Posted February 15th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Last edited by bcs819; February 15th, 2008 at 04:37 PM
Hi! My DH and I are thinking about a cruise for next May or so and have never been on one. I have done a lot of reading and research, but I still have some questions. Perhaps someone here knows the answers:
1) Do Carnival or RC serve diet drinks? Particularly Dr. Pepper? Or Coke Zero? We have no problem buying the drink cards, but we are both diabetic and neither of us are fond of Diet Coke, which seems to be the only thing most restaurants carry. I am wondering if the cruise lines are the same way.
2) We are both big, tall people and sleep in a king size bed. I have noticed that the twin beds in most of the cabins only make into a queen sized bed. Is anyone able to tell me, especially on Carnival, which type of staterooms/suits will make into a king? I have read the brochures, but I keep getting confused, they seem to contradict themselves on this.
3)I want to use a prepaid cc for putting money in an onboard account. I have never purchased a prepaid cc, and I have heard that some of them work on the cruise lines, and some of them don't. Who knows which kinds work and where I would get that kind?
4)I am a little worried about not finding much to do during the day on the ship. We are not sports oriented. If the pool is full, we won't climb in. We don't sunbathe-there is skin cancer in our family. We don't really gamble. Does that leave us much to do?
Thanks to everyone for all the great advice I have already gotten. I have been copying it off and have made myself a great big file of the best ideas I have found.
1. All cruiselines serve diet drinks, but the selection is limited, and usually the most economical for the cruiseline. You can bring on whatever you want to drink in the way of soda/juice, etc. Every cruise, after flying in, we stop and purchase a 12 pack of Pepsi and Diet Coke. We have a soft collapsible cooler that our cabin steward kept filled with ice. Every day we added a few more sodas to the cooler. You can also bring bottled water, and/or drink packets for them made with Splenda or other artificial sweeteners.
2. The two beds together feel a little larger than my queen size bed at home. NOt sure how large you are (no offense intended), but together we're about 400 pounds and when each is laying on their side of the bed, we don't touch, if that helps.
3. I don't recommend the pre-paid credit cards. If you don't have a credit card, I suggest getting an American Express card. There is no interest as anything on it has to be paid off monthly. Use that for your sign and sail account, and then go down every few days to pay it off with cash or travelers checks. Or you can put down a deposit in cash, they refund you what you don't use at the end of the cruise. There are ATM machines on board.
4. We don't get in pools on cruises either as they are always full. During the day on sea days, the ship offers many activities like craft classes, movies in the lounge, art auctions, tours of the behind-the-scenes stuff like the kitchens, they have game shows with audience participation in the theaters. There are also open air but covered areas on many ships where you can lay and relax without sun and people watch, or read a book, or just hold hands and look out into the wild blue yonder. Keep in mind that many cruises only have 1 or 2 days on the ship while the rest are in port where the opportunities are endless. Go to www.cruiseclues.com
and you can see listings for many of the ship's daily activities.
"so many cruises, so little vacation time"
Carnival Breeze -July 2017
Anthem of the Seas - March 2017
Carnival Pride - February 2016
Norwegian Breakaway - March 2015
Carnival Legend - Panama Canal Crossing - August 2014 - aft wrap
Carnival Freedom - October 2013 - aft wrap
Carnival Liberty - April 2013
Carnival Valor - October 2012 - aft wrap
Carnival Destiny - February 2012
Carnival Pride - Baltimore to Bermuda - September 2011 - Aft Wrap
Carnival Victory Southern Caribbean - May 2011 - Aft Wrap #8433
Carnival Dream - Exotic Western - September 2010 Aft Wrap #9472
Carnival Pride from Baltimore - Aft Wrap #7347 - May 2009,
Carnival Glory Western Caribbean aft wrap 8448 - September 2008
Norwegian Jewel (Southern Caribbean) - February 2008 - cabin 11636 -
Carnival Triumph (Eastern Caribbean) - September 2007 - Our first AFT WRAPAROUND -cabin 8433
Carnival Glory(Western Caribbean) - February 2007 - our first cat 11 - cabin 7248 -
Voyager of the Seas (Caribbean from NJ) - September 2005
Diamond Princess(Mexican Riviera) - September 2004
Grand Princess(Western Caribbean) - March 2003
Carnival Pride(Eastern Caribbean) - June 2002
Carnival Victory(Canada) - June 2001