Digital Camera Help

My fiancé and I want to buy a digital camera, we have got it narrowed down to either the Fuji finepix S3000 and the canon powershot A75, both are the same price, and use the same memory cards. Has anyone had any experience with either of these cameras? Things to look for.. things to avoid..., any info would be greatly appreciated, I am completely unfamiliar with digital photography, SLR is more up my alley, and have done my own developing in the past so I do know my way around a good camera.

Thanks

The soon to be Mrs. Phar

The Canon will have truer color reproduction. The Fuji's are fine cameras but it's been my experience with both brands that canon digital cameras have richer and more lifelike colors ( I find that some Fujis tend to impart a greenish tint to flesh tones). The Canon Powershot line of cameras are an excellent value and are very easy to use.

My fiancé and I want to buy a digital camera, we have got it narrowed down to either the Fuji finepix S3000 and the canon powershot A75, both are the same price, and use the same memory cards. Has anyone had any experience with either of these cameras? Things to look for.. things to avoid..., any info would be greatly appreciated, I am completely unfamiliar with digital photography, SLR is more up my alley, and have done my own developing in the past so I do know my way around a good camera.

Thanks

The soon to be Mrs. Phar

We have a Canon Powershot (G3) and it takes great pictures. We just set it on automatic and it does a wonderful job - some of my Alaska pictures turned out so good, I had them enlarged, printed and framed!

Mrs.Pharlin,

If you are thinking about the Fuji S3000 I would suggest stepping up to the S5000. That is the digital camera I am currently using. I looked at both the S3000 and S5000. I chose the S5000 because of the optical zoom, 10X as opposed to the S3000 6X. Please feel free to visit my web site and click on the link to view our most recent Caribbean Princess cruise photos. All were taken with the Fuji FinePix S5000.

Bruce

What is the megapixel factor on those cameras? You really should stay at 3 or above if you want to print out large photos. I have an olympus 5050 and it has worked well for us. Another factor is to ask about how long the battery life is on those cameras and do they come with a charger.

I would suggest looking at Digital Photography Review:

http://www.dpreview.com/

They have very good, unbiased reviews of most of the digital cameras on the market along with sample pictures.

The Digital Camera Resource Page:

http://www.dcresource.com/

is another good source of reviews of recent digital camera models.

• 5 weeks later...

I Too Am Researching For A Dig Camera. My Son Likes Canon And He Does Professional Photography. I Looked At The S1 Is As I Tend To Shake The Camera Sometimes But The Camera Seems Large For Me. I Would Like One About 4 To 6 Oz. The Si Is 13 Oz. Plus Equipment. The Sales Person At Best Buys Said The Fuji Is A Great Camera For The Price. I Checked Price Grabber Website And Found Some Great Prices But They Tell You All About The Cameras. So, All In All I Am Still Confused As To What I Want. The Cruise Is Getting Closer And Closer And Here I Am Without A Dig Camera. Let Me Know What You Find Out. I Need A Point And Shoot, Weighs Next To Nothing And An Idiot Can Work It. Thanks, Good Luck

One thing to keep in mind is the batteries. I know the Fuji cmaeras only use alkaline batteries. Over time this could get expensive. Make sure to find a camera that can take rechargabel batteries

im still wondering if i can have reg prints made from digital images?

any answers?

thanks

dean & alice:)

I had a canon (until it was stolen in London) :( but when I buy another one this fall, it will be another canon. Great product. Great pictures. Was so happy with it that I'll get another one without a doubt!

Definitely do some research though, the links that were provided above are great for camera research. Figure out what is important to you...do you have to have a camera that takes short movie clips? Do you want to use a certain type of media. What's the lowest megapixel number you want to go with, etc.

Well, Today I Decided To Buy An Inexpensive Camera For My First One. I Chose The Gateway T50 With 5.25 Megapixels, 3x Optical And 4x Digital. Best Buys Has It On Sale In This Weeks Ad For 149.00 And I Was Ready Last Week To Purchase It For 199.00. Glad I Waited. I Checked With Pricegrabber And A Few Others And They Had Some Good Reviews So Here I Am Trying To Read This Manual And I Am Not Only Computer Stupid But Camera Stupid As Well. But So Far I Have Managed To Put The Battery In The Camera (lith Battery) And Am Charging It. I Hope To Try It Out Tomorrow On My 4 Yr Old Grand Daughter. So, Thanks Again I Am Now Getting Ready To Try To Shoot Decent Pictures. Good Luck

im still wondering if i can have reg prints made from digital images?

any answers?

thanks

dean & alice:)

We speak the same language, LOL.

Yes you most definitely can get regular prints from a digital camera. My DD and I went on a cruise with a dig. camera each. On our return, we stopped by Walmart and had double copies "and" a CD of each camera. Now we each have pics of both cameras.

By the way, people have ask is this a pic or a postcard when looking at our pics. and believe me, we certainly have no clue as to what we are doing with a camera.

Good luck to you.

Its all well and good buying a 4-5 megapixel camera but dont fall in to the trap of using it on a lower setting.

When using digital you sometimes get the option of saving files in a lower resolution to get more images on you card. This defeats the object of buying a 4-5 mp camera in the first place. Always use the highest setting.

Thanks

The soon to be Mrs. Phar

Not sure what criteria you are looking for..byt i have the c50 Olympus..5.0 megapixel..incredible camera..reasonable price on internet at under $350 ..you might want to check it out..it also has a great underwater case i picked up for cruisin diving days~

life's a beach~

I have a 4.0 mega pixel Sony with a memory stick, and have, I think, 125 megabytes (or whatever they call it) that stores over 275 or more photos. There's a larger memory stick that will store over 300 photos. It's got a "Carl Zeiss" lens, and I never heard of the guy, but some photo people I know said, "Wow, that's a good lens." Maybe it is, maybe it ain't, I am no expert.

ANyway, I love my camera, it's wonderful. Instant pictures and there are those small photo printers you can buy if you don't want to use the big regular computer printers. You can e-mail photos to anybody instantly with the USB cable, hook it up to any computer and save photos as a slide show. My camera came with special cable attachments that can also be attached to a smaller TV set and you can view the photos as a slide show that way also.

Outdoor pictures are just magnificent. But when there's lots of snow and it's ultrabright I have to adjust the camera a certain way or else the whole picture is almost white. AND - either it's me or the camera, but when you are indoors with a digital camera, if the subject is not standing stone stiff not moving, images are blurry. Sometimes the lighting throws the photos off whack too. It's like you press the button but it doesn't snap split second like it does outdoors, it's like a delayed shutter click. But I am still learning.

I took my camera to a wedding, and the indoor photos had blurry images of people walking down the aisle and stuff like that. Does anybody know what I should do to correct this or is this just one of those problems with most digital cameras? It just doesn't seem to take those action photos outside either, they also turn out blurry.

1 question: once pictures are taken with a dig. camera..can they be made into "prints" like reg. film?

sorry if this is a stupid question!

Not at all a stupid question. The answer is yes. I have my prints made at Costco for $.19 each for the 4 x 6 size. I think they look better than point and shoot film camera photos and way better than disposable film cameras. I often use Photoshop Elements to improve the image before printing, something that is hard to do with film. Digital is way cheaper than film. You print only the good images and you don't have to buy the film or pay to have the film processed just to see if any of the photos you took turned out good.

Canon makes excellent cameras. They usually use compact flash cards for their storage media which are cheaper overall than any other storage card. Many of the Canon camera also use AA sized batteries which I prefer as rechargeable AA batteries are less expensive than the special batteries some cameras take. AA batteries can also be purchased most anywhere if the emergency arises. As an added bonus for someone that wants to protect their camera for water or sand, they also make underwater housings for many of their cameras. They have a depth rating of at least 100ft and offer access to all the controls on the camera. Even if you only snorkel, river raft or ride on water rides at an amusement park, an underwater housing is an excellent investment.

Check digideep to see if the camera you have or are considering has a housing available.

• 2 weeks later...

In the end... this statement is a as true as it gets. Don't be fooled by gimicks and toys. Picture quality and versilitility is the main goal. Read the reviews and go to your local best buy and play with it first. Do your shopping. www.pricegrabber.com is good pricing site.

I have a Poweshot G5 Digital Still Camera. (love it) I also bought a Canon Optura Xi DV (with 2MP Digital Camera). I boughtthem both from www.electricsam.com and I also purchased the 4 year extended Warranty. Well worth is since my Panasonic DV broke 1.5 years into owning it.

If you have looked at the canon line... PLease take another look. Canon is an industry leader in optics and Imaging products.

Chris

...I took my camera to a wedding, and the indoor photos had blurry images of people walking down the aisle and stuff like that. Does anybody know what I should do to correct this or is this just one of those problems with most digital cameras? It just doesn't seem to take those action photos outside either, they also turn out blurry.
Some digital cameras have a hard time focusing in low contrast situations because there's nothing for the focus mechanism for your camera to "grab" on to. An example of a low contrast situation would be an indoor photo where the light is so-so. Everything in the picture you're trying to take looks the same to your camera so it can't focus properly.

But that situation can be remedied. Here's a common solution: find a high contrast item that's approximately the same distance from your camera that your subject is. Focus on that and check your "focus light". On my camera, it's a green light that blinks when the picture is NOT focused properly; the green light is steady when the picture is in focus. OK, so you focus on that high contrast item....once you know that the item is in focus, keep your shutter pressed half-way down. Don't move that finger :p . Then frame your subject and press the shutter all the way down to take your picture.

This is what's worked for every digital I've owned so far. But I've never owned a Sony, so you may just want to check the troubleshooting section of your manual for how to correct that with your particular camera model.

Action photos can be blurry for yet another reason: the action is too quick for your camera to "freeze". Some cameras come with settings you can change to correct that. Others do not. You need to check your owner's manual to see of your camera has that capability.

A good place where you can get help is the forum section of Digital Photography Review: http://www.dpreview.com/. They have forums dedicated to different digital camera makes like Sony, Kodak, Canon, Olympus, etc.

Hi....

My wife and I both have Kodak .... her's is the one that uses the easy dock.... which has a power supply in it. It will also charge your batt.'s. Whichever you deside on .... take my advise and buy rechargeable batt.'s. Oh... one more thing... don't buy any camera with our a LCD picture on it to review the shot you just took. Hope this helps...

LARRY

I have a canon digital rebel and LOVE it. Yes if you want to print anything over a 5x7 then yes I suggest getting a camera that has at least 4 or 5 megapixels. The more mgeapxl the better and larger prints you can do!

I agree completely...I looooove my Canon Digital Rebel, plus since it's a digital SLR you can get different lenses for your needs. That's what I'm taking on my cruise in December, plus on the ship (at least on Explorer of the Seas it was) 14.99 to have a cd burned from the media card, then you can pick and choose which ones you want to have printed when you get back :-)

Good luck!

I agree completely...I looooove my Canon Digital Rebel, plus since it's a digital SLR you can get different lenses for your needs. That's what I'm taking on my cruise in December, plus on the ship (at least on Explorer of the Seas it was) 14.99 to have a cd burned from the media card, then you can pick and choose which ones you want to have printed when you get back :-)

Good luck!

Bring Extra Media cards and sort thru them when you get home.

I'm a big fan of not spening money where you dont have to. :)

I picked up a Lexar 512 Meg Compact Flash (40x) for $45 bucks!

Holds over 200 pictures in High Res on my Powershot G5.

I like the Rebel too... But it's just too big to carry around. I opted for the Non SLR model simply because it was much more compact and totally automatic. (My wife likes that.) But for true quality.. there is nothing like an SLR.

Chris

Archived