air travel tips

Hobar

over the past 10 years, we have been lucky to use miles for our trips, flying business first.

for our upcoming november 2008 trip, continental told us they were holding back on releasing award seats because the gas is $3.90/gallon and they will likely need revenue in '08, and when they do release seats, will lower availability for easy pass rewards and even less for standard one pass rewards. if you are continental, you can call delta and use your mileage but again, still tight.

we noticed that the 'regular' business class fares for overseas travel ranged from $4800 to $8000 p/p. AMEX Platinum's two for one is booked at the full fare rate.

so, at a friend's urging we went to a site called www.cfares.com

while expensive (then again, for what one pays for a cruise, it's 'moot') we got two Business First round trip at..drum roll please...$2800 p/p.

Business /first from phoenix to chicago to madrid, then a 1 hr flight to Lisbon. Return(we are going tenerife to madrid on spanair..coach at $111 p/p-cheap). spending two nights in madrid. then Business First, madrid to Chicago to Phoenix.

almost $6K for airfare is staggering to me but when you see what these fares normally cost, it was a most welcome surprise.

i would suggest keep trying your FF programs but i have a feeling that since many americans are not going overseas as much, they will do what they can to squeeze the most money and limit reward travel 'cause..well, it 'don';t put money in the bank."

happy hunting..er..uh..cruising. we are thrilled.

Archived