Photo Ideas

gnu-attitude

I always take pictures of the water, just straight down off a balcony or something out at the water and then when it comes time for scrapbooking, I use those water pictures as title bars and either punch out my letters from that or use it as a backdrop for my sticker letters.

Not sure how "interesting" that is, but it's just something I'm always looking to do.

My wife photo shopped us into a lot of interesting places. Sitting on the front rail of the ship, on the back with a fishing line. My favorite was a combinations of several photos: me dressed up in my best suit blowing into my flat hand, she then cut a photo of herself standing in my hand (like they do at Disneyland) added some magic stars and farie wings the whole thing had a back drop of the Hubbard Glacier. She also made a lot of photos with us looking at whales and other wildlife, only we were a whole lot closer in the pitcher than we were in reality.

If you are using a digital camera pitchers are free -- take a lot (she took about 450 a day). Cut/paste interesting elements from several photos into one really cool picture.

Bugg

Get as many of your shipboard cruisemates to snap a picture of both of you in as many places on board as you can. When you take your camera on land in a town, get some of those same cruisemates to take your picture together in front of landmarks. You will see loads of people on land from your ship.

i always take a picture out or window each time we dock. makes for a nice start to each ports start. At least one picture of you next to the ship shows size. I like to get pictures of our waiters too they do so much and get to know us so well.

Once I ran off the ship to get a picture, previously taken by someone outside the off loading dock, I wasn't going to buy it then decided at the last minute. well dh stayed on and took picures of me buying the photo from inside the ship. made for a nice story.

I like getting unique shots - like the fantail of the ship, the water wake the ship leaves behind, the captain or officer waving down from the bridge, a porthole window framing the view of the sea, etc. Makes for interesting scrapbook pages.

I'm usually a solo cruiser, and I'm not shy about asking others to take my pic wherever I am, with different backgrounds. Nobody seems to mind at all. I don't care much for posed, grinning shots, so I usually ask that they take the pic of me talking to a local, or something similiar, more an action shot than picture perfect, y'know?

Love having fun with all those photos once I'm home. It can take days and days to get a cruise vacation scrapped, while reliving the memories.:)

I love taking pics as a hobby, and digital just makes it more fun.

Cotton has some great ideas.

I like to take shots of statues, flowers and other things. The trick that I often use is to focus on the subject, press the shutter half way down to focus, then move the camera so the subject is off center. You will have a subject perfectly in focus, and a soft focus background, it gives almost a 3-D effect.

Also just get a good sized memory card if you don't already have one, and take tons of pictures, take off your blinders and look for unusual shots, cool architectural details, interesting textures, and interesting lighting situations.

Have fun

MAC

I love to take pictures of our room door showing the number then the inside of the room as well. Also take pictures of the muster drill it is fun to scrap afterwards. Go to the map that shows the progress of the ship each day and take that too. Along with the tail. All are great to scrapbook afterwards. Like it has been said take lots of pictures if you have digital camera, you can always delete later. Have a great trip and great scrapping afterwards.:D

• 2 weeks later...

When ever we do a beach stop, I write our name or the date in the sand and take our pic's with it. I've also shot down at my own feet (toenails painted of course) as the waves gently broke over them (turned out really neat!) Always pics of the water in all it's many colors...turquoise to gray for punching out letters. Close ups of our fruity drinks with umbrellas before imbibing, then I cut those outs as die cuts for the page! And take pictures EVERYWHERE on the ship, one of my most beautiful ones was of the wall sculpture in the chapel on the RC Voyager of the Seas.

I have liked some beach pics I took in which I crouched down at sand level and took a pic of 2 family members, holding hands, walking AWAY down the beach, with their older footprints in the sand in the foreground in focus, and the people in the back/depth of the photo as they walk away. I also like to take detail pics when in port that shows a "signature" of that port. For instance, in Puerto Rico, the colorful buildings and doors are a feast for they eyes, so as I walked around the town doing whatever I had planned, I took pics of the most colorful doors and facades, just like I saw on the postcards. That is unique to Puerto Rico. In Key West, I took a pic of the Mel Fisher Museum with a wild rooster in front of the sign. Why ? Because Key West has a rich pirate history (Mel Fisher) and a very eclectic side (crazy roosters running in the streets), so I found it to be unique to Key West. I also love animals so I take pics of the animals we come across in different places. In St Maarten, we went to a beach bar and ordered two of the local beers. I took a closeup of the two beers, with condensation dripping down them, with the white sand and blue water and sky in the background. I took a second pic when they were empty, just for fun. Why ? Because it reminded me of the carefree, relaxing time we had there, just kicking back with a few beers on the beach. It's not always the people pics that trigger happy memories.

I like taking pics of the locals, especially children playing or interacting with eachother. Of course I take alot of pics of my family too ! When I go on vacation, I try to think to myself : What sights before me now do I want to remember when I'm home ? What do my eyes see as beautiful ? I take pics of whatever answers those questions for me... Sorry so long a reply, but I love photography !!

Amy

Does anyone know if RCI has a place to download your pics daily to a cd. Cruised on X and you could do this and clear out your memory card and not have to bring your laptop. Of course they charge a ridiculous price $15 I think for the cd but I thought it was worth it.

thanks

Heck for $15 now a days... You could buy a spare card and have more storage that way.

I also have an (relatively) inexpensive laptop that I bring with me, for the purpose of storing pictures for later.

I just had another idea while sitting here, If the ship has PC's you can use that have USB ports, then you could transfer pictures to a jump drive as well.

QUOTE]I always take pictures of the water, just straight down off a balcony or something out at the water and then when it comes time for scrapbooking, I use those water pictures as title bars and either punch out my letters from that or use it as a backdrop for my sticker letters.

:) thanks for the great idea! :)

Happy Sailing!

:D I do an ABC list of the pictures I want to take

A-All Aboard

B -Beaches

C-Cabin

D-

E-

F-Fantatistic Food

Anyway you get the idea. Then I do an ABC scrapbook when I get home.

D- drink of the day

E-every towel animal

F-

G-

Wow!

This is a great idea but harder than you would think.

We take our laptop with us as well. On our last cruise, we met a fun couple from our state and our daughters spent most of their waking moments together. We had tons of photos of the both of them. On the last night, I burned a CD with all of the photos of them and presented it as a last night present. Even though they live 6 hours from us, we do get to visit now and again...and they still comment about the photos. ;)

• 3 weeks later...
i always take a picture out or window each time we dock. makes for a nice start to each ports start.

This made me laugh when I remembered my last cruise. The curtains were closed on the "window" and we had to have a look even though we knew we had anj inside room.

Each port morning we dressed, opened the curtains and took a picture of ourselves (daughter and I) in our isand gear in front of our "window".:D

When friends looked at our album they had a giggle at our "view".

• 6 months later...
Does anyone know if RCI has a place to download your pics daily to a cd. Cruised on X and you could do this and clear out your memory card and not have to bring your laptop. Of course they charge a ridiculous price $15 I think for the cd but I thought it was worth it.

thanks

You can do this at the photo department.

D- drink of the day

E-every towel animal

F-

G-

Wow!

This is a great idea but harder than you would think.

G- Gorgeous evening dresses

H- handsome waiters

I- International flags

now its someone elses turn. What a great idea!!

s - sunsets 0r sunrise

t - terminals of the different ports

u - underwater shots!!

what different cameras do you all have? I have a Panasonic Lumix - 7 mg with 6 zoom -- need to upgrade altho' I just bought this last NOv... interested in a Sony - bigger camera with 8 mgs and maybe 10 or 12 zoom - any suggestions? Thank You... Corkey

I want to take some unique pix to do my scapbooking, any ideas?

We once took a picture of my wife running toward the dock waving her hands. Of course every one thought she was nuts, but they always think we are the crazy people on board. So, it looks like she is being left behind.

I take a lot of black and white sun sets. I also take pictures of strangers. Cause people are interesting. Just takes lost of pics. Between my wife and me we usually shoot over a 1000 pics in 7 days.

Archived