Costa Maya port construction ahead of schedule

jetskier

Reported in Seatrade Insider.

Reconstruction of berthing positions one and two are about 58% complete. Both positions will be ready by the summer 2008 although exact dates are not available,

Instead of offering tendering at an earlier date, the port owners are focusing on reconstruction and recovery of the piers. Work on the third berth will continue but will be finished later.

The port is now negotiating with cruise line planners about returning to Costa Maya and final dates should be confirmed next month.

Dave

I wonder if the cruiselines will revise the revised itineraries that were changed after the hurricane. I'm on the Glory in September, currently we're scheduled to go to Roatan instead of Costa Maya, but I would much rather go to Costa Maya. I LOVED it there, it's hard for me to believe it's almost been a year since I was there.

Terri

I guess we will all know next month when they get done negotiating with the cruiselines. They have to convince the cruiselines that it is a good place to go and that the fees are reasonable for them to dock there. I know Mexico passed a new law or was planning on it which would put a head count fee on the port.

Dave

I wonder if the cruiselines will revise the revised itineraries that were changed after the hurricane. I'm on the Glory in September, currently we're scheduled to go to Roatan instead of Costa Maya, but I would much rather go to Costa Maya. I LOVED it there, it's hard for me to believe it's almost been a year since I was there.

Terri

Hi,

I am glad to hear the news about Costa Maya. I have been there and also to Roatan. I was just curious if you had ever been to Roatan? It was our absolute favorite of all the ports we've been to. Absolutely beautiful. I preferred it to Costa Maya, although Costa Maya was nice. If your itinerary stays with Roatan, you won't be disappointed.

What did you do in Costa Maya? We just got off, took a taxi into town and hung out on the beach and had a massage. It was very nice.

I liked roatan because of the mountain views and lush landscapes and the reef was right off shore for snorkling.

Have fun where ever you end up going!

Hi,

I am glad to hear the news about Costa Maya. I have been there and also to Roatan. I was just curious if you had ever been to Roatan? It was our absolute favorite of all the ports we've been to. Absolutely beautiful. I preferred it to Costa Maya, although Costa Maya was nice. If your itinerary stays with Roatan, you won't be disappointed.

What did you do in Costa Maya? We just got off, took a taxi into town and hung out on the beach and had a massage. It was very nice.

I liked roatan because of the mountain views and lush landscapes and the reef was right off shore for snorkling.

We have been to Roatan twice and Costa Maya I believe 4 times. In Roatan, they just opened up a new resort on the little island between the airport and the cruise pier. We are going to Foster's next month but will check out the Fin & Flipper on our trip in November if the schedule has not changed.

Dave

Hi,

I'm glad you liked Roatan, I've never been there and was afraid there wouldn't be much to do. In Costa Maya we went to Majuahal (ok, I just know I spelled that wrong!) to the beach, which was wonderful, then stopped in a couple of bars there. It was a wonderful day. It was such a beautiful day, the people were so nice, one of the few ports I have ever felt so welcome to be there. I would love to go back. I bought some very yummy pommegranite tequila, which you absolutely cannot find for sale in Georgia. Believe me, I've looked!

Terri

hey teedee,

when we were in roatan we did the zipline at Gumbalimba Park and then ended up at Tabyana for lunch and some awesome snorkling right off of the beach. The zipline had some breathtaking views - the ocean in front and back of you at the same time and flying through lush jungle. it was awesome. we are going back to tabyana in march. hope everything works out for the best for you. have fun.

claire

We have been to Roatan twice and Costa Maya I believe 4 times. In Roatan, they just opened up a new resort on the little island between the airport and the cruise pier. We are going to Foster's next month but will check out the Fin & Flipper on our trip in November if the schedule has not changed.

Dave

Hi Dave

I am trying to decide on which area of the beach for March. What do you particularly like about Fosters?

thanks for your help

Sandy

Hi Dave

I am trying to decide on which area of the beach for March. What do you particularly like about Fosters?

thanks for your help

Sandy

Hi Sandy,

It will be my first time using Foster's. Just a bunch of folks from my rollcall were going there. The Tabyana Beach Break through the ship is nice with great snorkeling. The beach is also treated to keep the sand fleas down.

There is also another place I would love to check out called Fins & Flippers. It is a private island right off from where the ship docks. http://www.finsandflippers.com/en/index.html

Dave

My wife and I just returned from Mahahual. We spend 5 days spending our tourist money, since thats the best fix for the loss of the ships. It is amazing on how the entire town is working almost 24 hours a day to get the area re-opened. We stayed at Balamku and could see the pier being worked on all night long. We seem to enjoy the area more each time we go there. Balamku is a fantastic place to stay and the owners Carol and Allan are the best hosts. We are avid San Diego Charger fans, and we had a problem finding a TV to watch the playoff game against the Colts, but the owners of Maya Luna, opened the restaurant for us to watch the games. Fantastic people. Great food, good drinks, beautiful beach, but best of all, the Chargers won. Life is good. The seawall is almost done and they are now starting to put in new underground utilities so they can start on the walkway. The beach now is much wider. No Jet Ski's are now allowed inside the reef so the snorkeling will be much safer. Can't wait to get back down there.

Hi Sandy,

It will be my first time using Foster's. Just a bunch of folks from my rollcall were going there. The Tabyana Beach Break through the ship is nice with great snorkeling. The beach is also treated to keep the sand fleas down.

There is also another place I would love to check out called Fins & Flippers. It is a private island right off from where the ship docks. http://www.finsandflippers.com/en/index.html

Dave

Dave

Thanks for the info. I am leaning towards the Mayan Princess. Have you heard anything about it?

We were also suppose to go to Costa Maya, which I love.:(

Sandy

Dave

Thanks for the info. I am thinking about going to the Mayan Princess on West bay beach area. Have you heard anything about it?

I do miss Costa Maya.

Sandy

It looks like a nice place. Though their website does not mention it, they do daypass for around $10. It will cost you for the taxi to get over there and back. For $35, we are getting transportation and lunch through Fosters.

Dave

How close to the pictures of Costa Maya and Majahual I've seen the rebuilt CM and Majahual is going to be? Are they planning on having another trolley to transport on the pier (the kids would get a kick out of this, I think)?

I found some really neat pics of CM, and it was a port I was unfamiliar with, but now I'm thinking it would be a really neat place to visit and truely hope the renovations are done well to restore it's original charm and beauty.

I'm in the process of putting together a little "info" packet for all of those travelling with us, and wondered what I could tell them to expect.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

The port is now negotiating with cruise line planners about returning to Costa Maya and final dates should be confirmed next month.

Dave

IT's now next month:) , does anyone know when they do this?

Terri

How close to the pictures of Costa Maya and Majahual I've seen the rebuilt CM and Majahual is going to be? Are they planning on having another trolley to transport on the pier (the kids would get a kick out of this, I think)?

I found some really neat pics of CM, and it was a port I was unfamiliar with, but now I'm thinking it would be a really neat place to visit and truely hope the renovations are done well to restore it's original charm and beauty.

I'm in the process of putting together a little "info" packet for all of those travelling with us, and wondered what I could tell them to expect.

Thanks!

The port will look exactly the same other than missing one leg of the pier. They are still going to be working on that section. The town itself will be totally changed.

Dave

My wife and I just returned from Mahahual. We spend 5 days spending our tourist money, since thats the best fix for the loss of the ships. It is amazing on how the entire town is working almost 24 hours a day to get the area re-opened. We stayed at Balamku and could see the pier being worked on all night long. We seem to enjoy the area more each time we go there. Balamku is a fantastic place to stay and the owners Carol and Allan are the best hosts. We are avid San Diego Charger fans, and we had a problem finding a TV to watch the playoff game against the Colts, but the owners of Maya Luna, opened the restaurant for us to watch the games. Fantastic people. Great food, good drinks, beautiful beach, but best of all, the Chargers won. Life is good. The seawall is almost done and they are now starting to put in new underground utilities so they can start on the walkway. The beach now is much wider. No Jet Ski's are now allowed inside the reef so the snorkeling will be much safer. Can't wait to get back down there.

I really hope you come back to this thread, I have many questions about this resort, can you email me at vtoria @ gmail.com?

Thanks

Vicki

We have booked NCL Spirit for 4/2009 and our itinerary shows Costa Maya. They show starting to go back there with the first November 2008 cruise when Spirit returns to New Orleans. The itineraries show changing but their maps still only show going to Roatan.

I am glad they are reconstructing the piers at Costa Maya. I have a question about the construction. Both times we have had Costa Maya on an itinerary, we have had difficulty docking due to wind. Once we missed the port entirely, the second time we did finally make it in. Does anyone know if the re-construction will be the same as prior construction? I was just wondering if there was anything they could do or will do to assist with the wind issue during docking. We are hoping to go back to Costa Maya in the January 2009. We loved the port and are hoping to successfully make it in again. I am at home in an ice storm today and can't help but long for warm tropical locals.Thanks!

Archived