Locks at Panama Canal

Riba

Riba,

When we were on our 11 night Ultimate aboard the Summit our port of call was Colon, Panama and we did not transit the canal while on the Ship. We did take a shore excursion and went through the locks on a ferry. It was a full day shore excursion and we found it very enjoyable and a very unique way of experiencing transit through the locks.

Sandy

• 4 weeks later...

Dave,

The shore excursion was booked through Celebrity. It was titled "Panama Canal Locks by Ferry" and was $231.00 CAD for adults when we did it in Feb. 2003 while on the 11 night Ultimate Caribbean aboard the Summit.

We began with a narrated drive by coach from Colon to Balboa. We boarded the ferry and traveled through the Miraflores Locks. The ferry continued along the Miraflores Lakes before entering the Pedro Miguel Locks. Once exciting the locks we were in the Gaillard Cut (location of the Continental Divide and the site where thousands of workers lost their lives while the canal was constructed). The ferry portion concluded at the pier in Gamboa where we reboarded our motor coach for a 1 hour ride back to the ship. A light snack (submarine sandwich, muffin and beverage) were provided while we were on the ferry.

We found this excursion very enjoyable as we had never experienced a crossing through the Panama Canal. It provided us with a "birds eye" view going through the Locks while on a smaller vessel. We did feel the cost was expensive (being we were paying in Canadian Dollars) but in the end we enjoyed the experience. It was a full 7 hour excursion. The motorcoach portion provided us with a glimpse of the countryside and the narrated portions provided by our guide gave us lessons in history/flora/fauna/culture etc. There was also commentary from a guide while onboard the Ferry as well. They provided us with Canal history/operation as well as "eyes" for looking for wildlife along the canal.

This was a popular excursion as there were two ferries filled with paying passengers from our ship and probably 4 or 5 filled motorcoaches. I would say that there were at least 200 passengers for this excursion. I don't think there was a bad place to be on the ferry--there were lots of places to sit and you were sheltered from the sun.

We did this excursion because the Summit did not go into the canal. If you are lucky enough to transit the Canal on your own Ship--stay onboard and experience the transit first hand--why pay extra. If your vessel does not transit the canal we would recommend this Ferry excursion.

Sandy

Sandy,

Thanks soooo much for your comments about this excursion! We are contemplating it on our cruise in jan. I have another thread specifically asking about staying on the ship versus excursions and am so glad I found this one. We will be doing a partial transit through the locks on the atlantic side and all the way to gatun lake, but then our boat turns around and goes back to cristobal pier. This is the one excursion I'm tempted to take as it does get you all the way through the canal. But, like you said, its expensive!! $154pp american. Ouch! But, I've also heard the train tour alongside the canal is awesome and it has air conditioning. Did you hear any comments about doing the train versus the locks by ferry? Or would you just stay on the boat since we get to at least go through the first set of locks on the east side?

Can't comment on taking the train trip. I'm not sure I would want to miss the sights and sounds of a crossing from the inside of a railcar.

If your Ship does go through a set of locks I personally would stay onboard and experience the event while you are a passenger. If it does not, my recommendation albeit expensive is to experience the journey on the ferry. For us it was most enjoyable (despite the cost) and it left us wanting to do a full transit. And that is booked :D

Sandy

• 2 months later...

Hi Prarie Girl,

I assume from your post that you did not go through the Gatun locks. Is thast an option. Our ship does not go into the canal at all, just docks at Colon. (Celibrity Horizon, Dec 31 2005).

Really appreciate yor post... any other info appreciated.

Many Thanks

PricePerformer

• 2 weeks later...

We are sailing in Feb. on the Galaxy (out of Galveston), which does go through the canal, at least partway. I thought our friends were taking Galaxy, too, but they are taking Horizon out of Tampa on 12/10. Since this cruise does not go through the canal, they booked the ferry boat excursion through Celebrity. It sounds like a good alternative, although expensive. Our friends figured this was a once in a lifetime trip for them and they didn't want to miss going through the canal. I'm glad we will be going through on our ship-- maybe a money saver in the long run.

Explorer E. Carib. 1/12/02

Explorer W. Carib 1/18/03

Summit Alaska cruise/tour 8/3/03

Adventure S. Carib. 2/8/04

Galaxy Panama Canal/W. Carib 2/3/05

Thank you thank you for the information. I assume the ferry is not air conditioned. Do I need to bring a stadium type seat cushion? I have to book this today since it is exactly 10 days before my cruise on Summit which leaves on the 15th (if they count today as the 10th day. Otherwise I'll have to take my chances on getting it booked on board.

Archived