Straw Market in Nassau

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 05:15 AM.
1,399 Posts
Joined Jul 2004
Does anyone know what time the straw market opens?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
31 cruises and 207 fabulous days at sea,
starting on the RCCL Sun Viking in 1981

Royal Caribbean Diamond Plus
Celebrity Captain's Club Elite
Disney Castaway Club Silver
118 Posts
Joined Jul 2003
Not sure what time it opens, but they bug you to death to buy. Some can be quite nasty. However, it is something to see. Most of the vendors have very similar things. If you buy a conch shell, make sure it does not smell. Some are not cleaned properly. They are placed by the door of many homes there for good luck. We bought one that is fine.
Lancaster County, PA
1,870 Posts
Joined Sep 2003
I had a great time at the straw market. After living overseas I consider myself a pretty good bargainer. They were actually getting ticked off at me and not bugging me at all
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sensation 3/99
Majesty 12/03
Jewel 11/04
Enchantment 2/06
Majesty 1/09
Freedom 8/09
Grandeur 12/13
Grandeur 12/14
Adventure 3/5/16
Adventure 3/12/16
Oasis 3/5/17

Lakeland, Fl, USA
41 Posts
Joined Mar 2001
Where is the straw Market. I know there is one that once you walk on the the 1st roadway you turn right but it is only I story. I wouls love to go to the big one.

Lisa
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
12,042 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
Lisa,
The two-story market burned to the ground Sept 2001. It's been replaced, temporarily buy a huge Tent just a block west of where the old one stood. The recent hurricanes did some damage to the current market, but it's back up and running.

There are smaller versions of the Straw Market at Cable Beach and at Paradise Island, but the one you want to experience is located just west of the dock, just a few yards off the pier. Have fun.
Ottawa, Ontario Canada
365 Posts
Joined Jul 2004
Not sure how true it is, but rumour has it that the vendors believe the first sale is an omen for the rest of the day. So arriving early gives you extra bargaining power - especially if you look to buy multiple items from a single vendor.

But yes, they are aggressive in their selling. We were constantly being hailed with "Hey, pretty lady" and "Big Mon!". They do expect resistance, so don't feel shy to be bold with your "no thanks".
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
----------------------------------
Here's to tall ships, small ships, and ships that sail the seas
But the best ships are friendships,
May they ever be