Help! Bought a dvd off the ship and it will not work.

littlejo

We just came back today from a cruise on glory ( carnival) and my hubby and I was on the newlywed game on the ship with wee Jimmy. We wanted our daughter to see this so we bought the dvd. When we went to pick it up, the guy at the photo lab said the man who was suppose to make them had not made them all and to please come back in 10 minutes. we went and ate and went back and he had it then. we paid for it and went back to the room. there is no dvd players in the staterooms and we just trusted that it would work. Well, it wont play. It goes about 3-4 min. into it and then stops. I have no clue how to contact anyone about this. I realllllllly want this dvd since we are on it and wee Jimmy actually made my hubby propse to me again. ( we won the contest of who had the most horrible marriage proposal) Our daughter wants to see this too. What do I do about this?? any ideas???

How disappointing for you! I have no experience with DVDs but do have some with a video cassette that I bought aboard a ship.

There may be a company name. address. phone number somewhere on the package the DVD is in. If so, use that information to contact the company and explain your situation. I would do this as soon as possible just in case that particular videos from a given cruise are discarded after a certain period of time.

I hope this will be of some help.

I hate to say that you're probably out of luck. My husband was featured on stage on our Carnival cruise and it was hilarious. We didn't purchase the DVD on board but tried to when we got home. I was told they do not keep anything past the cruise so we missed our chance. You might try contacting Carnival to atleast get your money back. You might also post a request on the Carnival board in case anyone was on your cruise and did purchase it or perhaps filmed it. Maybe they could get you a copy somehow.

• 3 weeks later...

Have you tried washing the DVD? I sometimes do that when I get discs from Netflix that won't play right.

Just wash with a tiny bit of dishwashing liquid and water, and gently rub with your fingertips in a 'spoke' fashion (straight from center to outside rim), not a circular motion. Gently dry with a lint-free cloth.

I hope this works for you. It sure would be disappointing to not have this memory forever. Getting your $$ back is probably the least of your concerns.

T

Never heard of that, happy it worked. More than likely it was something that happened in the burning process. I have never burned a DVD, but have burned CDs and I know there is a process it goes through to finish so that it can be played on something other than a computer. If your computer plays DVDs you might see if it will play there.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

We were on the Pride in October 07. We bought 2 DVDs from the cruise. We decided to watch the DVDs, but they also would not work. We then tried it in another DVD player and it worked. Maybe you should try it in another player and see what happens. Just a thought. If it doesn't work I definately would be calling Carnival to complain. It seems like alot of people are having trouble with these cruise DVDs.

I hope you get it to work.

Debbie :)

• 2 months later...
We just came back today from a cruise on glory ( carnival) and my hubby and I was on the newlywed game on the ship with wee Jimmy. We wanted our daughter to see this so we bought the dvd. When we went to pick it up, the guy at the photo lab said the man who was suppose to make them had not made them all and to please come back in 10 minutes. we went and ate and went back and he had it then. we paid for it and went back to the room. there is no dvd players in the staterooms and we just trusted that it would work. Well, it wont play. It goes about 3-4 min. into it and then stops. I have no clue how to contact anyone about this. I realllllllly want this dvd since we are on it and wee Jimmy actually made my hubby propse to me again. ( we won the contest of who had the most horrible marriage proposal) Our daughter wants to see this too. What do I do about this?? any ideas???

Sometimes the DVD's are written in a certain format, DVD+ or DVD- and may not bewritten in both the DVD+- format. I know I used to have problem with DVD's I burned on my newer PC and either + or - format.

My dvd player was older so that may be the case for your. I recently bought a new DVD player which support all formats and they worked fine.

Archived