Hotels recommended in San Diego please?

thetraveller28

Sounds like a lot of people like to book the Holiday Inn because it is close to the port. We used www.biddingfortravel.com and www.priceline.com to get a great deal on the downtown Hyatt (been there before - nice place!) but we have our car to lug our luggage around. Trying going to the RCI section of this board and use the search feature and search for San Diego or Holiday Inn and you can see some of the previous recommendations. Less than two weeks and we are on the Legend OTS!

• 3 weeks later...

The Holiday Inn that is across the street from the Cruise terminal is:

Holiday Inn on the Bay

1355 N Harbor Dr

San Diego, CA 92101

619 232 3861

The other two are:

Holiday Inn Bayside – (3.6 Miles from the Cruise terminal.)

4875 North Harbor Drive

San Diego, CA 92106

619) 224-3621

Holiday Inn Harbor View – (12 blocks from the Cruise Terminal)

1617 1st Ave

San Diego, CA 92101

619) 239-6171

If you want to e-mail me with any questions about hotels or San Diego, please feel free to do so.

iamirish@email.com - iamirish (at) email (dot) com - please put "cruise critic" in the re: line.

Tom

The Holiday Inn across the street from the cruise ship terminal is so close that the bell hops walk your bags over. Another nice thing about it is that it's right at the Embarkadero which is a nice place to stroll around and has 2 nice museums.

Depends on what you are looking for. The Hotel del Coronado is an elegant property and a historic site. I have booked through Priceline for a $40 bid and gotten the Ramada in Old Town, very clean and new with friendly staff. The Holiday Inn next to the Bay is walking distance to the gaslamp area and the mall. Or you can go up on highway 8, about every hotel chain has a location there and you are right between the 5 & 15 highways so you are easy access to wherever you want to go.

Yes, the Holiday Inn by the Bay is the one by the cruise terminal and it is near the gaslamp as well as the Embarcadero. It's a lovely area and there are quite a few more elegant hotels in the area including the Marriot and the Westgate. We go down there quite often and walk around. It's also near Seaport Village and Horton Plaza as well as 2 museums in easy walking distance - the Nimitz which just opened in June and the Maritime Museum which has our lovely Star of India. You can look at the whole area on webcam by the way -

Downtown San Diego That building in the shot is the Cruise Ship Terminal but you can move that cam and look all around. I believe on September 30th we'll have 3 cruise ships in port and every Sunday the Legend of the Seas is in and every Tuesday it's the Monarch of the Seas. Here's the harbor schedule - http://www.sdmis.org/schedule/

Old Town is a very cool place - it's half neighborhood and half park with historic buildings and a whole section where no cars are allowed. We used to take the kids there all the time when they were little because they could run around and investigate and we didn't have to worry about traffic. There's a big cannon in the center green they liked to climb on; most of the restaurants are terrific and reasonably priced and there's usually live music going on and sometimes some ballet folklorico dancing. If you stay there I reccommend Old Town Mexican Cafe and Cantina and you can watch the ladies making tortillas in the front window.

The Hotels up around 8 on Hotel Circle are convenient if you will be here awhile and renting a car. Then it's a breeze to get anywhere you want, Tiajuana, downtown, the beaches etc.. because they are so close to so many freeways - 8 - 805 - 163 - 5 - and not too far from 52 and 15. BUT - if you're only here for a short time, not renting a car and wanting to walk around a little they are not where you want to stay because they are near freeways but not much else. You wouldn't be able to have a lovely stroll by the water in the evening for example. Personally, if I was visiting San Diego for less than a week I wouldn't want to be on Hotel Circle.

Momdebomb (where did you get that name???). What do you think of Holiday Inn Bayside for 3 nights (with a car)? We are still booked there and also at Best Western on Ash St. Can you compare? Thanks. ( I am gathering opinions of those I feel are "in the know"!!)

LOL, it's a name I made up the first time I was able to beat my kids at a computer game and got the high scorer screen - Woo hoo! I kept it when I got my first email account.

I don't know much about those hotels specifically but Holiday Inn Bayside is on the same street as the Cruise Ship terminal only about 3 miles north. It's still on the Embarcadero heading towards Point Loma, nice for evening strolls by the water. I'ts a very nautical area with lots of military personnel because of Fort Rosecrans. You'd be close to Humphrey's by the Bay in case there are any good concerts coming up while you're here.

Ash street is inland from the harbor, but not too far, near the Little Italy section of Downtown. Little Italy is along Ketner and India streets which run perpendicular to Ash. Great places to eat around there and it's sort of an artsy-chic area. It's not as touristy as other areas, although even our most touristy places are full of locals too. If you're here during our anual Art Walk you'd be right there.

I'd say that they are both just as close. I do know that the Holiday Inn has shuttles to the cruise terminal.

I just looked at the Best Western's website and it looks closer and still close to all the things by the harbor and about 1-2 blocks to Little Italy. Their map is marked very strangely but if you look at the three piers sticking out - the top one is the Cruise terminal. The middle one is the Broadway Pier - see how it come in right at Broadway? Broadway is the center of town and Horton Plaza is on Broadway about 6 blocks up from the water. The bottom one is the pier that the Nimitz is tied up to - a museum now.

Archived