Lighten The Luggage-leave At Home!

cruisingrightalong

Let us pretend we need to lighten our luggage for our cruise this time! What is the one item that you normally carry with you that you could leave at home this time??

Mine would be the shoe bag organizer in the bathroom BUT that is because I have a hanger thing-y that looks like a bunch of birds nests hung up straight up and down...great for stuffing underwear...socks...cosmetics etc into it in the closet! And it folds up to nothing.

Lou

Let us pretend we need to lighten our luggage for our cruise this time! What is the one item that you normally carry with you that you could leave at home this time??

Mine would be the shoe bag organizer in the bathroom

We just got back from Christmas on the Carnival Fantasy and we loved using the over-the-door thingy. It held everything. :D

I do love the over the door thingy.

I bought the Lori Greiner travel organizer. I can hang every thing I need in the closet or the bathroom. I use the tote for the pool or excursions. Product Detail - Set of 4 Travel Organizers and Tote Bag by Lori Greiner

I think I will leave the shampoo behind. The ship provides pretty decent shampoo. I do like my favorite conditioner. But, I can almost always pick it up in a port.

I am leaving behind the full size tooth paste. Often I have found that the ship has the sample tooth pastes too. If not..... find it in port or on ship.

I think I will skip the hair dryer this next trip. Yes, I know the ship provides one. It isn't always as "strong and fast" as mine but it does take up space.

Robe, I am not packing my robe anymore. I am a platinum member on a couple lines and get the robes and laundry included. There are perks to being a return cruiser.

Lap top. On Princess as a perk I get enough computer time to stay in touch with home IF I need to. After all I am on vacation. I would rather relax and read, swim, nap and make new friends. LOL. :D

I can't wait to go!!

• 1 month later...

On our first cruise DH & I had 4 checked bags & 2 carry on bags.

He informed that I need to get it down to 1 checked bag each & 1 carry on each because it was just too much to keep up with before & after the cruise ship. (airport, hotel, etc)

I haven't a clue where to start cutting back.:confused:

I think we took 2 suit cases with clothes, 1 garmet bag with the dressy stuff, 1 suit case for shoes, and 1 for all the stuff we couldn't put in our carry on bags any longer due to 9-11.

I don't remember what was in the carry-on bags, but I'm sure we needed it;)

Then I hear that a number of airlines are now only allowing one of each per person due to fuel and if you want to check more than one you will pay dearly

Good thing our next cruise isn't until January 2009. Its going to take me that long to figure this out!;)

We are going on a 12 day cruise to Italy and Croatia and are spending a few days in Rome. With American's 50 # weight limit, I will have to leave more than one item behind! :eek: So far I have chosen my formal outfit with sequins, but I think I will still have to be much more selective.

I hope my husband will have a few extra pounds of his weight limit left.

Last year someone mentioned buying a scale. I think it was from Radio Shack. Does anyone have information about that?

We are going on a 12 day cruise to Italy and Croatia and are spending a few days in Rome. With American's 50 # weight limit, I will have to leave more than one item behind! :eek: So far I have chosen my formal outfit with sequins, but I think I will still have to be much more selective.

Last year someone mentioned buying a scale. I think it was from Radio Shack. Does anyone know about that?

We also were always the two suitcases per person checked and each a carry on and personal item. What the heck do you do? I think I can do it maybe on a 7 day cruise with laundry on board but, in Oct we do a 16 day cruise from Rome transatlantic. Plus staying extra days in Rome making our trip 3 weeks. How do you survive with one checkin when you have to pack warm clothes? Looks like black pants will be everynight for dinner except formal nights. And sweat suits everyday worned two or three days. One pair dress black shoes and one pair tennis shoes. It just depresses me. (And we just heard tonight that when we do our land trip to Greece in April, one check in and it can only be 44 lbs. So we lose 6 pounds there to and it will also be cooler weather) HELP!!!

... that on some of these longer trips, many of us will end up paying the $25 to check that second bag. I have tried & tried to pack less ... remove extra shoes, use travel size toiletries as much as possible, plan on wearing (outer) clothes at least twice ... and still can't get down to one bag for a week-or-longer.

Our next trip is 8 days in Vegas ... maybe if I take 2 pairs of shorts for daytime, 2 slacks for night ... assorted tops, I could do it. But no way for cruising, there's so many different types of activities needing different types of clothes!!

My parents just came back from a cruise. My mom took 7 pairs of shoes, only wore her flip flops. We always joke about it because my mom will take all these clothes and wear 2 outfits, white shorts with a pink shirt or pink shorts with a white shirt. On some cruises, she will change it up and wear the white shorts with a black and white striped tee shirt or black shorts with a white tee shirt. But she always packs a whole bunch of clothes.

Last year someone mentioned buying a scale. I think it was from Radio Shack. Does anyone have information about that?

I just used a regular bathroom scale, weighed myself, and then stood on the scale holding a suitcase. My wife has a new suitcase, and first suitcase weigh-in was 52 lbs. Took out a few things, and 45 lbs. My suitcase was only 24 lbs. appx. We check in only 1 bag each. Rearranging heavier items to the lighter suitcase is a good way to go.

Our last 7 day we had three pieces we checked, one carry on, my lg purse and hubby had a school size backpack.And the camera bag. I think if I used the iron service I could get everything into just two bags and a carry on, BUTthere wouldn't have been any room for "STUFF" coming back home with us. I do remember inside one of my bags I had a train case for my stuff. I'll leave that out. Use something that hangs over the bathroom door for both our stuff....like maybe lands end over the door thing.

Target has a travel scale for $9.95 that also has a built in tape measure. You hold the scale and suspend the bag from it. HTH.

I would like to leave many pounds off this fat..ars home and never find it again!...also....I would like to leave the teen pain in the ars daughter home...but she would like that too much...lol:confused: no really...hmmm not so many products..and meds...we did not use many of them...and we pack too many clothes..wear our favs...I do wash..and the rest never get touched..I leave in two weeks and I am really going to think about this....cheers!...lpt

• 3 weeks later...

My husband's children are both LSU grads, and we used to have Cajun restaurants, so we have gone to some games too. The last one was v. Arkansas last year:(. At least things worked out for them in the long run.

Anyway I have my scale, and we are packing. I know I have to pack less this time, so I have lighter clothes for the formal nights. I am not taking a hair dryer this time either.

For others who have gone what did you do to meet the weight and/or baggage limit?

Archived