Skipping Life Jacket Post has me thinking

Swimfly

I arrived late to the first muster drill I attended, as one of the ship's crew told me I had to wait for the alarm to sound, THEN proceed to my station. Which unfortunately was as FAR AWAY from my cabin as was physically possible without being on another ship. So I got the "look" from many, many people and a snotty comment from the crewmember in charge of the muster station. Nice intro to cruising, huh?

While my family won't be "late" or the last ones to arrive, we are not planning to be the first ones there this time. Each time we have attended before, we were first there and stuck in the back. Which meant the kids could not see or hear anything that was being told or explained to us. We then had to do our own follow-up session with the kids after the drill. We would rather be closer to the front this time - espeically since my kids are more independent now and need to really know what to do in case of an emergency.

I think many people arrive late to avoid it as much as possible. They don't want to wear that jacket or stand there for any longer than they are forced to so they will stay in their cabins stalling then walk as slowly as possible getting there - thus holding the rest of us up.

This is going to sound terrible.... but I am planning to arrive late next time. On our last cruise, the lady's perfume next to me initiated an asthma attack that ruined my first evening on the boat. I just don't feel some people are considerate enought to understand that there are some of us who are affected physically (or emotionally) by the situation.

::::::Stepping into flame retardant suit::::::::

I know on the last ship I was on we were in the Cafe eating and had to go to the cabin on the other side of the ship than get out to the life boat area. So it was not because we were being rude.We just happened to be tired and unaware of the time and across the ship when the alarm sounded.

Someone clue me in -- I've been on a dozen cruises and done a dozen drills. My question is:

Whats the big deal?

You put on a life jacket, go stand around for several minutes, then go about your business when done.

Imagine having to wear that life jacket along with 50 other people on one of those TINY life boats, floating in middle of nowhere at night.

For all you late comers holding everyone up -- try showing up late to the buffet line and see where you end up.

I suppose people would show up and on time for the muster drill if this policy was in effect.

"In the event of of a real emergency. There are enough seats in all the lifeboats except for 1. Seating will be done in the order of arrival for muster drill." :eek:

"Those not participating in muster drill will lose their seat on lifeboat." :eek:

Tough Cruise Line.... :D

Someone clue me in -- I've been on a dozen cruises and done a dozen drills. My question is:

Whats the big deal?

You put on a life jacket, go stand around for several minutes, then go about your business when done.

Imagine having to wear that life jacket along with 50 other people on one of those TINY life boats, floating in middle of nowhere at night.

For all you late comers holding everyone up -- try showing up late to the buffet line and see where you end up.

I think the big deal is that it is difficult for some and people are not understanding. If I show up early and then try to move to the front I catch grief. If I show up late I catch grief. I would rather show up late, be comfortable, and avoid an asthma attack.

Whats the big deal?

Stopped by here on accident and have to agree with this post here...

Gimme a break people, take a bottle of champagne with you and use the occasion to initiate the cruise!

I have seen people put on their life jackets the very moment they arrive on board. Then they walk all around the ship wearing them for hours. I am not one of those. I am very happy to be at the drill, but not the first one there. Nancy

Easy. They think the rules don't apply to them and they are above everyone else. And proof of my point is that is someone reads this post and are guilty, they will get upset with my post.

People arrive late because of a total lack of respect for others. (It's all about me.)

This is going to sound terrible.... but I am planning to arrive late next time. On our last cruise, the lady's perfume next to me initiated an asthma attack that ruined my first evening on the boat. I just don't feel some people are considerate enought to understand that there are some of us who are affected physically (or emotionally) by the situation.

::::::Stepping into flame retardant suit::::::::

I wish people would understand that they don't have to bath in perfume/cologne just a little dab will do ya. If you can smell your own perfume...it is waaayyyy to strong. I get instant migraine headaches from most perfumes and colognes. We have to use unscented everything in our home.

Archived