SD1 - March 16 to 23, 2008

DisneyJen

DJ,

That's great news. Congratulations on a job well done. The itinerary that you chose is an excellent one. I think you'll especially enjoy Culebrita.

It's a beautiful day here in Orlando. Hope the weather remains the same for your upcoming cruise on Brand X.

It's cold here in Orlando Ctb!! What's up with this 60 degree weather??? If we had know we were going to be delayed this long we could have gotten together for a drink so we're having one for you in the club.

Jim, I'll be interested in hearing what you and Lois think of the PR ports as there will be two new islands for us. I am looking forward to Culebrita!

Ctb why don't you see if you can talk the Mrs. into joing us for this cruise. I haven't talked to FT yet as she is at work:p

I have recalibrated DH's and my expectations for this year's version of the Brand X cruise (HAL).

I also have planted the idea of a B2B in the Caribbean on SD instead of the Med in '09 for our 25th. The man is tired of flying across the Atlantic:eek:

Well it's no SD here in the Crown Room at MCO but at least the drinks are free:p

• 2 weeks later...

Quite a successful morning ...

Booked our air to SJU for March 15 and returning March 23 using FF miles and cash so we ended up with a very good rate.

Booked hotel (Caribe Hilton) with HiltonHonors point.

Now I better get back to the laundry from last week's HAL cruise:eek:

Hi DJ:

Are packing for SD in San Juan next weekend but after reading your posts have booked HAL (Oosterdam) for Alaska August 2. Our anniversary is Aug. 5 so this was date driven but the itinerary seems good. This will be our first non SeaDream cruise since QM2 Maiden in 2004 so will try hard not to act too spoiled. Were planning something in Europe but you know how that is now. Have not been to Alaska since 89 when I was running a freighter up and down. HAL will be better I am sure. For now, off to Vieqez and the dinoflagellates.

Jim.

Sounds like a wonderful way to celebrate your anniversary Jim!

I am almost done writing my HAL review (it's 4 pages:eek:). I'll let you know when I post it (hopefully by this weekend).

You'll have to let me know how you and Lois like embarking and disembarking from San Juan. I am rethinking our return flights for our March trip as I don't know what we will do until 4:25 p.m. on Easter Sunday in San Juan:rolleyes:

We like San Juan airport much, much better than STT. Last time, we were off the ship at 8/15am and 15 minutes later, checking in at SJU. Flights from 10:00am on should be easy in fact our trip next week has a return flight at 9:45 am. Hope we dock on time.

Jim.

We haven't flown to/from or through SJU in more than 5 years ... I am sure it has changed for the better.

STT was a NIGHTMARE when we flew home in June. Long lines, unhappy people.

It was really quite a pleasure to go in and out of FLL this month (but we arrived the day before).

We have learned to avoid, if possible, ATL, Delta, and STT. the worst of the worst.

We actually flew Delta through ATL the Saturday after Thanksgiving and all of our luggage made it:D The rest of DH's family didn't fare as well ... I think some are still waiting on luggage:eek:

We actually flew Delta through ATL the Saturday after Thanksgiving and all of our luggage made it:D The rest of DH's family didn't fare as well ... I think some are still waiting on luggage:eek:

Tell them to go to the outlet store in Boaz, AL. to look for their bags.

After being a SB traveler, for several years, it seems to be the right time to give SD a try. Usually travel solo, but this time a friend is coming along, her first cruise. Might as well have her on the BEST, right off the bat!

Any ideas what to expect as major differences between SB and SD other than no formal nights?

Thanks for any advise in advance

Taylor

Welcome to SD Taylor!

Are you sailing with us in March?

Last year DH and tried SB and we are back to SD.

Here is a link to my review from last year where I compare the two lines:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=463309

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=463313

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=463753

I agree ctb! Glad that DH finally agree too:p

Any chance you will be joining us?

Sorry for the delayed response, DJ. As Eric the bartender would say "Anything is possible" but being a betting man I wouldn't wager any money on our joining you guys. You'll very likely need to make do without us and I know that if anybody can, you and Mr. DJ are fully capable of doing so.

Sorry for the delayed response, DJ. As Eric the bartender would say "Anything is possible" but being a betting man I wouldn't wager any money on our joining you guys. You'll very likely need to make do without us and I know that if anybody can, you and Mr. DJ are fully capable of doing so.

Well March is a while off ... and we will be visiting the Mouse in June ... so hopefully we will see each other in '08!

Hi Disney Jen

We will be sailing on the March trip. We are really excited to try SD. Have been to this part of the Caribean, but with SB.

The ports are great, and I have not been to Jost Van Dyke in many years. I wonder if we anchor in Great Harbor.

Your comparison of SB and SD was very helpful, and I won't mind leaving the TUX at home. Will ship limited, ( I hope) luggage UPS to our hotel in San Juan.

Thanks for the help, and look forward to meeting you in March. Not at Sky Bar but TOYB.

That's great that you'll be sailing on SD1 with us (or is it that we are sailing with you:p)!

The last time we went to Jost with SD we anchored in Great Bay in the evening before after spending the day in Virgin Gorda so we could tender into Foxy's! We then moved over to White Bay the next morning for our champagne and caviar splash.

I suspect that we will be at White Bay since that is where we will have the splash in March.

Glad you found the review helpful. All reviews are subjective, of course.

I think DH is hoping that I can take a page out of Lois' (Jim Avery's wife) book and just pack my Chico's wardrobe and bathing suits in a roll aboard:eek: Actually I need a suitcase just for my books!

See you at the TOY Bar:D

• 3 weeks later...

Just called our final payment in! Three months to go:D

Took a page out of Jim's book and ssked Jamie in reservations to check the "kid count." She said not everyone has filled out their guest registration forms but so far no children ... but of course I know that is subject to change.

Archived