British Colonial Hilton

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 05:59 AM.
155 Posts
Joined Jun 2004
Has anyone paid the $15 a person to stay the day at the British Colonial Hilton? If so I have some questions. How far of a walk is it from the ship? Do you have to walk in the street? I will be traveling with my husband and two year old son. What does the $15 include? Use of the pool, chairs, beach and rest rooms.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
12,204 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
The British Colonial Hilton is just a short walk (5-7 minutes w/ a toddlere) along the wharf to the hotel. On weekdays and Saturdays, you can enter on the side of the building at the very end of Bay street and the Straw Market (entrance says One Bay Street and it looks like the bank entrance ) . Once inside there is a gate next the the building on the right. Walk along the path to the beach entrance of the hotel.. (you have to pay at the main desk) OR you can walk along the street to the front and enter into the grand foyer.

$15 includes use of the lounges at the beach and pool, rest rooms, kayaks, peddle boats and towel service. Some pool areas have umbrellas, and there are some palm frond palapas on the beach. They also have a bar and grill and spa services available at an additional cost.

They have a local band at the pool around 1pm.. they are not loud and obtrusive.
12,204 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
Although the British Colonial is my favorite Hotel, I haven't stayed there in months. I have a house in Nassau, and use the hotel for occasions when I have family or friends in town.. or hang out when I have some time to relax or catch a show.

I've been going there for nearly 20 years. The newly refurbished BCH is gorgeous. It's NOT a resort, but a classic upscale hotel with grand staircases, well appointed rooms, (a little on the small side ) granite bathrooms, High Tea in the afternoon and a jazz club in the evenings.. This is NOT Atlantis..
Chicago, IL
2,579 Posts
Joined Sep 2004
I would like more information on the High Tea also. I think my mom would enjoy this. What time? What do they serve? Can we participate if we are not staying at the British Colonial Hilton? What to wear? etc.

Thank you,
Maggie
Chicago, IL
2,579 Posts
Joined Sep 2004
I just got the following email from the British Colonial Hilton in my request for information on the High Tea.

>>>>

Dear Mrs. Workman,

I would like to thank you for the interest shown in our hotel.

Unfortunately we don't serve anymore the afternoon tea in the Palm
Court.

I can suggest you, while visiting downtown Nassau, to stop for a drink
or lunch at the Patio Grille, our outdoor casual restaurant with
beautiful view of our beach and Nassau harbor.
The British Colonial Hilton is situated just a few minutes walk from
the cruise ships terminal.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to contact me.

Best regards,

>>>>>

Maggie
Hey y'all!
10,873 Posts
Joined Apr 2003
What is the email address for the BCH?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Skiiergirl (and Mr. Ski)

Register for the Meet and Mingle here: https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/ccEntry.do
(You will need the ship name, sailing date, and booking number.)

Most posts are done from my iPad. So please overlook the typos/stupid autocorrect that I don't catch! Interpret what I mean not how it reads.

No children, No guilt, Spending the cats' inheritance one cruise at a time!
1,130 Posts
Joined Jun 2003
Ok, so what's the difference between the Hilton and the Radisson/Wyndham? Why is there a charge for the Hilton and not for the other two. I'm looking for a nice, comfy beach/pool area with maby some water sports/activities. I'm not interested in Atlantis.
12,204 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
There is quite a different between the BCH and the hotels at Cable Beach.
BCH has a tiny quiet beach on the harbour and serene surroundings. It's NOT a resort, just an upscale hotel a few steps from the cruisedocks. They charge $20 so that they are NOT overwhelmed by the cruise crowds. There's no activities here except a paddle boat and a couple of kayaks. It's for those who want peace and quiet, and not the fuss of a huge resort. They do not allow many cruise guests so that they don't get too crowded.

The Hotels at Cable Beach are all resorts, they have plenty of guests, kids, music, etc. They are much busier and noisier, but have more to offer in the size of the beach and pools, as well as the selection of things to do. You might find a scuba lesson or aerobics class, or the Kidz Club splashing in the pool.
The beach is quite nice for a long walk.

All have a bar/grill for snacks or lunch.
Hey y'all!
10,873 Posts
Joined Apr 2003
scubagirl....Do you have an email address for BCH? Do we need to make reservations (if they limit the # of ship passengers)? Thanks.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Skiiergirl (and Mr. Ski)

Register for the Meet and Mingle here: https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/ccEntry.do
(You will need the ship name, sailing date, and booking number.)

Most posts are done from my iPad. So please overlook the typos/stupid autocorrect that I don't catch! Interpret what I mean not how it reads.

No children, No guilt, Spending the cats' inheritance one cruise at a time!
Clifton Park, New York
384 Posts
Joined Jan 2003
Bump
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jamie (the other half of VernRDH)

Previous Cruises:
RCCL Majesty of the Seas, 2X RCCL Soverign of the Seas, RCCL Voyager of the Seas, RCCL Jewel of the Seas, RCCL Legend of the Seas, RCCL Freedom of the Seas and RCCL Explorer of the Seas.

Family website: www.FatSquirrel.us
Southern NJ-One Square Mile Of Friendliness
1,504 Posts
Joined Apr 2004
On our last two cruises we walked down right past the British Colony and there was a Free beach and park...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Weather.....Be Aware..Be Prepared
Disney Wonder Land/Sea- 2003
Grandeur Of The Seas- 2004
Norwegian Dawn- 2005
Disney Wonder Land/Sea -2006
Bermuda & Eastern Caribbean
Explorer Of The Seas - August 17, 2007
Wedding Vow Renewal Cruise
Norwegian Sky Aug 11, 2008
Aug 28, 2010..Norweigian Epic
Carnnival Miracle August 26, 2012
Norwegian GEM August 30, 2014
Grandeur Of the Seas- April 2018
Norwegian Gem-March 2019
Noregian Dawn- August 2019
Orlando, Florida - USA
979 Posts
Joined Nov 2000
was there any bathrooms and bar service?

Glen
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
CCL Fantasty - 85- virgins- Bahamas
CCL Destiny - 99 -Southern Caribbean
NCL Sky - 00- Eastern Caribbean
CCL Destiny - 01 -
NCL Star - 02- Hawaii- the best
CCL Inspiration - 03 -
CCL Fantasty - 04 -
RCI Adventure of the Seas - 05
RCI Sovereign of the Seas - 05
CCL Glory - 08 - Natalie's 55th- Eastern Caribbean
RCL-Monarch -10-Bahamas
RCL-Liberty -13- western Caribbean
RCL-14
Carnival-14

Glen
Southern NJ-One Square Mile Of Friendliness
1,504 Posts
Joined Apr 2004
There may have been a public restroom, but we did not use it... There is a small "stand" across the street that sells beer...nothing fancy...It is basically a public park with access to the water....
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Weather.....Be Aware..Be Prepared
Disney Wonder Land/Sea- 2003
Grandeur Of The Seas- 2004
Norwegian Dawn- 2005
Disney Wonder Land/Sea -2006
Bermuda & Eastern Caribbean
Explorer Of The Seas - August 17, 2007
Wedding Vow Renewal Cruise
Norwegian Sky Aug 11, 2008
Aug 28, 2010..Norweigian Epic
Carnnival Miracle August 26, 2012
Norwegian GEM August 30, 2014
Grandeur Of the Seas- April 2018
Norwegian Gem-March 2019
Noregian Dawn- August 2019
1,361 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
We recently visited the BCH and enjoyed our time there. It's within walking distance (right past the Straw Market), and worth the $15/pp. The beach is small but the water is clean and clear. They give you a towel and there's plenty of chairs and umbrellas. The pool is great, and the pool bar/grill had good food and drinks at ok prices. The bathrooms/changing area was very nice and clean, too.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
CARNIVAL SENSATION 6/27/05 (We love cruising!!)
FANTASY - Sister cruise 7/24/05
CRUISIN' the CONQUEST~6/18/06!
THE MARINER OF THE SEAS 6/24/07
LIBERTY OF THE SEAS 6/21/08
CARNIVAL SENSATION 7/09
OASIS OF THE SEAS 7/26/10 (wow!)
SERENADE OF THE SEAS 6/26/11
INSPIRATION - Sister Cruise 7/11
CARNIVAL LEGEND 6/12
Keys & Ft. Lauderdale 7/13
JEWEL OF THE SEAS 6/14
CELEBRITY SUMMIT to BERMUDA! 6/15
CELEBRITY EQUINOX 11/16 - Retirement Cruise!

JEWEL OF THE SEAS #2 Italy and Greek Isles! 9/18
1,361 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
No, we arrived about 11:30 and just checked in at the front lobby desk. It didn't get very crowded but all umbrellas were taken by 1:00. I don't think they take reservations. There were 3 ships in port the day we were there. Let me know if you have any more ?'s.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
CARNIVAL SENSATION 6/27/05 (We love cruising!!)
FANTASY - Sister cruise 7/24/05
CRUISIN' the CONQUEST~6/18/06!
THE MARINER OF THE SEAS 6/24/07
LIBERTY OF THE SEAS 6/21/08
CARNIVAL SENSATION 7/09
OASIS OF THE SEAS 7/26/10 (wow!)
SERENADE OF THE SEAS 6/26/11
INSPIRATION - Sister Cruise 7/11
CARNIVAL LEGEND 6/12
Keys & Ft. Lauderdale 7/13
JEWEL OF THE SEAS 6/14
CELEBRITY SUMMIT to BERMUDA! 6/15
CELEBRITY EQUINOX 11/16 - Retirement Cruise!

JEWEL OF THE SEAS #2 Italy and Greek Isles! 9/18
South Carolina
30,956 Posts
Joined Dec 2001
Originally posted by scubagirrl
On weekdays and Saturdays, you can enter on the side of the building at the very end of Bay street and the Straw Market (entrance says One Bay Street and it looks like the bank entrance ) .
Thanks so very much for all of the help!

What about SUNDAYS? Can you get a day pass on Sunday ... just need to use the Front Enterance???

Happy Sailing! OCruisers