Seattles Best vs. Starbucks vs. Dunkin Donuts coffee

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Maine
1,329 Posts
Joined Mar 2003
I have never even heard of Seattles Best so I am wondering if it is closer to Starbucks (which I think grows hair on my chest ) or more like Dunkin Donuts?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Happy Sailings!

2018 Carnival Conquest
2017 Celebrity Silhouette
2016 Adventure of the Seas
2015 Adventure of the Seas
2014 Explorer of the Seas
2013 Explorer of the Seas
2008 Adventure of the Seas
2007 Crown Princess
2006 Crown Princess
2005 Caribbean Princess
2004 Majesty of the Seas
2004 Carnival Inspiration
2003 Dawn Princess
2000 Carnival Destiny
Vienna, VA
2,822 Posts
Joined Aug 2006
Seattles best or starbucks - I am a dunkin donuts fan....which by the way is the offical coffee of jetblue!

Kathy
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Nov 2017 - Harmony of the Seas
Nov 2015 - Regal Princess
Nov 2014 - Oasis of the Seas
Nov 2013 - Independence of the Seas
Nov 2012 - Oasis of the Seas
Nov 2011 - Freedom of the Seas
Nov 2010 - Oasis of the Seas
Nov 2009 - Liberty - Carnival
Nov 2008 - Mariner
Nov 2007 - Liberty
Nov 2006 - Zuiderdam
Nov 2005 - Mariner
Nov 2004 - Navigator
And many, many others
Maine
1,329 Posts
Joined Mar 2003
Originally posted by kathyemma
Seattles best or starbucks - I am a dunkin donuts fan....which by the way is the offical coffee of jetblue!

Kathy
Me too, that is why I am hoping people tell me that Seattles Best taste more like dunkies then Starbucks.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Happy Sailings!

2018 Carnival Conquest
2007 Crown Princess
2006 Crown Princess
2005 Caribbean Princess
2004 Majesty of the Seas
2003 Dawn Princess
2000 Carnival Destiny
17,908 Posts
Joined Jun 2002
Seattle's Best (SBC for short)is actually OWNED by Starbucks! I think it is better than Starbucks AND D&D. Just my opinion.....I'm kind of a Wawa girl, or QuikChek or 7-11.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cape Liberty Info blog

Cruise Photo Albums

My Cruise History:
Royal-too many to count, X-3, NCL-2, CCL-too many to count, MSC-1, HAL-1
So many cruises, so little time and money!

illegitmi non carborundum kmt
Los Angeles, CA
245 Posts
Joined Dec 2006
Originally posted by BonnieSte
I have never even heard of Seattles Best so I am wondering if it is closer to Starbucks (which I think grows hair on my chest ) or more like Dunkin Donuts?
I prefer Stabucks over Seattles Best, but if Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf is available then I go there.

The Vision has a Seattles Best stand on Deck 6.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
The world is a book, those who do not travel read only one page. - St. Augustine -
--------------------------------------------------
Land Vacation - Israel - November 2008
Land Vacation - Peru and Bolivia - April 2008
Vision of the Seas - Alaska - September 2007
Land Vacation - Greece - June 2007
Land Vacation - Spain and Portugal - November 2006
Land Vacation - Egypt - May 2006
Land Vacation - England and Northern Italy - May 2005
Land Vacation - Morocco - March 2004
Monarch of the Seas - Mexico - July 2003
Land Vacation - Mexico - 1999
Land Vacation - England, Paris, Switzerland, Holland, and Belgium - July 1997
Maine
1,329 Posts
Joined Mar 2003
Originally posted by megr1125
Seattle's Best (SBC for short)is actually OWNED by Starbucks! I think it is better than Starbucks AND D&D. Just my opinion.....I'm kind of a Wawa girl, or QuikChek or 7-11.
When you say better, does that mean softer, smoother or even stronger make hair grow not only on your chest but from your ears too?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Happy Sailings!

2018 Carnival Conquest
2007 Crown Princess
2006 Crown Princess
2005 Caribbean Princess
2004 Majesty of the Seas
2003 Dawn Princess
2000 Carnival Destiny
4,737 Posts
Joined Aug 2005
I was surprised to see that Borders serves SBC. Funny, and I like it when it's served there, just not in the WJ or dining room on RCI.

Maybe it's the water?
Maine
1,329 Posts
Joined Mar 2003
Originally posted by L&JCruiseAway
I was surprised to see that Borders serves SBC. Funny, and I like it when it's served there, just not in the WJ or dining room on RCI.

Maybe it's the water?
Water can definately change the flavor of coffee, putting that aside, can you or anyone give me a comparison between Starbucks vs Seattles Best? (ie one is stronger or one is smoother, one has more flavor, etc?)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Happy Sailings!

2018 Carnival Conquest
2007 Crown Princess
2006 Crown Princess
2005 Caribbean Princess
2004 Majesty of the Seas
2003 Dawn Princess
2000 Carnival Destiny
13,514 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
I am a Dunkin Donuts drinker and I found the Seattle's Best to be not as strong as Starbucks (thank god) but not as good as Dunkin's. It doesn't have that burnt taste like Starbucks but doesn't taste the same as my favorite Dunkin's. It is definitely drinkable even to those who drink it black like us.
Maine
1,329 Posts
Joined Mar 2003
Originally posted by reallyitsmema
I am a Dunkin Donuts drinker and I found the Seattle's Best to be not as strong as Starbucks (thank god) but not as good as Dunkin's. It doesn't have that burnt taste like Starbucks but doesn't taste the same as my favorite Dunkin's. It is definitely drinkable even to those who drink it black like us.
THANK YOU! That is what I was looking for, I totally agree with Starbucks tasting burnt. Do they have flavored kinds too?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Happy Sailings!

2018 Carnival Conquest
2007 Crown Princess
2006 Crown Princess
2005 Caribbean Princess
2004 Majesty of the Seas
2003 Dawn Princess
2000 Carnival Destiny
13,514 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
THANK YOU! That is what I was looking for, I totally agree with Starbucks tasting burnt. Do they have flavored kinds too?
I am not sure if they have flavored or not. We only had the free coffee that was set up in Cafe Promenade when we were on the Mariner. I never even looked to see what they had up at the bar area where you order lattes and stuff. Hopefully someone else knows.
3,297 Posts
Joined Jul 2005
It's drinkable but not great.

I don't remember seeing the flavored kind, but maybe it varies by ship. There is also an area to order Latte's for a fee. There might be flavored coffee there.
Maine
1,329 Posts
Joined Mar 2003
I am not sure if they have flavored or not. We only had the free coffee that was set up in Cafe Promenade when we were on the Mariner. I never even looked to see what they had up at the bar area where you order lattes and stuff. Hopefully someone else knows.
thank you mema, are you a memiere?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Happy Sailings!

2018 Carnival Conquest
2007 Crown Princess
2006 Crown Princess
2005 Caribbean Princess
2004 Majesty of the Seas
2003 Dawn Princess
2000 Carnival Destiny
Maine
1,329 Posts
Joined Mar 2003
gotta run, thank you everyone and have a safe and wonderful weekend!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Happy Sailings!

2018 Carnival Conquest
2007 Crown Princess
2006 Crown Princess
2005 Caribbean Princess
2004 Majesty of the Seas
2003 Dawn Princess
2000 Carnival Destiny
13,514 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
thank you mema, are you a memiere?
I hope not!! My son is only 16 I used itsme as a name years ago on one site and it was used when I went to a gaming site so I added the really and it was used so I added the MA for Massachusetts. I am usually called Mema now though and most think I have grandkids lol Hopefully that isn't the case for another 10 years
Liberty, MO
2,216 Posts
Joined Feb 2002
I agree with you 200% -- until the stores here where I lived started selling Seattle's Best ground coffee, we were hooked on Starbucks. HOWEVER, Target just started selling Dunkin' Donuts coffee, and having grown up on the East Coast with Dunkin' Donuts, I stocked up! I can only imagine what the cashier was thinking when I bought half-dozen bags of Dunkin' Donuts coffee . . . LOL.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carnival Breeze, December 2015; Carnival Glory, December 2013; Carnival Triumph, February 2013; Carnival Miracle, March 2012; Crown Princess, June 2007, 20th Anniversary; RCI Voyager of the Seas, Thanksgiving 2004; Carnival Paradise, Thanksgiving 2003; Carnival Fantasy, January 2002 - the start of it all
Chicago by way of Boston and NOLA
16,948 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
I think the Seattle's Best at the Promenade is the best cruise ship coffee I have had. I dislike Dunkin Donuts coffee as even drunken black it tastes watered down and weak; it just doesn't have that true coffee taste. I like authentic coffee, so Starbucks is definitely #1 in my book out of the chains, but Seattle's Best is decent. It is not as strong as Starbucks so people who can't handle Starbucks' coffee may find Seattle's Best to be good. It does not have the weak coffee-wanna-be taste like DD though, so if you are one of those who thinks Starbucks is "burnt" rather than strong, you may prefer the Windjammer coffee machine (made with syrup rather than brewed) to Seattle's Best.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming Cruises:
Celebrity Infiniti - December 8, 2017 - Chili & Argentina (Around the Horn)!
Celebrity Edge - April 14, 2019 - Western Caribbean

Completed Cruises:
Celebrity Summit - November 26, 2016 - Southern Caribbean (Penthouse Goofs Again)
Celebrity Xpedition - October 5, 2014 - Galapagos (Seals, Penguins and Boobies, Oh My)!
RCI Allure of the Seas - September 2, 2012 - Eastern Caribbean (Aft Boardwalk Balcony; 24 Restaurants in 7 Days)!
Celebrity Millennium - May 27, 2012 - Pacific Coastal Wine Cruise with Temecula, San Diego, and Vancouver Land Add On (Sky Suite GTY)
Celebrity Millennium - February 20, 2012 - Western Caribbean (Adult Spring Break: SoBe, Millie & The Penthouse)
Celebrity Silhouette - September 27, 2011 - Holy Land (Concierge Class)
Celebrity Equinox - October 31, 2010 - Mediterranean & Westbound Transatlantic with the Hobgoblins (First Suite)
Celebrity Equinox - December 4, 2009 - Southern Caribbean (Aqua Class "Hump" Stateroom)
RCI Jewel of the Seas - January 9, 2009 - Panama Canal Cruise with the Panamaniacs!
Celebrity Century - April 28, 2008 - Transatlantic: Miami to Amsterdam Honeymoon Cruise with the Centurions!
HAL Noordam - May 13, 2007 - Alaska Inside Passage
RCI Adventure of the Seas - November 26, 2006 - Eastern Caribbean
RCI Grandeur of the Seas - February 11, 2006 - Western Caribbean
RCI Enchantment of the Seas - January 8, 2005 - Western Caribbean
17,908 Posts
Joined Jun 2002
When you say better, does that mean softer, smoother or even stronger make hair grow not only on your chest but from your ears too?
No growth! (char)bucks over roasts the beans....so i think it is a little muddy-but i will drink their 'light note' brews.

also, SBC doesn't cause me bad stomach stuff....not that starbucks does all the time, but, it's hard to explain....

coffee is sooooo personal and subjective.......i actually don't mind the coffee on RC's ships....and it's concentrate.

toodles
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cape Liberty Info blog

Cruise Photo Albums

My Cruise History:
Royal-too many to count, X-3, NCL-2, CCL-too many to count, MSC-1, HAL-1
So many cruises, so little time and money!

illegitmi non carborundum kmt
Rio Rancho, NM
488 Posts
Joined Jul 2006
I'm assuming we are talking about brewed coffee and not espresso.

Comparing Starbucks, SBC, and Dunkin Donuts is like comparing beer. There are certain ones people like and certain ones they don't. Some people love light beer in a can, while others prefer a local microbrew. Some people would never touch a beer darker than a light yellow color. Some would never think of drinking a beer they could see through. I for one prefer darker beer on tap or from a bottle. However if Coors Light cans were the only ones available, I would drink that.

I love, love, love Starbucks and SBC is a close second. I recently fell in love with SBC's organic French Roast. I brew that at home. I'll drink DD if that is the only kind available.

And like BonnieSte said, the water used to brew it definitely does make a difference in the final outcome.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
-Rachel

10/08/2006 - Carnival Conquest (Honeymoon) - W. Carib
10/08/2007 - RC Enchantment of the Seas - W. Carib.
05/30/2008 - RC Rhapsody of the Seas - Alaska
03/22/2009 - RC Freedom of the Seas - E. Carib.
ohio (neo)
30 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
hey all

in feb on ROS they had the flavored shots that could be added to the coffee. I personally thought that Seattles Best was very strong. I do the funny thing here in town I hit starbucks for the espresso brownies then hit Dunkin Donuts for the coffee everyone in my office laughed until I started them on brownies and coffee now we take turns getting it. LOL!!!