Our Cruise

chayisun

I hope nobody minds if I post this. See, we are off on a cruise. Not just any cruise but we are going to cross the Atlantic Ocean.

Crossing the Atlantic in style is a far cry from what my ancestors had to do.

I've been told they crossed on some rickety old coal burning tramp steamer. They didn't have a cabin, they slept on the deck, swamped periodically, by sea water....And no room service.

However, they made it and now I shall be following them, well, in reverse.

I do feel a bit guilty, having a cabin with a balcony, 24 hour room service and food, everywhere. Well, not THAT guilty.

Anyway, as for the cruise, I hope we don't meet up with any problems, like pirates.

Pirates have been know to attack cruise ships and board them. So I will be on the lookout for any signs of pirates. Yep, I will watch for them from my balcony, in my lounge chair, a glass of milk in one hand ( No alcohol, I want to have a clear mind and clear eyes watching for pirates ) And my arm around my best gal, Sue, singing.."I'm a Lumberjack"....

I was told the other day that there is a possibility that we might have a problem with huge waves. I didn't know that there would be Navy personnel on board. I hope I beat them to the buffet line......

Yes, we are looking forward to this cruise. Well, most of it. Sue has told me we are going to go dancing....I hate dancing. I'd rather eat. Actually, I'd rather go to the dentist.

I am trying to figure out how to get out of the dancing thing. I'm thinking that maybe I'll sprain my ankle while carrying my food tray from the buffet.

Also, I can only hope that the cruise ship band gets kidnapped by those pirates. And, if they don't, then I hope I get kidnapped by those pirates.....

One thing about cruising, you meet people, some really strange people. On our last cruise, we met some folks from Mississippi who had never been on a ship before....Canoes don't count.

They spent most of the cruise trying to figure out how fast they were walking when they were walking in the same direction as the ship. Kept comparing the ship to their 4 wheel truck...I never asked why.....We ended up trying to hide from them.

Another couple kept their lifejackets on and checking the lifeboats. They told us they saw the movie "Titanic" and wanted to be prepared. We hid from them, too.

Another couple were afraid of U-Boats. U-Boats. From the second world war. Thought it might be possible that there could be ghost U-Boats out there.....They also wanted to get everyone to-gether and have a seance, one night. We hid from them.

One morning I was out on the track, jogging along, minding my own business, when this lady joined me as I ran along.

She said hello and I asked her how she was......Apparently, she just lost her husband, he ran away with his secretary, this was good because she sold the house, bought a new car, bought a new condo and was on the cruise, had gout, her back was sore......I hid from her, too.

This time we plan on keeping a low profile. If I can only convince Sue that a low profile means no dancing.....

2228079204_f525d6ba5e_t.jpg

I'd rather eat and dance anyday if going to the dentist was the alternative.

432183287_63b33c98cd_t.jpg

If any of the pirates looked like this I would turn myself over to them immediately.

489789658_4bef5ff576_t.jpg

I would let any of these guys go ahead of me in the buffet line even though I am old enough to be their mother. It boils down to the man in uniform thing.

Enjoy your cruise and don't hide from anyone. It's all the different types of people that make cruising so interesting.:)

Laura

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I hope you had fun. We did this on the Constellation in September 2007. One of our ports before crossing was Cobh/Cork Ireland-where most of our (as the US, not just my family) Irish annecstors crossed from. I did the museum there which was in the building that they went through before boarding ship.

As I had 2 gg grandparents who were born in Ireland and left before 1872 when my g grandmother was born in Indiana, it gave me "shivers" to know I walked where they had walked, as they had left from Cork.

You are right-they did not cross in comfort by a long shot-it is all depicted for you in that museum.

Archived