Formal Nights on Antarctica Cruise

librarian

Will be going in Jan. on Discovery for 11 days. Last thing in the world we want to take are suits etc. for formal wear. With boots, warm clothes, gloves, silk underwear etc your luggage is already heavy and the airplanes are so touchy anymore about weight just with lightweight stuff. Can a man get by with just a shirt and tie or do you have to take a coat with you? My husband can not reallly see why there are formal nights for this cruise which takes 2 seasons of clothes already. Thanks for your insight.

Yes, they mention formal nights but how formal is formal night on a ship to this destination? Last year while flying through South America we had to pay huge extra l weight luggage fees and this was not for a cruise but for an active land/ flying trip. It seemed like we had no clothes but what we needed for the trip only and still we were overweight on 4 of our 14 flights. I already weighed by boots, a couple of books, binos, backpack, cords, fleece and I know I have more for this trip then I did for the other one in warm season. For me to throw in a nice pair of pants is not tough but for my husband to put in a suit, shirt, tie and dress shoes it adds up. He was going to try and take his tri-pod with him which he would use much more than just at dinner time 1-2 times. Does anyone have experience with this? Thanks again.

We were on the Marco Polo, in January, 06.

We had two Formal Nights:confused: .

In order to save baggage weight, we just packed "semi-formal" clothes.

Me - Sport Coat, Slacks and tie.

DW - Pants Suit.

Wore both evenings.

Seemed that most passengers did the same.

It's not easy to pack warm weather clothes for Buenos Aires and then Antarctica

Archived