Feedback for Pier 66 or Renaissance?

Spot

These are two hotels that I hear most about for Ft Lauderdale pre-cruise - can anyone tell me the best way to go about being able to secure one of these two hotels through Priceline.

Also, I would appreciate some feedback on which hotel will give us the best pre-cruise experience.

Cruise is in late September.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Hyatt Pier 66 is a 4* Beach side hotel in Ft. Lauderdale. It has a great revolving lounge in its tower. Even if you don't stay here, stop by for a sunset drink. The Mariott Marina is a 3* hotel on the Downtown side (just across the Intercoastal Waterway from the Hyatt) and a great property for a one night pre-cruise stay if won on Priceline for a decent price. Renaissance is the newest high rise hotel just across the streeet and around the corner from the Marrriott. It is probably a 3 1/2* hotel which people often win as an upgrade on priceline. They are the 3 closest hotels to the port, thus taxi fare is reasonable. Other good choice is 3* Embassy Suites on 17th Street just about 4 blocks from the bridge.

Bon Voyage

Pier 66 is not located directly on the beach, but is a true resort that overlooks the Intercoastal Waterway and Port Everglades. It is an excellent property, well located, well cared for, with beautiful facilities and friendly staff. The Water Taxi can be caught at the hotel's Marina and is an easy and inexpensive way to travel around Fort Lauderdale(it provides a cheap sightseeing tour of the area, if nothing else).

The Renaissance is just a hotel, located in what I feel is a rather cramped space in a small shopping area. It lacks the diverse facilities that one finds at Pier 66 and is a few minutes walk to where the Water Taxi can be caught. I visited both the Renaissance and the Marina Marriott while I was in Fort Lauderdale awaiting my Royal Princess cruise last March and certainly was glad that I had again chosen to stay at the Pier 66.

I've not been there yet, we go next week, but we got the Marriott Harbor Beach on Priceline for $88 per night pre cruise and the Renaissance for $80 per night post-cruise. Will let you know how they were upon our return.

We stayed at the pier 66 in March before our Grand Princess cruise because I had heard so much about it that was positive. We booked it on priceline for $135(spring break time) and did not know that all rooms booked there through Priceline are in the 2 story building behind the main building tower only. An upgrade to the tower will only happen when additional charges are levied and the rooms are available. The room we stayed in near the pool was on the first level and was disgusting. There were hairs all over the bathroom, the carpet was filthy and the room was in general disrepair. We spoke with a manager who had us look at 2 other rooms that were available and they were not much better. We stayed in the same room as it was only 2 nights but we will not stay there again. I was very disappointed.

Cool Cruiser,

We also got stuck, and at a much higher price, in one of those marina bldg. rooms: so humid the ac couln't dry it out or get rid of the awful smell; cig. burns in the carpet(of a NS room, yet!); absolutely DISGUSTING "balcony"(we were surrounded by concrete and the water from the rain the pm before left puddles that would not drain - MOLD/MILDEW everywhere); Mismatched furniture that was damaged; TV and 2 lamps did not work; dirty, esp. the dated bathroom - EEEEWWWW!!! It was so bad I did, for me, the unusual and rare: COMPLAINED USING ALL THESE FACTS AND FIRMLY DEMANDED A MUCH BETTER ROOM. At first, the manager (of facilities?) was curt and condescending, but I showed no temper and no sign of relenting, just told him this was simply unacceptable. Though he clearly didn't want to, He moved us to a GORGEOUS 11th floor room in the Tower(the view was BREATHTAKING) with luxurious bedding and many wonderful amenities. It was about a $40/nt difference, but of course we did not pay an extra penny.

Regardless, I will not stay there again. Those marina rooms are a disgrace; Hyatt should be ashamed and embarrassed, esp. considering the price. "Pity

the poor fool..." BE FOREWARNED.

Barb

For our upcoming Oct. cruise I had bid $75 on Priceline for FLL downtown 3* trying to get either the Marriott Marina or Embassy Suites. I won the bid and they "upgraded" me to the 4* Renaissance so I'm very happy. There have been a lot of mixed reviews on the Hyatt Pier 66 so I am thrilled with getting the Renaissance.

Let us know what hotel you get!

I am surprised at the reported experiences of malony33 and Colo Cruiser. Over the years, I have stayed frequently at Pier 66, first visit being in 1975( it was owned then by Phillips Petroleum(Phillips 66), hence, the name Pier 66). My room choice is in the Lanai Building, a two story building separate from the Tower Building(but connected by a covered walkway). The rooms look out onto the garden and pool area or onto the marina. All have a patio or balcony. The garden view rooms' patios/balconies offer a somewhat more private venue than do the marina view rooms. Never have I found conditions in these rooms as the previous posters reported. The rooms and their up-keep were at a 4 star level. Certainly, complaints to management would be warranted if the conditions described were in evidence. I have another reservation at Pier 66(two, in fact) for January and February, 2005 and I will report if I do not have another pleasant pre-cruise and post-cruise stay.

Now I'm afraid to book - geez, have read so many good things about both of these hotels and now I'm hearing the worst - but I'm thankful for everyone's experiences as it does help me make the most informed decision.

I wanted a room that would allow us to view the cruise ships docking in the morning to put us in the frame of mind :D . Appears that I may have to splurge and reserve a room at more of a premium price to do that.

I appreciate and respect everyone's opinions as no two people are alike.

I will continue to check back however to see if anyone else can add to this thread.

Thanks Everyone - HAPPY CRUISIN :p

Malony33 and Colo Cruiser,

I have to agree with your experience at the Pier 66. I booked 3 rooms (thru priceline) for a Feb stay. Our rooms were in the Lanai building with a pool view. All 3 were disgusting! Mold mildew stinky smelly dirty....what other words can I use?

Although the Lobby is pretty, the restaurant service is slow to nil - food is pretty poor. I will not stay there and have been making the same reccomendation as you - don't book it you'll be disappointed!!!!

It is not a four star hotel by any means - I usually stay in 4 or 5 star hotels for both business and pleasure. I booked for 85/nite on priceline based on everyone's reccomendations - I was quite proud of myself for getting such a good deal....:(. Normal rates were in the 200+ range - I figured I was OK. I was quite disppointed as you can tell. The room rate should have been 39/nite!

Have a nice day!

We had a very good experience at the Hyatt 66 in March before our QM2 cruise. We got the 66 for $90 on priceline (others were getting it for only $80, so I guess I overbid). We had a ground level room on the Intercoastal Waterway. The room was quire large and clean.

I have been so sad that I booked the Renaissance and did not hold out for the Pier 66. Well spitfire am I ever happy now.....I am sorry that y'all had a bad time at the Pier 66 but so glad you shared your experience here. Now I am really lookin' forward to the Renaissance....for $75 a night on PL it seems quite a bargain. :)

We got Renaissance on PL for Jan 05. We do not get in until 8:00 the night before the cruise, so I was thinking nothing could be that bad and I have heard it is in a great location from the pier.

As for post-cruise, we are staying three nights and I cannot seem to find anyone who has stayed at the Beachcomber Resort on Pompany Beach????

Thanks,

Patti

Archived