in 1995 and was renamed Victoria to allow a then new Princess ship to be named Sea Princess.

The first P&O Princess Cruises purpose-built cruise ship was the Royal Princess in 1984, the largest new British passenger ship in a decade, and one of the first, if not the first, ships to completely dispense with interior cabins. The ship now serves in P&O Cruises fleet as the Artemis. A new Princess ship, Royal Princess, is set to debut sometime in spring 2007.

P&O Princess Cruises acquired Sitmar Line in 1988 and transferred all of its major tonnage to Princess, including three cruise ships then under construction. The Dawn Princess and Fair Princess were both ex-Cunarders, and the former Sitmar Fairsky became Princess's Sky Princess. The first of the three new Sitmar ships came into the Princess brand in 1989 as the Star Princess, the largest British exclusively cruising ship. Two 70,000 grt cruise ships entered service in 1990 as the Crown Princess and Regal Princess, bringing Princess's fleet up to ten deluxe cruise ships.

Hope this helps.

Does Princess monitor these boards? Yesterday I went to my Princess account and 'lo and behold I've been credited with a 7 day cruise in 1991. I was only trying to assemble information to present to them and suddenly it's there. Sure is a mystery to me.

Ralph

• 4 years later...

I sailed the Royal Princess through the Panama Canal - in 1989 I think. This was my first cruise - oh what a trip! Beautiful ship - have yet to see anything compare to it, have yet to have a trip equal this one!

Archived