Fortress of Louisbourg Questions

From what I have been reading on these boards, this is what we would like to do most in Sydney. But since the hubby is a history "buff", I know that the 2 hours the ships tour gives us here will not be nearly long enough.

So what would be the best way to get from the ship to the fort and back again? Local taxi? Local tour? Rent a car? I am thinking that the rental car may be our best option, as we would have control over our own timing.

Also, it sounds like the fort is BIG - what sections/parts of it are "not to be missed"?

Any suggestions (esp. from someone who has done this recently) would be appreciated!!!

I've done it several years ago and 2 hours are definitely not enough to tour everything. I think the best area if you don't have much time is the main area where the entrance is. There is a lot of different things in this area.

Check further down here on the Canada board .. there are several threads about Sydney and Louisbourg.. Definitely, definitely do this if you are a history buff and even if you are not.. allow about 3.5 to 4 hrs (you can have lunch there). The locals have an area set up right there at the dock.. you can get a cab to Louisbourg or try to find something ahead of time on your own.. there is a thread with links for Sydney and Cape Breton..Last your I believe a cab with admission to fortress was about 80 CAD.

We're on the Jewel 10-18 and have rented a car thru Orbitz. It's approx. $45 CAD. If you do this check with your insurance agent. Mine (State Farm) said I needed an ID card from him-free- to prove coverage in Canada. Looking forward to Louisburg.

Jim

Archived