navigator vibrations

sdf89

I have been noting various references to vibrations on Navigator, and figured that we would tolerate it occasionally in Compass Rose. Some posters had implied that some problems in past years were fixed and that vibrations were much less. I wasn't worried about our cabin (845) since it seemed close to mid-ship.

However, just read an extensive review on a 3/04 journey in which vibrations in cabin 857 were quote:

"Out of 15 cruises, I've never experienced ship vibrations like this... The shaking is so bad, that different fixtures in the room were rattling. The TV was so bad, that I had to stuff some towels under it because it was so loud. At times, the vibration was teeth chattering. It took a long time to fall asleep, since the engine hum was so prevalent."

So... can anyone who has been on Navigator this year reassure us concerning a stateroom just a bit aft of mid-ship on deck 8? It probably is not too late for us to change rooms, though we were really happy with 845 for multiple reasons.

(here is a link to full review (which is generally positive): )

http://www.electricship.com/200403130101.html

We have cruised Navigator in '03 & '04 and never had a problem with the ship vibrating at all! Only time we have heard any ship vibrate at all is when we crossed the Atlantic on Brilliance two years ago. Heard & felt some real vibrations then!

We did the Navigator last year to Bermuda, and there are definitely vibrations. One night for dinner we sat at a small round table for two in the center nearer the back of the dining room and the vibrations were very noticible (so much you could see it in our glasses of wine); we ultimately moved tables. Our cabin was 861 which is aft, and felt the vibrations there as well. I wouldn't say they were so bad they kept you awake or that the tv was rattling off the table, but you could tell there were vibrations. My recommendation is to get a cabin that is forward to midship which looks like your cabin is.

We recently completed trip on Navigator (Montreal-NY 6/16) in Ste 819 and experienced NO cabin vibration. Granted, we had very calm seas. Vibration noise was noted in the show room and was the most noticeable on the deck outside Portofino's the morning of our arrival in NY harbor at a Very slow speed. Never noticed anything in Compass Rose.

819 was a wonderful location, convenient to elevarors, laundry room, etc.

The cruise was wonderful!! Where are you going?

Ditto gf's comments. Some vibration was noted in some of the aft public spaces but was certainly not bad enough to keep me awake if I was sleeping there (we were in 813 so avoided the whole issue). 845 is midship enough that I don't think you'll have a problem.

Spleen

Thank you all for your comments.

One interesting observation from deck plans is that the Compass Rose is not fully aft, and so the complaints about vibration at the aft tables of the restaurant are in an area midway between the aft of the ship (bow?) and center of the ship. Hence I got concerned about 845. I am a easy sleeper, but DW stays awake easily. (I had to do a little arm twisting to switch from Princess, so want to keep DW happy!)

temclendon: From then on, did you always request a table to the front of restaurant? And if so, was that received well?

gf: we hope to do the New York to Montreal.

We sat pretty much everywhere and anywhere in the dining room, but found that particular spot to be "the worst". I think one of the reasons too was that particular table sat on the marble in the dining room rather than the carpet. Radisson is very accommodating so there will be no problems requesting a certain table or area of the restaurant. Indeed the Compass Rose seems to be below your cabin, but 3 decks lower, and you will feel much more of the vibrations at the lower levels

The previous poster is right there are a couple of tables that are on the marble in the aft center that vibrate really bad. We sat at one here and by the end of dinner I was sick to my stomach (and I'm one who doesn't need seasick meds - very use to the motion of the ocean). This section is directly over the ships engines (we were told this by waiters) thus the extreme vibration. I spoke with Patrick (maitre 'd) and after that we were always seated at wonderful tables.

I personally found this ship to have more vibration than any other ship I've sailed (12 and some of them in the 1970's much smaller and without stablizers - so I do have a bit of experience). We were in a cabin that was forward and found there is no vibration in that area at all. We talked with a couple of entertainers that are in deck 8 aft cabins and they said the vibration was constant in their cabins. Personally if you have any doubts about this I would suggest you change cabins if you can - better to be safe than miserable.

Another tip - we made reservations for Portofino's on a night that we were docked in Bermuda to avoid the vibration that is there at many of the tables.

Enjoy your cruise.

Kathy

We just returned from the Navigator this week. The vibration was the strongest on the outside seating for the Portofino grill whenever the ship was leaving harbor. You would feel it occasionally in the Show Lounge. It was minimal at best in the Compass Rose. However, this was a wonderful cruise and the vibration was a very minor thing - nothing to worry about or nothing that will interfere with your enjoyment of this wonderful ship.

We were on the Navigator in room 617 in April, '03 from Ft. Lauderdale to Bermuda. I looked for vibration, as we had been on that ship nine months earlier in Alaska, and had some. This is the kind of thing that makes me take notice of every little thing, while I forget that all ships have SOME vibration, especially when using the side thrusters as in docking or leaving port. In any event, in April, '03 we noticed vibrations only in the show lounge. I don't wish to minimize that problem, as it was so bad in the showlounge that it actually translated into noise that drowned out the lectruer! But I don't think she was vibrating in the suites or restaurants at that time. In fact, our worst ever experience with "vibrating suites" on Radisson was not on the Navigator at all, but in a stern suite on the Voyager!

It may not be possible to predict vibrations on the Navigator -- or any other ship --- from past experience with absolute accuracy. Sea conditions come into play, and the Navigator actually vibrates more in calm seas! Also, I believe Radisson is making "running repairs and changes" to try to fix the problem. Some help, some do nothing, and some may make matters worse. So unfortunately, I feel that one always takes a bit of a chance on vibration when booking this ship. I suggest that the best way to improve your odds is to book as low and forward as possible, as the vibration is clearly connected to the screws and their shafts. And remember that Vibration is only one element of ride at sea. Otherwise, the Navigator does very well. Almost no roll or pitch.

Hope this helps,

Richard

Richard, that does help. 1: the most perplexing part had been how people in nearby cabins (e.g. 857,861,863) in this thread have differing experiences. 2: I assumed higher is better but noted Portofino problems, and did not realize that actually lower is better.

We were 2 couples on the Navigator last September during the Hurricane. We were in the front of the ship- I think in 901, one cabin above the other.

Our reactions to the vibrations were quite different, for 3 of us it was not an issue. But the other woman in our group was very upset by the vibration and said that she could not lie down, that she had to sleep sitting up! I think that their cabin was the worst on the ship for vibration. I'm sure the Hurricane probably made things worse, too.

But it was enough of a non-issue for us that we are booked in the same cabin for a cruise in December.

We sailed Navigator to Bermuda in May and the only place we noticed occasional vibration was during tea time in the Galileo's Lounge. We had no problems in either the Compass Rose or Portifino dining rooms or in our cabin 731. Crew members claim the vibration is cavitation not uncommon on most cruise ships. In no way did it impact negatively on our cruise and we have booked Navigator again next year.

I have sailed on the Navigator quite a few times. There IS a vibration at the back of the ship and sometimes noises in the front lounge. How much there is depends on so many things. Seas being a big issue.

The problems it causes depends ENTIRELY on the person. Two people same cabin same trip one thinks it is "a nightmare" and the other one says "what vibration". It is all about how we react and see things differently. No one is right or wrong on this issue we just have different levels of comfort or sensibility to different things.

On issues such as this and also on quality of food I think it is like diving scores. Throw out the worst report, throw out the most positive report, and the reality for most people is in the middle.

That being said the ship vibrates at times in certain areas of the ship but will cause the majority of the passengers NO problems whatsoever. She is a lovely ship, great cabins, wonderful staff and I think you will have a great time.

Hi

This will be my first cruise and I unfortunately just started reading all this stuff about ship vibrations.

I believe our cabins are in the front of the ship on the 9th floor (9524,9528)

Are we going to have problems? This is the first I have read about this.

Thanks

We sailed on 6/29.

Unquestionably, there is vibration and noise on this ship, more so than any other ship I have been on.

That being said, it was not all that annoying or distracting. We had a cabin on deck ten, the second cabin from the pool (all cabins on deck ten are forward of the pool). We noticed vibration in our cabin minimally, if at all - like on other ships we have sailed on.

Don't worry, you'll love it. You'll be pampered nicely by the staff, it's a wonderful ship. Our first small ship experience, we loved it!

We too were on the 6/29 cruise and felt mininal vibration. We were in 703 ---very forward and seldom felt a vibration. The only time we felt vibration was in the stage area. We ate in the Portifina Grill 3 times and felt a slight vibration when seated by the window. Ditto to Former Goalie----you will love the experience and the pampering. It was our first cruise and I doubt that we will cruise anything but Radisson.

Hi

This will be my first cruise and I unfortunately just started reading all this stuff about ship vibrations.

I believe our cabins are in the front of the ship on the 9th floor (9524,9528)

Are we going to have problems? This is the first I have read about this.

Thanks

Starzzz: just noticed you are referring to Royal Caribbean's ship. These posts refer to Radisson's ship!

I have been on the Navigator twice, and am going on her on a 3rd cruise next summer Iceland/Norway. Have to totally agree with Ngaire's comments above. I have been participating on this board since the Navigator's maiden year, and this subject has been discussed many, many times, always with the same results. It just depends on the person. While most will agree that there is vibration in the back of the ship (particularly in Portofino and show lounge) there is mixed reaction of whether it bothers one or not. I was first on deck 9, and the next time in the lowest category of balcony cabins, and never had a problem in either. Reports are all over the place about the cabins. What is bothersome to one person is like white noise to another that puts them to sleep, other's say simply "what vibration?". I think that if you are looking for a problem, it will find you. Go and enjoy! It is a lovely ship.

Archived