Carnival NEWBIE 4DAY out of Galveston in April

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 09:00 AM.
TX
59 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
Ok this will be my first cruise. I have been reading some of yall's reviews and getting really excited. I was just wondering what to expect. We are both very laid back people and love to have fun (me more than him).
What should I pack? How formal is the formal night? What is the best thing to do in Cozmuel. (ok my spelling sucks sorry). I don't know what to expect. What type of activities do the have and what are capers? I am totally lost right now and we leave next month. I am a total planner and like to know what to expect. ANYONE have any advice?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Garden City, KS
24,783 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
Originally posted by justanothermommy
Ok this will be my first cruise. I have been reading some of yall's reviews and getting really excited. I was just wondering what to expect. We are both very laid back people and love to have fun (me more than him).
What should I pack? How formal is the formal night? What is the best thing to do in Cozmuel. (ok my spelling sucks sorry). I don't know what to expect. What type of activities do the have and what are capers? I am totally lost right now and we leave next month. I am a total planner and like to know what to expect. ANYONE have any advice?

Well in my opinion on Coz, we did the race fantastique and had loads of fun. You can be competitive or just do it for the experience. As for formal night, I am not sure how it is on the Ecstacy, but on the Conquest(same port) it ranged from shirt and tie to tux for men and from basic everyday dresses on women to just short of prom dresses. Don't be worried that you will create a stire either way, dress to feel comfortable.

Are you watching the web cam each time your ship comes into port?? You should. www.galveston.com/webcams then click on the harbor cam. Then come on over to the conquest crazy thread and have some fun with us. We not be cruising from home, but we are always cruising in our minds.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Official Court Jester of the Committed Conquest Crazies

Co-Founder of the Proud Indulgent Rum And Tequilla Enjoyment Society
Gilbert, Az
1,499 Posts
Joined Jun 2007
You can expect to have a great time. Don't worry about it. The cruise is what you make of it. You can be as busy as you want or you can just relax.

Formal night has changed to Elegant night on some ships. I nice cocktail dress and suit used to be sufficient for formal night. You will see all types of outfits.

There's lots of funny activities by the pool such as "The Men's Hairy Chest Contest", "Survivor", etc.

There's also activities indoors such as Trivia Contests, Game Show type Contests, etc.

The Capers is a small flyer with all the days activities along with other information such as shows, special classes, etc.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Kathy

Upcoming Cruises:
Carnival Vista - 01/17 - Southern Caribbean

Past Cruises:
Golden Princess - 08/14 - Alaska
Carnival Magic - 01/12 -Western Caribbean
Carnival Spirit - 10/09 - Exotic Mexican Riviera
Carnival Elation - 12/08 - Cabo
Carnival Miracle - 06/08 -Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Elation - 02/08 Cabo
Carnival Pride - 10/07 - Mexican Riviera
Carnival Liberty - 07/07 - Western Caribbean
Carnival Glory - 10/06 - Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Spirit - 04/06 - Hawaii
Carnival Pride - 07/05 - Mexican Riviera
Carnival Spirit - 02/05 - Exotic Mexican Riviera
Carnival Ecstasy - 03/03 - Baja Mexico
Carnival Elation - 07/00 - Mexican Riviera
Cabot, AR
1,631 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
Carnival makes things easy. The sign and sail card is your money on board. Keep up with this card at all times. It also gets you on and off the ship in ports. Pack for your laid back personality. We usually take nice shorts, sundresses, casual stuff. Take a hair dryer, some ships don't have them and the other ones suck. There are lists of things you need all over these boards. Formal night is formal. Take a dress and he will need a suit. Get lots of pictures taken, you do not have to buy them. (The one we didn't want taken turned out to be our favorite.) Capers are a list of daily activities offered by the ship. Read them closely, you will find something you enjoy every day. We are going to Cozumel on the 19th. We booked Nachi Cocom because there will be 8 ships in port that day and Nachi limits their bookings to 100 people a day. Check cruisecal.com to see how many are in port the day you are there.

Cruises are wonderful. I was hooked after the first one. You will love it. We are laid back people that like to have fun too and a cruise is a perfect fit for us. And do not leave the ship without having a Miami Vice--1/2 pina colada, 1/2 strawberry daiquri. YUM!

have a great time.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
March 2018-- Fascination-- St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Kitts, St. Lucia, St. Maarten
March 2016--Valor--Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, Costa Maya
March 2015-- Jewel of the Seas-- St. Thomas, St. Croix, Antigua, St. Lucia, Grenada
March 2013--Victory--Nassau, Half Moon and Freeport
March 2010--Victory--Southern Carib
March 2009-- Destiny--Grand Cayman and Ocho Rios
March 2008-- Fascination-- Key West & Cozumel
March 2007-- Elation--Grand Turk, Half Moon, Nassau
March 2006-- Fascination--Key West & Calica

Save a life, adopt a pet
Tx
16,598 Posts
Joined Nov 2006
I am a total planner and like to know what to expect. ANYONE have any advice?

You will have a wonderful time! Be very careful NOT to overpack, like my mom and I did on our first cruise! Have you looked for pictures? You can go to www.webshots.com or any of the other photo sites, and look at pictures from other people's cruises on that ship. Another good site is www.cruiseclues.com

Cozumel is VERY safe and very easy to get around. Oh, the water is safe to drink too, they have their own water system so no worries there. I think your ship will be docked at Punta Lagosta dock, which is a perfect place to watch all the people coming back down the dock. Get back onboard a little early and get a good spot on deck to watch the latecomers running down the dock!

Have a good time!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"Some beach, somewhere..." Blake Shelton
Houston, TX
19,296 Posts
Joined Jun 2001
M y DH and I have done this cruise 3 times in 11 months---so you can see how much we loved it !
On formal night, which is second cruise night ---go to the Captain's Party ---it is your only shot at free drinks , then that is lobster night in the dining room ---order doubles of what you want.....My son and husband wore sport jackets, ties and collared shirts ---son lost the tie very soon ---I wore silk jacket, metallic tank and very dressy black pants ..
..you can carry on one bottle of wine each (to enjoy in cabin ---if taken to the dining room ---you pay $10 corkage fee)
Just walking around Coz. is fun ---silver jewelry and $1 Coronas abound !
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Renaissance-Europe 6/2000
Renaissance- Tahiti- 6/2001
Inspiration-Western Carib. 12/200?
Elation-Western Carib. 12/200?
Millenium- Europe-6/2003
Elation- 3 day cruise to nowhere-10/2003
Regal Empress-Central America-11/200?
Norwegian Sea-repo Houston to L.A.-7/2005
Legend of Seas-TransAtlantic-10/2006
Ecstasy- Cozumel-12/2006 , 3/2007, 2/2008, 1/2009
Oceania Insignia-Lisbon to Rio TA-11/2008
Carnival Conquest- 9/2009
Oceania Insignia- 4/2010
Carnival Conquest- Sept. 2010
Carnival Ecstasy- Feb. 5, 2011
Millennium, panama canal sept 2011
Carnival Triumph April, 2012
Oceania Riviera ...Barcelona to Istanbul, July 2012
Celebrity Infinity...TA to London. May 2013
Carnival Triumph. October 3, 2013
Oceania Marina ....March 25, 2014
Carnival Legend ...repo Cali to Oz sept 2014
Carnival Magic...Halloween 2014
Carnival Triumph... November 2014
Norwegian Jade... 21day Med cruise February-March 2015
Carnival Liberty - southern Caribbean September 2015
Norwegian Jade - Coz-Belize-Roatan January 2016
Carnival Liberty. February 2016
Azamara Journey repo Miami to Nice. April 2016
Celebrity Equinox-eastern Med and Adriatic August 2016
Austin, TX
208 Posts
Joined Feb 2008
I would recommend that you buy a video camera to record your first cruise. I bought one for my third cruise last year and I WISHED if I had it on my first. Pictures just don't capture the true cruise feeling. Read my post of the Enchantment in April 2007. This year I will be on Ecstasy on the April 19, so I'll beat you to your first cruise.

I am also very laid back so for all my cruises I only wear shorts and yes even on the dress up night, but I feel it's my vacation and I will be comfortable at all times.

Enjoy!
Southern California
1,509 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
We did this cruise a couple of years ago with 30 family members. We had a blast. My nephew was working on the ship at the time as a DJ. We did a shore excursion to Xcaret. Once there, we took the tour throught the underwater caves. You put on life vests and float in the rivers that go underground through a couple miles of caves. We loved that place. The only down side was that there wasn't enough time. We could have easily spent 4 to 6 more hours there.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Next Cruise: MSC Seaview June 2018; Carnival Dream July 2017. Past cruises: Carnival Inspiration October 2016, NCL Escape March 2016 Carnival Inspiration October 2015, NCL Epic April 2015, NCL Getaway April 2014, NCL Pearl, Thanksgiving 2013, Island Princess May 2013, Carnival Inspiration Feb. 2012; Oasis of the Seas Sept. 2011, Carnival Triumph Oct. 2009, Carnival Pride July 2008, Carnival Freedom June 2007, Navigator of the Seas, November 2006, Carnival Ecstasy August 2006, Monarch April 2006, Carnival Paradise March 2005, Carnival Conquest July 2004, Disney Wonder July 2003, Carnival Paradise September 2001, Carnival Ecstasy February 1999, Royal Cruise line 1994, Holiday 1989, Julbilee 1988, Noordam 1987, Song of America May 1986