Emarld Seas

I sailed on a ship called The Emarld Seas in 1981. I don't even remember the cruise line but it was my first cruise and I loved it! Does anyone know anything about this ship. We sailed out of Miami to Freeport and Nassau. Oh it is Emerald Seas....the edit function wouldn't let me change the title.

• 1 month later...

The Emerald Seas was our honeymoon cruise in 1977. It was a 4 night cruise out of Miami. I remember the velvet walls in our cabin. I think they were gold colored. We had an inside cabin with 2 twin beds.

They put us a table in the dining room with 2 other honeymooning couples. I remember just a few other things: being able to smoke pretty much anywhere on the ship, playing a lot of ping pong, an evening show with a guy who twirled fire batons and did the limbo, and finally the baked alaska parade(yes even in 1977 they did that). That was my first taste of cruising, and I LOVED it! My, how far the new ships have come!

Oh the Baked Alaska parade was awesome! We were on the Emarld Seas in 1982 during the fourth and they had sparklers going in them. It was my first cruise and I thought it was so awesome. We had a huge window in our room and I was so impressed, I don't think it had velvet walls though.

Yes, the walls were actually covered in something like a crushed velvet! And I was just thinking that our 4 night cruise in 1977 was $253 a person for an inside cabin. If you think about it, the cost of cruising hasn't really increased that much. 30 years later you could probably get a 4 night cruise in an inside cabin for not too much more than that!

My first cruise was also on this ship. At the time (1988), it sailed under Admiral Cruises. I thought she was huge! The service was top-notch and I remember the food as absolutely the best. There was a small tv which ran on dc power, only remember one dancing venue, one dining room, none of which ruined my cruise. I absolutely loved it!

I loved it too. I wish I knew how to post pictures because I have lots of pictures of the ship, both outside and inside. It was certainly a much more basic ship than what we have now, but at the time I thought it was awesome!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all of you for the wonderful memories. We, too, celebrated our honeymoon on the Emerald Seas over Thanksgiving in 1973. What a marvelous adventure. We rented a motor-bike on the dock and toured Nassau. The bike had no key, it was hot-wired. We returned for lunch, parked the bike under the gangway and asked one of the crew to keep an eye on it for us. Both he and the bike were gone when we came back, so we went back to the rental place. Finding no-one there, we assumed that they had picked up the bike and we just took another. We returned our new bike a few hours later and thought all was well. Wrong! The Nassau police came looking for me. They wouldn't let the ship leave until I was questioned, I refused to leave the ship. It was a mess. The Captain agreed to hold the ship until I returned, so I finally went to the police station to sort things out. They tried to bully me into paying for the first bike, but I refused. We were finally able to leave after two hours of threats, without paying for anything. Over the next few years we sailed 3 more times on the Emerald Seas and loved every one of the trips.

• 2 years later...

Hi, my first cruise was on the Emerald Seas (seems like in the 1800's). I am so interested in the pictures you mentioned . If you would, please call (days) at 305-401-6982. Thanx, Larry

Archived